• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skype - mobile to mobile without using minutes.

waynoiam

Lurker
Jul 1, 2010
How can I use Skype to make a mobile to mobile call and not use my verizon minutes. I have friends that are doing this with the Samsung Omnia II on verizon and everyone I know with an IPhone on att is able to do it. When I try to make a mobile to mobile call a box pops up and says have to use verizon minutes. I also paid for the mobilie to mobile plan on Skype

And help????

Wayne

How can I use Skype to make a mobile to mobile call and not use my verizon minutes. I have friends that are doing this with the Samsung Omnia II on verizon and everyone I know with an IPhone on att is able to do it. When I try to make a mobile to mobile call a box pops up and says have to use verizon minutes. I also paid for the mobilie to mobile plan on Skype

And help????

Wayne

When I was using Skype on my Blackberry, it used both Data and Minutes
to make calls. Now that I migrated over to an Android Device, I use TiKL
from the Market.

It supports both Android and iPhone devices plus it's free and only uses
data. Just a thought for you and your friends if you need an alternative
means of contact.

Upvote 0
Verizon and Skype partnered, so it's hard to say what they did. Can you select wifi and turn off Verizon? How did you set up Skype? What phone do you have?
I've used it on both Symbian and now Android. Neither used minutes or plan.
But I'm GSM, not CDMA.
Your problem sounds like TMobile's UMA. If you have UMA, it's wifi, but uses TM services so you use minutes - even on your own router. It's built into the phone. So your wifi might just be hooked into Verizon's services by the phone mfg.

Z

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones