• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skype Mobile

its the first version of this app, give it time people, rome wasn't built in a day and apps usually aren't perfect as of day 1
No, it's not the first version of this app. There was a skype app on the market before. There has been a skype app for windows mobile for years, and it works over wifi! Same with the Nokia N900 and it's grand parent tablets. There's also a version that runs on the Sony PSP, and Mylo. Even the iPhone version allows wifi calls.

Okay... then don't use it...

Not going to.

Upvote 0
Skype mobile on Verizon is useful for 2 specific purposes: cheap international calls and free skype to skype calls.

I made a free international skype to skype call this morning and it was great. Previously the best option was skype to go which used minutes and cost the going skype rate. Now I don't need to use minutes at all for skype (see the web page) an at most I pay the skype rate.

I, too, was hoping for wifi, but it's clear that it is excluded to force you to use your minutes for domestic calls. I can understand that, although it would be extremely valuable when out of the country (an alternative to place calls with skype, at least, would be Fring).

Also, since it uses voice calling, you can use the normal calling features like bluetooth and dtmf tones which not all other clients support.

So, for what it does (international and skype to skype calling), it is great. Just understand what its designed for.

Upvote 0
So skype does not work on 3g~~!!! What the heck then!! It must use 1X data which seems stupid but many say the quality is great so I guess whatever. I say it does not work over 3G because I turned my phone to 3G only mode and when I go to call over skype I get call lost no service! So can anyone clarify how it is over data when it wont go over data lol.

Upvote 0
God I love how many complainers there are in the smartphone world, like everyone is entitled to everything and it should be free. Why do you think you have a phone/plan? To make calls and communicate via your network.

Why would they allow an application that rendered part of our contracts null and void? Now we just have the option to talk to those on skype in addition to the many other ways of contacting them.

Because its free on other networks with less capable phones you jackass.

Upvote 0
Ok so I just placed my first skype call and it was really bad. I had horrible digital distortion and dropout with full bars. This also leads to me to think they chose 1X data and not 3g which is stupid because if 1X can do it then 3g would rock. Also if you read the beginning message it says the app works in the enhanced and extended enhanced network which is 1X not broadband 3g. Why would they make such a decision that degrades quality to a point of making me never want to use since I use it on my computer a lot and have come to expect good things from skype but this is subpar for them.

Upvote 0
Download fring from the marketplace (free!). Sign up for SkypeOut on the Skype web site ($10 to get started). Configure fring to work with Skype. Now make calls to any number with wifi and no 3G (2 cents/min to Skype). This works for me from home when I put my Droid in airplane mode (no 3G) and connect to my wifi router. I have not tested it on the road.

Upvote 0
I just got skype mobile this morning, and as a person who calls a few international friends directly through skype, I find this to be a pretty useful app. This is really what I wanted, because I make a lot of long drives (sometimes several days of non-stop driving) and now I can have someone on skype in the background while I'm doing it, and not waste minutes.

I've seen a lot of people talking about how pointless this program is, or how they wish it allowed for calls over 3g or wifi. What I want to know is, would wifi really be that big of a thing? As far as these little phones go, constant data usage over wifi really seems to suck down battery, and you have to stay within the confines of your wifi. If I'm at home, I'm probably going to use my home computer to skype. The only thing I can think of, is, it saves me the money from having to buy a wifi phone, or a wireless phone that interfaces with my computer, but I would think that the battery of something like that would be much better. But I've never used one, so I don't know.

If you were able to skype call on wifi, what/when would you use it?

Upvote 0
I just got skype mobile this morning, and as a person who calls a few international friends directly through skype, I find this to be a pretty useful app. This is really what I wanted, because I make a lot of long drives (sometimes several days of non-stop driving) and now I can have someone on skype in the background while I'm doing it, and not waste minutes.

I've seen a lot of people talking about how pointless this program is, or how they wish it allowed for calls over 3g or wifi. What I want to know is, would wifi really be that big of a thing? As far as these little phones go, constant data usage over wifi really seems to suck down battery, and you have to stay within the confines of your wifi. If I'm at home, I'm probably going to use my home computer to skype. The only thing I can think of, is, it saves me the money from having to buy a wifi phone, or a wireless phone that interfaces with my computer, but I would think that the battery of something like that would be much better. But I've never used one, so I don't know.

Not everyone has very good (or any) cell signal at home/work. I just moved out of a house where I would have to go outside for anyone to be able to understand me, and even then I would break up if I stood in the wrong place. Verizon was better then ATT at this house, but it still was almost unusable.

With skype over wifi, I could at least supplement this a bit... At this point i've now moved and have full service at home so it's not a big deal, but this along with international use are the main reasons I see wanting wifi calls. (I would be okay with verizon/att/etc still using my minutes if i could just make plain calls over wifi for situations like this... we have smartphones that can do it, but only t-mobile has gone anywhere with that kind of tech).

Upvote 0
Not everyone has very good (or any) cell signal at home/work. I just moved out of a house where I would have to go outside for anyone to be able to understand me, and even then I would break up if I stood in the wrong place. Verizon was better then ATT at this house, but it still was almost unusable.

With skype over wifi, I could at least supplement this a bit... At this point i've now moved and have full service at home so it's not a big deal, but this along with international use are the main reasons I see wanting wifi calls. (I would be okay with verizon/att/etc still using my minutes if i could just make plain calls over wifi for situations like this... we have smartphones that can do it, but only t-mobile has gone anywhere with that kind of tech).

Actually, I can sympathize, I lived some place once where there was this tiny hole in Verizon's coverage, and randomly my phone would get no signal for hours at a time. When that would happen though, I could just use my desktop to make a skype out call, but I see the convenience of having it all on your phone.

Upvote 0

Some of us travel out of the country, the Droid doesn't work in Europe, yea, I know, we knew this when we got it, but that's what Skype was for! There are also a lot of places around me where I get no signal, but have access to wifi. Also, if we want someone to call our skype number, wifi must be turned off on the phone. My wifi is never turned off!

Upvote 0
To the posters that are complaining that we are whining about not having an app do something for free:

If you travel a lot it makes sense to have skype with you that works over wifi. I have to bring my iPhone on trips because it has skype/skype out where I can call my friends and family over wifi for 2 cents a minute-android does not because skype has not yet released it.

Seriously, who wants to have to buy a phone card when travelling when we have an app to do this for us. Come on Skype get your act together and release a full android version-the iphone version is spectacular and we need this on android.

Upvote 0
Verizon and Skype have a partnership so we all should have known that the customers would get screwed so that verizon could still make a buck. Between the iPhone's skype app that only allows wifi use and verizon pulling this stuff we can only hope that when gizmo5 gets re-released that google doesn't let these cell phone companies talk them out of letting it be used on 3g networks.

Upvote 0
Verizon and Skype have a partnership so we all should have known that the customers would get screwed so that verizon could still make a buck. Between the iPhone's skype app that only allows wifi use and verizon pulling this stuff we can only hope that when gizmo5 gets re-released that google doesn't let these cell phone companies talk them out of letting it be used on 3g networks.

So what's the issue with Verizon making money, they are going to lose a lot of money for long distance and lose minute overage rates for letting people make calls for free.

Upvote 0
So what's the issue with Verizon making money, they are going to lose a lot of money for long distance and lose minute overage rates for letting people make calls for free.

Verizon will probably make more money this way, only because I'd assume that the people who know how to use skype to do this sort of thing are the sort that would use alternate methods (aka skype not on the mobile) to make these calls.

I don't really see it as "greedy corporation trying to get even more money out of people." People want a lot of stuff from Verizon, want it cheap, everywhere, and expect that in a year, they'll have a big 4G network started for us to join. Money for all that has to come from somewhere. This last summer, I drove through the desert, something like 100 miles of absolutely nothing. I had great cell reception the whole way though.

And yea, like someone said earlier, Fring lets you make network calls, though I don't like how you can't use the speaker phone.

Upvote 0

Heh, Google doesn't really take shit from cell providers, from what I've seen. When Apple rejected Google Voice they were all "fine, we'll just make a web app designed for the iPhone!" I am REALLY looking forward to gizmo5's re-release.

Upvote 0
Why do people feel they need to use up forum space just to complain about an application.... It wasn't designed for YOU it was designed for those that actually use Skype all the time. Its not a desktop/laptop app replacement, its a middle man for when you're not near your computer. It doesnt have video chat either OMG!!! how dare they.... I'm recently discharged from my contract with the military and it works PERFECT for me to talk to my friends with Skype over in Iraq and Afghanistan. Its main purpose is SKype 2 Skype not long distance calling thats an added benefit. Its like complaining AIM doesnt give you calling over to Europe for free...

Upvote 0
Verizon Unveils Free, Exclusive Skype App | Wireless Week
All skype to skype calls with this app will not cost voice minutes and will go through the old circuit-switched voice network. So basically it goes through the normal voice network until it gets to the back end where it goes VoIP to skype servers. This has its pros and cons. Good thing is people in other countries can call your cell phone whenever and you can all people on their laptops and such wherever. So if you havea relative in China 12 hours away, they can call you while you're on the road and don't have to both wait until you're near a wifi spot or near your computer. Bad thing is you need 1x voice cell service. Call quality should be better since it's only VoIP on one side.

Upvote 0

Nobody has an issue with Verizon making money. But Verizon and AT&T will have an issue keeping customers if they keep doing things that rubs their customers the wrong way. Verizon already has got the FCC involved because of the $350 ETF.. I just think sometimes companies forget that if their customers aren't satisfied they will lose business. Thats why a lot of people are jumping from iPhones to Android ones because of some of the restrictions.

Why do people feel they need to use up forum space just to complain about an application.... It wasn't designed for YOU it was designed for those that actually use Skype all the time. Its not a desktop/laptop app replacement, its a middle man for when you're not near your computer. It doesnt have video chat either OMG!!! how dare they.... I'm recently discharged from my contract with the military and it works PERFECT for me to talk to my friends with Skype over in Iraq and Afghanistan. Its main purpose is SKype 2 Skype not long distance calling thats an added benefit. Its like complaining AIM doesnt give you calling over to Europe for free...

Skype to skype is cool but on my iPhone when I am at home all I use is my skype app over wi-fi. Verizon could at least give their customers that. Who cares about the video chat part until the Evo 4g comes out then I will probably eat those words :)

Upvote 0

Wow at least there are a few people who get it, everyone wants to complain about what it doesn't have instead of looking at what it does. If you are worried about using 3G and WiFi then get Fring it's that simple. It's an app for Skype users to take advantage of not an app to give unlimited calling to all Verizon users.

Upvote 0
Nobody has an issue with Verizon making money. But Verizon and AT&T will have an issue keeping customers if they keep doing things that rubs their customers the wrong way. Verizon already has got the FCC involved because of the $350 ETF.. I just think sometimes companies forget that if their customers aren't satisfied they will lose business. Thats why a lot of people are jumping from iPhones to Android ones because of some of the restrictions.

Have you noticed you haven't been hearing any news about the FCC continuing that investigation? It was a couple of congress members wanting to make a name for themselves. Think about it, nobody is forced into a $350 ETF they make the choice based on the phone they choose. There was also a perfectly valid reason for Verizon to raise the ETF, it was because Verizon was losing a lot of money by people getting BOGO deals then canceling service and selling the phone on eBay. Verizon sells the phone at a loss to start with because they are getting a 2 year contract but need to get money back when you cancel early. Keep in mind you can buy the phone on your own and start service with no contract or ETF, the choice is yours.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones