• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should Sprint accept unlocked Verizon iPhone's?

Should Sprint accept unlocked Verizon iPhone's?

• Yes

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All of your points are valid, and your overall inclination is probably right. The most logical reason Apple wouldn't do it though is they maintain exclusivity/premium status by having ATT & VZW bid against each other for the 4G iPhone.
If it is lte, it will work on both att and vzw network. Here is the big problem. Att and VZW work at 700mhz, wimax works at 2.5ghz. The higher the frequency, typically, the higher the throughput/lower the penetration. What it takes for at 700mhz to hit 50mbps/20mhz, takes 2.5ghz, about 10mhz. My point is, apple will not release any 4g phone unless it is 100% up and stable, they did this for 3g. Right now, I can nail about 125mbps with wimax, about 100mbps with lte, in the lab. In real world testing, I can nail them both at 50mbps before exceeding bandwidth of the internet server. Yes, I can pull information quicker then the internet can give it. With wimax, I can hit 99mbps, hitting my own server, in real world tests. I can also hit my own server at 91mbps with lte. BUT ONLY using the 2.5ghz frequency. Verizon will be using the 700mhz spectrum so it will need to increase radio frequency, to increase throughput. But this will also limit the number of people using the network. What really needs to happen is a dynamic system in which the right technology matches the right need. Which will happen right after we have a good buildout, and egos get replaced by the need for money. Once that happens apple will then get on the 4g bandwagon, which means you have many years.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see them try that speed test here where AT&T is a lot faster than Verizon.

CNET is the LAST place I would go for non-biased tech information.

Every carrier has some areas where they're faster. If that test was done in NYC where the VZW annoucement was, I believe it though. I'm in NYC all the time, and I'm constantly outperforming iPhoners and ATT network users. When I do Wimax, they don't even want to do download/upload speed tests.

Don't blame CNET for this one.

Upvote 0
If it is lte, it will work on both att and vzw network. Here is the big problem. Att and VZW work at 700mhz, wimax works at 2.5ghz. The higher the frequency, typically, the higher the throughput/lower the penetration. What it takes for at 700mhz to hit 50mbps/20mhz, takes 2.5ghz, about 10mhz. My point is, apple will not release any 4g phone unless it is 100% up and stable, they did this for 3g. Right now, I can nail about 125mbps with wimax, about 100mbps with lte, in the lab. In real world testing, I can nail them both at 50mbps before exceeding bandwidth of the internet server. Yes, I can pull information quicker then the internet can give it. With wimax, I can hit 99mbps, hitting my own server, in real world tests. I can also hit my own server at 91mbps with lte. BUT ONLY using the 2.5ghz frequency. Verizon will be using the 700mhz spectrum so it will need to increase radio frequency, to increase throughput. But this will also limit the number of people using the network. What really needs to happen is a dynamic system in which the right technology matches the right need. Which will happen right after we have a good buildout, and egos get replaced by the need for money. Once that happens apple will then get on the 4g bandwagon, which means you have many years.

I understand your technical points, but I don't think Apple will be able to wait for the dust to settle. Too many phones to sell in that timeframe and too little investor patience will force them down this path.

The reason I lean towards Apple caving in is also that they will be able to bring a 4G phone to market faster outside the US where there are markets where this issue is settle. I don't know enough firsthand, but I think Japan is where the technology will emerge. I would not be shocked to see Apple release their first, perhaps in partnership with NTTDocomo.

Just speculation from a forward-looking and wishing investor, not a technician.

Upvote 0
All of your points are valid, and your overall inclination is probably right. The most logical reason Apple wouldn't do it though is they maintain exclusivity/premium status by having ATT & VZW bid against each other for the 4G iPhone. I don't think Apple will do that though.

Consider these things:
  • Apple is fully aware it's losing market share to Android.
  • Apple is fully aware that staying on ATT allows it to have the option of that version of LTE without doing much other than testing it out. By the way, the tie with ATT still leaves iPhone as a "global" phone via GSM.
  • The iPhone gained it's sales and reputation for being unique. While 4G-capability via LTE or Wimax wouldn't make it unique, it would open the door to a lot of repeat customers.
  • No chance an iPhone would be released at this point that isn't Wimax + LTE. Now that Apple has iPhone on both ATT & VZW, why ever go back to a one-carrier exclusive when you can do it via dual Wimax+LTE device?
  • Apple's true market is to be able to sell 4G compatible phones in other parts of the world first or at least to a more advanced standard that already exists. If Apple wanted to give ATT a nudge, this is how to do it.
  • CNET just posted a speed test of iP4 on ATT vs VZW. ATT came out on bottom. And since I think this is only going to fuel even more defectors to VZW, ATT will have to pull out all stops to get the 4G iPhone first. Though I won't go so far as to say ATT has to go all-in, I'm not convinced ATT's not far from that level of concern. If not, they should be.
The primary reason Wimax might make sense for ATT and iPhone is through ties to U-Verse and making the link between home and smartphone. I can't see that happening though.

Both AT&T and Verizon will use LTE, not WiMax.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones