• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shocking GPS

Arterion

Lurker
Apr 17, 2010
Hi all, I got my Desire today and I have to say I'm fairly impressed apart from what could only be described as shockingly poor GPS performance. It places my current location as several miles away from where I actually am- not even inside the blue circle- which renders the device useless for anything such as finding directions or as a SatNav.

Is there any way to improve this awful awful performance?

I think you will find that google navigation is as good as or possibly better than tomtom. I use car locater and it knows my exact position and like I have already said, you need to try google navigation, you will be surprised how accurate it really is.

A lot of people find that the actual phone sometimes says you are a couple of miles down the road but all the apps know your exact location :)

Upvote 0
My Desire has been stunningly accurate except on Monday afternoon when (for the first time) I needed to use the Sat Nav to get to Manchester Airport. All the way there it was saying I was in the highlands of Scotland or worse, the middle of the sea!

The stupid thing was I was clicking on "My Location" and it showed me where I was but when asking for navigation to start it kept taking me to Scotland! When I got to within 30 miles of home it started working properly and hasn't failed me since.

Weird!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones