• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Simple Sharing app

deathau

Lurker
May 29, 2012
I would like to see a very simple app mainly for sharing status messages to social networks like twitter, facebook and google plus. Yes I know, there are thousands of apps like that out there, but they all have limited support for a limited number of social networks.
My idea is to have a very small, simple app. You open it and it presents you with a text box to type in. You type your text and tap a "share" button. This presents you with the system's share dialog, so you can share the text using the official apps for the social networks you wish to post to.

This approach to posing on social networks has an obvious major drawback: it means you still have to open the various apps to do the posting. On the other hand, it supports any social networking app that has a sharing action, even if an API does not exist yet (like google plus). Also one could post in various apps without having to type the status again, or go to the bother of copy-pasting.
For example, I would use the app to type out a status message, perhaps attaching a link, and then share it via the TweetDeck app which can post to both my Facebook and Twitter at once, the share it again with the Google+ app, which apps like TweetDeck can't support due to the lack of an API. I could also post the status to my Evernote.
Also, via the use of an app like Andmade Share, you can post to multiple networks very quickly.

Optional extensions on the app could include automatic url shortening, attaching images (from gallery or camera) to posts via some service like yfrog, and character count for networks with limits such as twitter.

I'm amazed I haven't been able to find anything so simple yet.

That's awesome. Works exactly as expected.
The only issue I've found so far is that text doesn't get copied into the box for Facebook sharing, but that seems like it might be their issue (which is the beauty of an app like this). Besides, I use TweetDeck for Facebook sharing, anyway.
Works brilliantly with Andmade Share (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andmadesoft.share), as that will popup dialogs for multiple apps at once.

What are your plans for this app?
After using it a little, I have a minor suggestion regarding the layout of the app. I would suggest that if possible the character count and share button be moved to the header bar, similar to the share button on the Google+ app:
gshare.png

As it is now though, I will be using this app all the time. I still find it hard to believe that I have it in less than a day!

EDIT: Apparently my mother tried the app and it crashed with the message "The application Simpleshare (process vasper.social.utils.simpleshare) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again..." I believe she's running Android 2.2, but I may be mistaken.

Upvote 0
That's awesome. Works exactly as expected.
The only issue I've found so far is that text doesn't get copied into the box for Facebook sharing, but that seems like it might be their issue (which is the beauty of an app like this). Besides, I use TweetDeck for Facebook sharing, anyway.
Works brilliantly with Andmade Share (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andmadesoft.share), as that will popup dialogs for multiple apps at once.

What are your plans for this app?
After using it a little, I have a minor suggestion regarding the layout of the app. I would suggest that if possible the character count and share button be moved to the header bar, similar to the share button on the Google+ app:
gshare.png

As it is now though, I will be using this app all the time. I still find it hard to believe that I have it in less than a day!

EDIT: Apparently my mother tried the app and it crashed with the message "The application Simpleshare (process vasper.social.utils.simpleshare) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again..." I believe she's running Android 2.2, but I may be mistaken.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I will redo the header bar as you suggest.

As for the error did it happen on startup? The app cannot run at all? If this happens again, please report the error so I can see it in the developer console. My test phones have 2.2 and 2.3 on them, but the app should run on all android versions from 1.6 to 4.04.

Future plans are to extend it as you suggest in your original post. Probably will do it sometime in the next 48 hours.

Upvote 0
One small bug I've discovered:
When I tap into the text area it brings up the keyboard and shrinks the text area. Fine.
If I lock the screen while the keyboard is displayed, then unlock back into the app, the text area is still smaller despite the keyboard no longer being displayed. Not a big issue.
But this means that when I tap into the text area and the keyboard comes back, the text area shrinks even further, and that's a little annoying.
I've found I can bypass the issue by rotating my device (which resizes the text area properly), then rotating it back again to reset the text box's size.

I also asked my mother if she could report the issue she was having to you, but she didn't get the option, so I'm going to have to have a look myself, and I'm not sure when that will be. I'll keep you posted if/when I get more info.

By the way: update is awesome. Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones