• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slow 3G speeds?

JRSly

Oct 31, 2009
I apologize if this is not quite the right place for this thread, please feel free to move it wherever it might be better suited.

This is my first smartphone and my first experience with any sort of high-speed mobile internet, so talk to me like an idiot. :) But my 3g speeds seem to be incredibly slow and I'm hoping there's something I can do about it.

I might've just chalked it up to poor coverage in this area, but I get consistent 4 bars and I've ran SpeedTest.net and XtremeLabs Speedtest and, oddly, I'm getting very high numbers for upload speeds which seems to suggest the network is fine in this vicinity and something else is going on. WiFi speeds are perfect, very quick.

Here are the results of my most recent tests.

SpeedTest.net

Download: 100 kbps
Upload: 855 kbps

XtremeLabs

Max Download: 100.2 kbps
Upload: 223.6 kbps (Don't know about the large discrepancy here)

So is there any course of action I can take to improve the situation? I've not tested speeds at any other locations yet(just got the phone Wednesday) but the high upload speed seems to tell me that it's not just a matter of my house being a 3g dead zone. And of course, this is my first experience so maybe I'm completely wrong with all my assumptions.

I go from 200kb to 1.2Mb just by moving my phone 1ft on my desk. Just found some interesting results...check my thread:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/19985-homemade-antenna-breakthrough-3g-1x-switching.html
Ha, I was incredulous...again I thought the high upload speeds contradicted this idea, but like I also said I don't really have much knowledge when it comes to these things. But I just tried the tests again in the other side of the room and I got 1.5 Mbs...so yeah, it can vary wildly based on location. Wow.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones