• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skype Mobile

that is nonsense its not only don't work on wifi but it required us to disable it, thats mean if we want 24 hours skype (as they promise) we should disable our wifi 24 hours

That, right there, is what actually kinda pisses me off about this app. Fine you don't want us using it over WiFi, that's between Skype and Verizon and if they both agree on it, then I don't care.

But actually disabling your WiFi so you can't use other apps over WiFi while using Skype is just ******ed.

Upvote 0
I'd like to hear more from the person who's used Google Voice over WiFi to make calls when abroad...making calls over wifi using GVoice doesn't work at all for me.

Thats because Google Voice is NOT A VOIP APP. I know someone already said that. Google recently aquired Gizmo5 and we in the Android community are eagerly awaiting VoIP w/ GV.

If you want to use VoIP, like someone already mentioned, download Fring.'

Its nifty and useful. Otherwise Skype Mobile does what it says and specifically includes the use of this app over WIFI is disabled. The idea is to be able to call freinds and family (skype to skype) for free. And that is a great service people.

Upvote 0
As a few of you have noted: If you want to use SKYPE as a VOIP application over wifi (or over the Verizon Data Plan without using your cell minutes), download the FRING application. You can configure it to work with both SKYPE and any other SIP application you want to use. I have an unlimited SKYPE account, roughly $3/month or $36 per year (or you can pay for usage at 2 cents per minute). Works fairly well over wifi and 3 or 4 bars of 3G. There is some delay. I use the FRING SIP application and configure it with either sipgate or sipagent (lite is free, full version has a fee), both available for free in the market apps. Sipgate calls are also 2 cents per minute or if you happen to have a Gizmo5 account before Google bought it, the charge is 1 cent per minute. You can also use the Evan Charlton version of GV (also available for free on the android market on your Droid) with sipagent or sipgate and use the "callback" option for totally free calls. A little research thru this forum and Google Voice will help you figure out how to set these up. None of the above use any of your cell phone minutes. They all have their drawbacks, but you can communicate for little or nothing over wifi and your 3G Data network. In all of the above I am talking about making domestic calls to landlines and other cell phones. The Verizon version of SKYPE is good for low rate international calls and free SKYPE to SKYPE, but not domestic landline or other domestic cell calls--- these cost you Verizon minutes plus whatever you pay for your SKYPE account.

Upvote 0
okay - a couple of other reasons to use skype...
1) toll free numbers can be used on skype and save minutes on your plan... i tend to make a few of these from time to time'

2) because i have a skype-out and skype-in number and have used skype for my main phone at home going on five years I have built up an incredlibly big contact list... even if i can't 'call' someone without using minutes, it has saved my butt when i need to know a phone number... - now, is there a way to port all my skype contacts into my droid contacts?

Now for a pet peeve...

anyone have this trouble? you open skype mobile... your contacts populate and then you have no way to find anyone in your list unless you scroll...

like i said, i have hundreds of contacts and can't take the time to scroll down to somone who's name starts with a 'W'... takes me a couple of minutes!

where is the 'search by voice' or the input box where i can start typing someone's name and it starts populating anything with those letter combinations (like the desktop version)? I have not figured out how to 'jump' to a contact in my list without scrolling...

so, I am hoping i am just dumb as a football bat and some wisecrack will tell me how to solve my problem... :p

anyone? thanks

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I'm new in the forum. I live in Argentina and bought un unbranded Galaxy S. Some days ago I saw in the Adnroid Market Skype, and I was very happy. I told my friends " hey we have Skype for Android". When i download it I tried to loggin and it didn't work, then I read Some Handsets e.g. Galaxy S are not currently supported. It work well on Milestone.
Does anybody knows when Skype will work on Galaxy S?
Jose

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones