• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I buy a Thunderbolt Out of Contract?

What should I do?

• Buy a Thunderbolt

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Wait you moron!

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Buy a Droid Incredible 2 and wait till summer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

doomedromance

Android Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2009
The Left Coast
I am really really sick of this Droid 2 that VZW replaced my Droid with. I'm sick of Moto services invading my phone and slowing it down. There's no true ASOP build. This phone sucks balls.

I was set on buying an Incredible 2 OoC b/c it was cheap at $440 and saving my upgrade till later, but where I'm moving to next week already has LTE towers.

Do I really want to wait 2 months using this laggy trash? And possibly end up getting a TB anyway because the other phones coming out suck.

Or do I want to get a TB and save my upgrade till later in the Q4 2011/Q1 2012 when NFC Ice Cream Sandwich phones come out.

Try to get Verizon to replace your Droid2 with a ThunderBolt. Since you never purchased the Droid2 and they forced it on you, let them know that it is not acceptable to you. If you had to purchase new batteries for the Droid2, let them know that you expect them to reimburse you for this expense as well. If you are polite but firm and a good negotiator, and especially if you are a long-term customer, there's a good chance you and Verizon can work out this type of solution. They've done this type of thing for me many times; it certainly helps that I've been a Verizon customer since 1998.

Upvote 0
I'd say skip the Thunderbolt. I went from a Droid X(similar to the Droid 2) to it and it feels like a downgrade. Way too many problems and way too few upsides. I'm trying to get rid of my Thunderbolt as we speak.

I upgraded from my Droid X. Didn't like it at all. I much prefer htc. And, Verizon 3G in the areas I use the phone really sucks. The 4G is amazingly fast.

Upvote 0
If they won't give you the TB, just buy it outright. It's worth it because now my upgrade is february of next year. By then Dual-Core will be refined, Ice Cream Sandwhich will be out, and im sure HTV will be sick of the battery complaints and finally do something. Or maybe a Verizon Good Nexus phone? Yea it's gonna be a sweet 2012.

Upvote 0
I don't know how well complaining about my phone will work. I bought my droid the day it came out, it broke a month after the D2 came out. So I've had this POS phone for a while now.

I avg over 2.5gb of data a month. My contract upgrade doesn't come up till mid July. which is around the time I hear the tiered data plans are coming. So if it will grandfather me into unlimited 4G the few hundred dollars might be worth it. I figure I can sell the D2 and sell the TB later this year and make some of my investment back.

Upvote 0
You should be able to upgrade early for a small "early upgrade" fee added to the subsidized price.

Peeps over at XDA recommended craigslist. I can probably get a TB for around $300 which I'm assuming would be how much I'd pay at VZW since the phone is $250 on contract.

I think that might be the way I'm going so I can keep my upgrade for something else. I just pray I don't get scammed. =/

Upvote 0
hmm, close call. I can usually talk my local reps into an upgrade without the fee (we have a handful of phones with them, and they know me), but you are right, with the fee, it will likely be about that price. New, but using your upgrade v. used preserving your upgrade. If you check the phone out thoroughly, might be OK.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones