• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Should I exchange to be safe?

It almost never fails. No matter what I do to prevent it. All the research in the world, waiting for the initial release to purge....everything I can and yet I still end up with a phone I absolutely love but that has issues. It is tough, because I am suffering from an illness that doesn't allow me to do most of the things most people can do physically as far as running around and what not and it is also attacking me mentally trying to problem solve and teach myself through these forums. Also because of it, I have to have a phone that works for emergency purposes. I want a spectacular phone because let's face it, I don't have much of a life in bed and can only watch so much t.v or play so much xbox etc. This phone excites the hell out of me and I have always had an allergy to apples. ;]

So, here is my issue after that little whiny rant. A few awesome people helped me out when I got this phone a little over a week ago. They instructed me in doing just what I could do to the phone without the possibility of voiding my 30 day exchange with at&t. Although those idiots probably would not know a rooted phone from a standard but I wanted to play it safe for those reasons above. I need to feel comfortable with this phone at that 30 day mark. And cannot afford to pay a dime extra or replace this phone because of my crazy medical costs and I have had a couple problems I was told to monitor during the next week or so.

The initial problem and following issues seem to be what a large group are already dealing with. It started when I woke up to find my phone turned off. I knew it had a full charge but could not get it to turn on with or without a power cord attached. I was finally able to get it back on by pulling the battery. Since then, it went 3 days with not more than a minor lag here and there and then today and yesterday it randomly shut itself off during the day. Once sitting on my bed and once in my pocket (although I doubt I was able to shut it down pocket style on accident.

So I guess my question after all of this (I feel the need to explain myself all the time because most people just do not understand my circumstances and how they play into everything) would be: Only 10 days into my 30 days with at&t, should I immediately return my phone to normal and exchange it right away? It seems like a no-brainer, but I cannot afford to waste the energy making that trip if it is something simple to fix. Also, if you have any other advice or tips on how I should handle the remaining 20 days after I replace the phone, anything would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Exchange it. If you have more than one AT&T corporate store in your area (assuming that's where you got it from) go to a different location. Their inventory may be more stable. I got my third device from a store in a different city. No guarantees, of course, but why dip into the same barrel if other barrels are available?

If it happens with your second device, exchange it again. Immediately. I understand and am sorry about your current physical limitations. Consider getting in touch with AT&T to let them know that a family member / friend is authorized to act as your proxy during the exchange(s). This way your mobility won't be taxed.

Do not settle.

P.S. I did some homework regarding AT&T stores in Aurora. Not to "baby" you, but here they are for your convenience:

Unit A, 14401 E Bayaud Ave, Aurora - (303) 343-4192

6755 Cornerstar Way, Aurora - (303) 680-9028

Reactions: gicuenitro
Upvote 0
Once again to the rescue Jack!

Thanks a ton for your advice and for taking the time to do that research for me. I will explore that option of having someone act for me, that sure would make things easier. I did all the prep work last night un-rooting(just to be safe) and clearing the phone of any personal data. I think I am pretty much ready to go!

Thanks again bud!

Upvote 0
With some help from the family and no line at the store I was able to get through it quickly and painlessly. Thanks again.

Quick question though. Should I follow the same path we talked about a few days back? One click root and keep things simple for now? What is the difference in the beast root? I definitely don't want to mess with something that already works, I just was interested in the extra things it did. Which, is not always good i guess. haha ;]

Picking your brain again jack.....sorry. And if you need to tell me to hush...go for it..lol. Thanks though!

Upvote 0
Root only if there's something you need to do that actually requires root. Otherwise don't mess with things, as you open yourself up for issues later.

"Unleash the Beast" is a lot more than root. It changes a ton of settings, adds a bunch of nonstandard things, and removes a bunch of the stock components which pretty much ensures that future updates won't apply.

Avoid lagfixes unless you're the sort of person who has a NOS tank on their car and understands the potential risks and guaranteed consequences.

Reactions: gicuenitro
Upvote 0
Thanks guys! I feel real comfortable with where I am at thanks to you guys and a few other kind and helpful people. I am definately not Tim Allen but I do like to explore a bit to the extent of what Jack is talking about. I don't need to go crazy. I don't need to do anything serious and illegal. I just want to be happy with the phone and the money I spent to get it (especially at the end of these 30 days). And of course, need it to work.

Thanks again...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones