• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shrimpocalypse Tower Defense!

R

RedToasty

Just promo to let everyone know a new tower defense game has been released on the market. Not one of the usually common fixed path ones, another proper fast paced open grid, mazey buildy, affair!

5010846887_378f7af671_z.jpg

The Full version features:

9 Maps!
5 Fiendish Difficulty Levels!
Various Angry Sea Creatures!
Multiple Online Scoreboards!
A Friends Feature for Tracking Your Buddies Best Scores!
Fantastic Original Music Track!

Shrimpocalypse Free

We've also just released a cut down version with adverts, under the name of "Shrimpocalypse Free". Much the same, but limited to 2 maps, 2 difficulty levels, no upgrade shop and no friends list.

We're keen for feedback, and we'll be releasing new features and game types as time goes on. We're keen to make Shrimpocalypse the very best mobile Tower Defense Game, on any platform! Email me direct, post on our forums or reply here what issues you have, or what you'd like to see changing and I'll do my best to get back to you all!

Thanks very much and happy crabbing! ;)

Free version QR

shrimpfree.png

Full version QR

shrimpfull.png

Dinosaur Planet

Cheers! :)

We'd be intruiged for any feedback on how you get on. We're working on a few bits at the moment, I may well add the entire shop to the free version, the item buying grind is good fun!

We're reworking the tutorial as well, it's a bit of a wall of text at the moment. Interestingly no one has got any really good scores on the table yet, so I'm thinking the score bonuses system might be a bit confusing too.

Upvote 0
ok some feedback.....

• love the music!
  • The tutorial needs to be improved - first of all it wouldn't load coz I couldn't get a signal (so can't you make it in built in the game rather than having to load a webpage?) but also it could do with some graphics - so when you describe the towers and what they do - a little graphic can show which one you it is referring to.
  • No pause button? The only way to pause it I've found is to click MENU. A little pause button would be ideal. My phone went to sleep after I clicked MENU and when I went back to the game it reset...it lost all my progress :(
  • Perhaps some of the waves could have a mixture of enemies...
I really enjoy it (the free version) but not convinced enough to buy the full version just yet ;)

Upvote 0
ok some feedback.....

• love the music!
  • The tutorial needs to be improved - first of all it wouldn't load coz I couldn't get a signal (so can't you make it in built in the game rather than having to load a webpage?) but also it could do with some graphics - so when you describe the towers and what they do - a little graphic can show which one you it is referring to.
  • No pause button? The only way to pause it I've found is to click MENU. A little pause button would be ideal. My phone went to sleep after I clicked MENU and when I went back to the game it reset...it lost all my progress :(
  • Perhaps some of the waves could have a mixture of enemies...
I really enjoy it (the free version) but not convinced enough to buy the full version just yet ;)

Yay, big thanks for the feedback! :D

The tutorial is RIGHT at the top of our list at the moment, the current block of text is horrible. We've also had players from all over the world, a graphical version would work MUCH better!

Thanks for the bug regarding pausing, I'll have to check that one out today and get it fixed in the next patch. If you press back or menu in game, it should pop up the Quit? dialog, and pause the game, I'll make this a bit more clear and make sure it doesn't reset the game if it loses it!

Good idea about mixing up the spawning, it'd be quite an easy one to implement as well. We've had a few thoughts in that area, we also wanted random waves spawning with a colour tint, who were immune to certain tower types but worth extra points. Just to push for a bit of variety.

Thanks again for the feedback! This is literally the first release, so a few things have been spotted and will be fixed within a big patch later this week. :)

Upvote 0
One other big suggestion mate...

You've got a great theme going on with the fish (and already mentioned the music is perfect and fantastic) but the towers don't really fit in with your theme.

You have 'shot tower' , 'mortar tower' and 'shock tower' etc with their descriptions. But none of these really suit the fish theme? And the only one that even mentions fish is the 'Air Tower' where it mentions gulls.

If you look at other top tower defence games... Retro Defence - has lasers etc that suit the theme of retro. Robo Defence - has guns and missile launchers that again suit the theme.

So for me I'd love it if the towers had more of a fish theme. Rather than using mortars to attack the fish....why not 'tridents' or 'fish spears' or 'fishing nets' etc - you get the point. The fishing nets would slow down the enemies...the tridents could get the air enemies and so on...!

I just think if you change the towers to suit the fish theme you will have an awesome game on your hands :)

Upvote 0
One other big suggestion mate...

You've got a great theme going on with the fish (and already mentioned the music is perfect and fantastic) but the towers don't really fit in with your theme.

You have 'shot tower' , 'mortar tower' and 'shock tower' etc with their descriptions. But none of these really suit the fish theme? And the only one that even mentions fish is the 'Air Tower' where it mentions gulls.

If you look at other top tower defence games... Retro Defence - has lasers etc that suit the theme of retro. Robo Defence - has guns and missile launchers that again suit the theme.

So for me I'd love it if the towers had more of a fish theme. Rather than using mortars to attack the fish....why not 'tridents' or 'fish spears' or 'fishing nets' etc - you get the point. The fishing nets would slow down the enemies...the tridents could get the air enemies and so on...!

I just think if you change the towers to suit the fish theme you will have an awesome game on your hands :)

Oh, good idea, we'll have to have a good think, I like the idea of firing tridents and nets across the levels. Given the tutorial and effects needs work it'd be a good time to change the graphics of the turrets, the projectiles and icons need redo'ing too fortunately.

We did previously have the towers as sand castles, but from above it was a bit vague what the yellow blob was.

Huge thanks for your feedback by the way! We're approaching 1000 downloads, but haven't had much feedback yet, we're eagerly looking for ideas on things to change :)

Upvote 0
We've got loooads of things to go through at the moment. The towers are on the list, we plan on also having a smaller graphic for rank 1, which scales up to rank 2, then a totally different graphic for rank 3. This will probably involve removing the lights on them, making them draw faster too as a bonus. We also want effects on the aoe turrets, so what graphic these end up with I'm not sure.

We're sat on 4.5 average though which is a bonus. We did a couple of minor patches last weekend to tidy a few bits up and seemed to boost the average.

The limitations in graphics are purely because we want the phone running on as MANY phones as possible, its uses absolutely tiny textures at the moment. We could do a high res version, selectable from the options one day.

Also on the list for next patch (as well as turrets) is:

Achievements (because everyone loves them!)
French/German translations (which we have done, just need to implement)
A Survival mode (with its own score board)
A better tutorial
Score targets for quick play, which award bronze/silver/gold tropheys

It's a pretty meaty patch, so might take a week or so to get out, tested, polished and published.

Upvote 0
Played the demo, it's fun. I liked it enough to buy it. Unfortunately I uninstalled. As much as I do like the game, it bugs the whiz out of me that you can't save in the middle of a game. So if you can't finish 100% you have to start all over. Other than that it's fun, but until you can stop in the middle of a game I'm out of the paid version.

Reactions: RedToasty
Upvote 0
Cheers gilbequick, I'll add that to the list for 1.2. It's quite a big one to add, but should fix a lot of the negative feedback we've heard, definitely sounds like a good idea.

We're just finishing off 1.1 now, it should be out early next week, which so far has:

A new, much better, graphical tutorial!

Achievements as mentioned before, we're pondering having a scoreboard of who's got the most.

Fish based weapons
, to silence mattdaniel! ;) hehe. Good call though, they're looking a lot better! There are no more lights on the towers, they literally grow, with a special graphic for the top end one!

Survival Mode, the best way to top the scores at the moment is to try and get the bonuses, especially the last minute bonus where you pop enemies as they leave. A lot of people don't like playing like this though, survivial is purely about lasting as long as possible! There's only 1 difficulty, which increases in a similar way to easy, but without the level 50 cap! Survival has it's own scoreboard too.

Towers Reordered, odd one, lots of new players were telling us the the basic towers weren't shooting. We're guessing they were assuming the left most tower was the basic one, unfortunately it's air so they weren't hitting anything.

New Special Effects, not hundreds, one added to the shock tower (which is now a starfish!) is the most noticable. Projectiles have been changed to match the turrets.

A Few Shop Items in Free, not having the shop means you miss out on a lot of the fun of the game. Play some games, get some coins, upgrade your towers. Do better, earn more coins etc! Get higher up the tables!

More Speed Increases, another go at opimizing things for old phones. Towers were a good chunk of the slowdown at the moment so I've sped them up massively. There's still a few corners we can cut to speed things up, but it's flying along at a much better pace on old phones.

We've tried to act on EVERY bit of feedback, which has been interesting. We've also got another list, about the size of this one, of things that MAY go in, we'll see how we do for time. Otherwise it'll be 1.2.. the next week! Any little bugs anyone spots let me know, we fix those more often than once a week, we did 3 minor releases last week with bug fixes in.

One last thing, if anyone is enjoying the game please leave feedback in the market :) It'd be MASSIVELY appreciated! Bizarrely the only comments we get are from the people who think things are broken, voting 1, we're slowly selling copies but no one is voting. Sadly we're slipping down the market into Davy Jones Locker. :(

Cheers all! :)

Toasty

Upvote 0
Here is my feedback.

The game is very fun, but there are some things that could use improving.

The upgrade system seems a little clunky, its hard to tell what you have improved. I think it would be better if they transformed to a new shape or something to give a better indicator.

Secondly as a new player when you start off the different tower options are a little puzzling. I quickly figured out freeze and mortar and the rest but I think it might be a good idea to have a little item description when you select the tower.

Third, its hard to determine which towers are doing what damage and where. If there could be a way to see the damage being done by which towers that would be great. IE seeing the bullets flying etc

My last point is just a little nitpicky, but on my new phone (vibrant) I would like to see a more graphically appeasing game on my phone. I know you want to be accessible to as many devices as possible, but maybe some hi res option or something could be worked out for.

Thanks for bringing us a great TD game to android guys!

Upvote 0
Thanks Joshua! Especially for the market review :D

The upgrade system seems a little clunky, its hard to tell what you have improved. I think it would be better if they transformed to a new shape or something to give a better indicator.

Hopefully the new patch will solve some of those issues. Towers change size and graphic as they grow (and they're fishy based, rathery than boring coloured turrets). The lights have been removed as they were barely visible.

Secondly as a new player when you start off the different tower options are a little puzzling. I quickly figured out freeze and mortar and the rest but I think it might be a good idea to have a little item description when you select the tower.

Our tutorial was pretty bad, I think all new players had it rough. We've got a big graphical one in the patch, with pictures and descriptions of each turret. Hopefully that'll exaplain a few things.

Third, its hard to determine which towers are doing what damage and where. If there could be a way to see the damage being done by which towers that would be great. IE seeing the bullets flying etc

We've added an effect for the shock tower, then slowed down and scaled up some of the other gun effects. Since they're all fishy now it's all changed quite a bit.

My last point is just a little nitpicky, but on my new phone (vibrant) I would like to see a more graphically appeasing game on my phone. I know you want to be accessible to as many devices as possible, but maybe some hi res option or something could be worked out for.

This is definitely the plan, we've got a Vibrant here we test is on. Android phones are awkward, the Vibrant can run our game without breaking a sweat, leaving about 90% of it's power doing nothing. I've played with quadrupling ALL textures in game, and it still didn't touch the Vibrant. So hopefully soon we should be able to pack out the game with a lot of optional particle effects and better textures for top end phones.

Big Thanks! :D

Upvote 0
Redtoasty - sounds like loads of improvements - can't wait for the fishys :) (I enjoyed your little dig at me ;) )

Will definitely buy the game once the update comes out - just been waiting for the fish based weapons mate - and will be happy to leave you guys feedback - not many developers listen to us like you do - so that's noted!!

Any thoughts on mixing up the waves too?

I also agree with the comment above about saving your game - that will be fantastic too!

Upvote 0
Cheers for the market feedback too Matt! We've crawled back over the 4 average, bizarrely we were sat on 4.5 last week, I'm not sure what happened there. Hopefully this new patch will sort most of those issues.

Yeah, regarding mixing waves, I'd love to do that. I was tempted to do a mode, possibly tied into survival, where a lone random enemy would spawn, after a few seconds another would spawn, gradually getting faster and faster until there's an uncontrollable stream coming out. I can see this exploding old phones, but as long as there's enough content in there for everyone I think it'd be good fun.

As I mentioned before, I also like the idea of the occational wave coming out a different hue, which are immune to certain towers. Forcing you to vary your tactics a bit. I think once everyone is a bit more content we can get focused on balancing it, and adding interesting new things like these. The current main focus of this patch is trying to get rid of any negative criticism we've had.

It takes 3x five star reviews to repair the damage a solitary one star review does at the moment, and they're usually silly issues that we can sort, or didn't explain well enough.

Upvote 0
I would like to see longer games. 50 waves isn't really enough to be honest - 100 would be nice or even infinite.

Seem to lose 90% of the time on wave 48 on the hardest level. Some crabs always seem to move through freeze towers, mortars etc without taking any damage, or have a maximum of one hit left to kill them yet still survive everything.

How many times can I increase the power / tracking etc of towers? Got a few on Level 6 or 7 but it costs around 640 coins to upgrade further.

Does the shock tower do anything? Only ever seen it fire once on the lowest level and blowing on the screen was more effective at dealing any damage.

Is there a reason behind the upgrade costs?
i.e basic gun costs 9 coins to upgrade once and then 38 a second time. Why 38?

The game also needs menu improvement.
You complete a game and get a victory. Then you get the option to submit your high score. Would be nice if you could jump to the shop and / or start another game from here without having to use the back button on my Desire to go back to the relevent screens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones