• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Should I create an app or widget?

GoNC

Lurker
Jun 15, 2015
I want to build something that my mobile users can install on their phone, to alert them when they have a new Private Message. I really just want it to be an icon where a number pops up when they get a message.

Question 1: am I correct that this requires them to install a widget?

Question 2: can you guys point me in the right direction of building an appropriate app or widget to do this?

Question 3: this will obviously require the user to be logged in to the site, which would require either a persistent cookie, or something unique on their phone to verify their identity. Since I'm new to this, I don't know... is that an issue for mobile widgets? If so, how do I get around it?

I had found an older tutorial that showed how to make a widget to do this in HTML and JavaScript (which was relatively simple), and then ended with zipping it up as a .wgt extension. But that article seems to be outdated, as none of the devices I've tested with recognize that extension.

TIA!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones