• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Skip "Activate phone" on VZW

I was just given a Droid X. The person who gave it to me upgraded her phone, transferred her number and contacts, and then did a factory reset.

I do not want to activate this phone, but I can if that's the only option. Technically the phone is legally mine, since I paid for it in the first place, and it was on my account.

I ultimately hope to be able to learn how to root the phone, load apk's and install apps in USB debugging mode, and use the phone as a network terminal over my Wi-Fi network.

When I start the phone I get stuck on the "Activate" screen. Yes, I know I could transfer my number, go through the activation and then revert the number back to my primary phone, but I'd rather just get past this screen without jumping through any hoops.

I think rooting might be the solution (which is why I posted this here), but even the root methods I've seen require installing one or more apps first...

I have an SD card reader which I can and have used to place things on the SD card without turning on USB debugging on the phone, so that provides a means for getting software to the phone, but I can't do anything with it if I don't Activate first.

Anyone have a suggestion for bypassing this catch-22?

I'm here to learn, so all constructive responses are welcome. Thanks!

I was just given a Droid X. The person who gave it to me upgraded her phone, transferred her number and contacts, and then did a factory reset.

I do not want to activate this phone, but I can if that's the only option. Technically the phone is legally mine, since I paid for it in the first place, and it was on my account.

I ultimately hope to be able to learn how to root the phone, load apk's and install apps in USB debugging mode, and use the phone as a network terminal over my Wi-Fi network.

When I start the phone I get stuck on the "Activate" screen. Yes, I know I could transfer my number, go through the activation and then revert the number back to my primary phone, but I'd rather just get past this screen without jumping through any hoops.

I think rooting might be the solution (which is why I posted this here), but even the root methods I've seen require installing one or more apps first...

I have an SD card reader which I can and have used to place things on the SD card without turning on USB debugging on the phone, so that provides a means for getting software to the phone, but I can't do anything with it if I don't Activate first.

Anyone have a suggestion for bypassing this catch-22?

I'm here to learn, so all constructive responses are welcome. Thanks!

Are you talking about just past the "touch the android" screen? Don't touch poor Andy, tap the corners of the screen starting top left and go clockwise to bottom left and it will bypass that all together.

Reactions: AlleyKat
Upvote 0

I use it all the time..... well mostly because I hose my phone all the time and have to SBF. Practice makes perfect. ha ha

VS are you touching the actual bottom corner of the screen or the bottom corners of the square section that Andy is in? I couldn't get this to work right at first because I was actually touching the corners of the screen at the bottom......I'm not sure if that makes sense, it is early.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones