• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should Google have Samsung's back?

At the end of the day, the lawsuit covers yesterday's phones and tech, I'm sure Google will try to improve android even further, and Samsung will still try to make better phones and additions to Android such as touchwiz, it's not all about the past, these companies will be looking to the future.

If anything, Google & Samsung may still work together, they would be foolish not to, Samsung's tech paired with Google's android os makes for an awesome portable tech solution, I think Samsung might just listen closer (as if it didn't already seem like they are) to any warnings given.

Upvote 0
Google own Motorola now, don't they? Conflict of interests right there. Other companies can have android because they host android & google. But where was samsung 10 or 15 years ago? Making televisions. They got a bit hasty in jumping on the mobile phone bandwagon & they cheated. Lessons will be learned. Much of the tech world operates in this manner, make a quick buck cheaply, that's why apple stuff is made in China. Take short cuts at your own risk!

Upvote 0
I understand that but google probably making money some type of way, Ads maybe or similar. I don't really know.

As mention earlier if Google warned Samsung about the designs of some phones then Samsung may be on their own.

Correct, Google makes money of of Android via ad exposure. Regardless of UI skin, etc.

Ironically, Google makes a pretty hefty amount of money off of Mac OS (whatever the actual name of it is) and iOS, too. As Google is the default search engine in Apple software.

---------------

As for the topic on hand: Google does have Samsung's back, but in this particular case, there's nothing Google can do. I've been reading articles on the topic, too. Now that the shock and awe has worn off, analysts are actually looking into the details of the case. And, as a result, it's not looking so bad for Google.

First, there is the brand new lawsuit Google filed against Apple on Friday. This has been under reported, but it seeks to be significant. Especially seeing how it's going to be in Google/Motorola's home turf instead of Apple's. The Apple vs Samsung case was held 10 minutes from Apple's Cupertino campus. Yeah...like they weren't going to find biased jurors there. So the focus may be on the appeal more so than the initial trial, where the case will be held in another district.

Second, another article I was reading says that the verdict actually improve's Google's standing. How? Because Google's statement can be read as: "You see what happens when you don't use vanilla Android?" As a number of the patents were cosmetic in nature (like icons). Where the only thing Apple was able to attack on the GNex was universal search. Google wants people to use vanilla Android, as it's easier to update and reduces the fragmentation issue. This case with Apple has strengthened Google's point about sticking to AOSP.

So really, it's yet to be seen what happens. But this is far from a death knell for Android. It being open source will mean that it'll be adapted and will change to be what it needs to be. I'm sure that after a nuclear winter only two things will have survived: Cockroaches and Android smartphones.

Upvote 0
Correct, Google makes money of of Android via ad exposure. Regardless of UI skin, etc.

Ironically, Google makes a pretty hefty amount of money off of Mac OS (whatever the actual name of it is) and iOS, too. As Google is the default search engine in Apple software.

Apple wants to change that by dumping Maps and using apps and Siri to replace searching

Upvote 0
Apple wants to change that by dumping Maps and using apps and Siri to replace searching

Luckily enough for Google, Siri sucks and isn't on OS X (thanks for confirming that Hitman). So Safari still has it as it's default search. I've been reading articles where Apple isn't quite keen on switching to Bing or some other search service, because Google is still seen as the best.

Upvote 0
Maybe Google should have their back. I would assume Google is making alot of money from Samsung using Android, and Samsung could just as easy switch to Win8 in the future. They can cut a deal with MS.

Go all in with Win 8? That's just silly. They've sold over 50 million Galaxy S line smartphones. I doubt even 50 million Win 8 phones have sold total. Samsung put themselves in this position. I don't know what's going to happen to Samsung with the Galaxy S III (possibly some lawsuits, mainly due to S Voice I imagine), but now learning what they have, their designs will be different in the future.

Google just got done dealing with Oracle, who will likely appeal the verdict, so them jumping into help Samsung was unlikely. Especially since Samsung wielded so many patents on their own. The trial was a farce especially since they didn't uphold any of Samsung's patents. I think the rematch in a higher court will yield better results for Samsung.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones