• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I upgrade?

Well, it's just an external keyboard that uses bluetooth to communicate with your phone.
Make and model?

As for the set up, put the keyboard into pairing mode, then do the same on the phone. Type in a 4 digit number on the phone, then type the same number on the keyboard and hit enter.
Did you actually do this on an unrooted phone?

Upvote 0
I got it working! It is a little counter intuitive, but it works. After much searching, I found a driver that does the job. The native support Jerry used doesn't seem to be on my phone, so I went looking over at XDA. Nothing there worked either, but I found an app called BlueKeyboard JP (free). Set it up with Apple Wireless Keyboard mapping, and it works. The function keys are mapped wrong, but on the qwerty mapping they don't work at all, which means no punctuation.

Upvote 0
I have to admit, your attitude regarding this is irritating. I have no wish to start a flame war, but you always seem to jump in and berate people about this issue. I understand if this is a pet peeve of yours, but I'm following the flow of conversation. Sometimes the lines get a little blurry, but that's no reason to talk to people that way. If it bothers you that much, why not just report it and ask to have it moved? Or PM AndyOpie150 and ask him to move it?

Upvote 0
Make and model?

Did you actually do this on an unrooted phone?

First question - that info is next to impossible to find, but I'd be happy to post a link to the Amazon page when I don't have a sleeping infant in my lap.
Second question - root isn't required, but 2.3 is. I didn't find that out until after the fact. So if root is what bothers you, it isn't required in general, but it is in this specific context.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones