• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I avoid 4.2?

Mine was (is) stock, no root, and all my apps work fine (except Amazon Appstore)... but then why should Google care if they are compatible with Amazon, Amazon should care!

50% of the apps (that I had on my phone) when I bought the N7 2 months ago were not compatible, a couple weeks later they were! Whether it be a new device or a new software upgrade... Google makes their stuff work (at least most of it), developers are the ones that need to make their apps work with it. Give them some time... and you'll wonder how you couldn't live without 4.2... then you can can complain about how 4.21 doesn't work.

Stay away! Ruined so many apps, its a pos! My nexus was stock and it had way too many problems.

Upvote 0
Got my Shiny new Nexus 7 on Saturday and within 10 mins out of the box 4.2 update came through. Did it straight away and I think it's great. Watched all the youtube vids before I brought it and all were going on about home screen doesn't auto rotate and so, all fixed with 4.2. have noticed a few apps not compatible but that won't take long. Loving it.:)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Is anyone else seeing a dramatic loss in battery life? I got my N7 about a week ago and on 4.1.2 I was at 99% after my regular morning email/forum/RSS check. After 4.2 I am at 82% for the very same thing. Can anyone point me to a way to go back to 4.1.2?

Yeh I'm similar, a good 10% more drop after my morning checks and usage.

Upvote 0
Just go to Settings > Security > Screen lock. You can choose none or several other options. Available in 4.12 and 4.2.
Yup, that's exactly what I did lol. I did remember someone saying it didn't work on 4.2 though but, I didn't have my Nexus next to me last night :)O) to check if what I'd read was correct or not.

Solves a lot of problems lol. I really didn't like the lock screen but, I have a case that has the magnets in, so turns the screen on and unlocking it just seemed irritating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones