• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Siyah Gingerbread kernel (v2.x)

my screen off profile:
500 max, 100 min, Priority 100, Conservative.
I disabled this, and no freeze.
I've upped it now to 800 to see if it will freeze again......

Edit2: Freeze on 800
I have now disabled all profiles altogether....

Reduce priority to 50 (or whatever is needed to give higher priority than any other profiles). If that doesn't sort it up the min to 200MHz.

Reactions: Hawker
Upvote 0
I've sorted out the phone freeze issue i've been having on the last 5000 versions of this kernel.
Seems it was down to my screen off profile:
500 max, 100 min, Priority 100, Conservative.
I disabled this, and no freeze.
I've upped it now to 800 to see if it will freeze again......

Edit2: Freeze on 800
I have now disabled all profiles altogether....

Just as an experiment hawker, try "Screen off" Profile to 100 -> 500 with a priority of less than 100.

I found that when I had a 100 priority, I too had freezing problems.

It seems that lulzactive automatically scales down to the minimum with screen off...

"2) lulzactive:
Based on interactive & smartass governors, this governor tends to be the new favorite for many of us. When workload is greater than or equal to 60%, the governor scales up cpu to next higher step. When workload is less than 60%, governor scales down cpu to next lower step. On screen off, frequency is locked to global scaling minimum frequency."

xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL] SiyahKernel v2.1 - "One kernel to rule them all" (SAMMY&AOSP ROMs)

I'm just wondering if there is some conflict occurring.

*** Slug just beat me to it!

Reactions: Hawker
Upvote 0
thanks you two :)

Apparently, the boffs on the xda siyah thread say this kernel doesnt need a screenoff profile at all when on smartass or lulzactive as they have screen off profiles built in that are much cleaner code than the ones set CPU uses. I've switched all my profiles off for now, and all seems well.

I shall however try your suggestion too fellas should i feel its burning too much battery when sleeping.

Upvote 0
consider it cursed ironass, back to beta 6 (again) for me

on rc2 got stutter ++ with smartass, + with lulzactive/ondemandx, but smooth as butta baby on beta 6:cool:

Nayh, nayh, nayh, nayh! :D

This maybe cursed for you Sydney99 but fine for me.

On the other hand, I'm no further forward with RageMod kernel. :(

The only kernel, so far, that you and I agree on is beta6.

On a serious note, if you have Voltage Control installed, as per Slug's suggestion to me, you could try a different I/O Scheduler.

I've found that the vr Scheduler works really well on Siyah 2.2rc2 for me.

Upvote 0
thanks you two :)

Apparently, the boffs on the xda siyah thread say this kernel doesnt need a screenoff profile at all when on smartass or lulzactive as they have screen off profiles built in that are much cleaner code than the ones set CPU uses. I've switched all my profiles off for now, and all seems well.

I shall however try your suggestion too fellas should i feel its burning too much battery when sleeping.

To be honest, I haven't been using Profiles at all on the last few Siyah kernels. I only tried your settings today to see what happened.

Upvote 0
Alright on 2.2RC and my CWM app came back at last! It got lost after Siyah 2.1.1 and my reinstalling debacle *hugs lost app*

First impressions are that it's not laggy. I'm on using GDE and it's working juuuust fine :DI'll report back on whether my battery issues are solved (although last night wasn't as bad).

Syd I thanked your post cause a few posts under the performance fix was a fix for external sd card mounting in CWM :D Good accidental job!

Upvote 0
SC20111124-211438.png

Not too shabby battery life now. Thats with game playing as well as Spotify at the gym. New culprits eradicated since i started this cycle (so next will be even better) include not only facebook but I had a fb widget on one of my home screens updating constantly. Also oddly juice defender caused a ton of wake locks so ironically didnt do me the favors it implied.

It may look like a lot of wake locks in that graph but Id say 60% wont exist tomorrow and to be fair 30 hours battery life with still 12% to go Is not bad for me at all. Gonna hold onto siyah beta 6 untill the Final release is out.

Upvote 0
I expect rc3 shortly. The page has changed from saying not yet released to 2 blank slots for .tar and .zip

EDIT: Rc3 Up

v2.2 rc3
Posted on November 23, 2011
Changelog:

ondemand governor up_threshold changed to 85 and ondemandx is removed. ondemand has default sleep profile now (500MHz as default)
changed some parameters in tweaks.sh
uploaded the sources to bitbucket. sorry, there is no commit log as I was using my computer@work. but for the next release there will be detailed commit logs for 3.1 branch, with the cost of slower development.
REVERTED the integrated Mali-400 drivers released on 21 Nov 2011. I had the same problem that I had in beta5. I need some more time to find out what is causing it. I’ll try to solve it in v3.0
added lagfree governor back for those who prefer snappiness to battery life. other governors are still available as modules.
known issues:

only external sd is mounted over usb in CWM recovery.
Last known good beta: (In case you have a problem, use this version before going back to previous release) v2.2rc1
tar: http://www.gokhanmoral.com/public/files/siyahkernel/test/Siyah-v2.2rc3.tar
zip: http://www.gokhanmoral.com/public/files/siyahkernel/test/Siyah-v2.2rc3-CWM.zip

Reactions: Twinn and Shotgun84
Upvote 0
Horrible.... absolutely dire! :(

Ondemand = lag city in app drawer
Lulzactive = ditto
Smartassv2 = slightly better but still lags like a three-legged dog
Lagfree = lag-full
Conservative = least lag, which simply isn't right

The support thread @ XDA is filling up with similar reports.... with Gokhanmoral ill right now I doubt there'll be a fix imminent. I'm reverting to RC2.

Upvote 0
Horrible.... absolutely dire! :(

Ondemand = lag city in app drawer
Lulzactive = ditto
Smartassv2 = slightly better but still lags like a three-legged dog
Lagfree = lag-full
Conservative = least lag, which simply isn't right

The support thread @ XDA is filling up with similar reports.... with Gokhanmoral ill right now I doubt there'll be a fix imminent. I'm reverting to RC2.

Its a good thing im one of those folk that notices zip difference between each governor. Im on ondemand and set profiles using antutu cpu not set cpu. Everything is super nippy here. Lagfree worked smooth as silk too. Never touch voltages either.

See with governors its common sense what Conservative , ondemand , performance , lag free are intended to do ,

But lulzactive and smartassv2 mean as much to me as a purple rhino.

Final thought is my phone is running sweet on RC3. :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones