1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Smart phone from verizon ideas please

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by fredvon4, Sep 29, 2011.

1. fredvon4

fredvon4 Lurker
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    Army civilian
    Texas
    I have today and tomorrow to take advantage of an upgrade (from dumb phone) and get $100 certificate at Verizon

I do not need a smart phone as I am mostly voice guy and no surfing on a micro screen phone

My wife has a dumb phone and a Zoom and WiFi hot spot on our family plan

We rarely travel together for business

I just got the Asus Transformer and would like to link to internet when on business as most WiFi in hotels is terrible throughput vs 3g/4g

OK I need to know what Verizon smart phone is most likely to provide infrastructure internet access (I see TF does not like ad hoc p2p access point architecture)

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I moved this thread to the Android Lounge. I know you are talking about connectivity issues relative to the Transformer, but it is a rather general question and I don't think it's unique to that particular tablet. Hoped I could get more eyes on it here.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    All Android phones wifi hotspot output is infrastructure mode.

4. fredvon4

fredvon4 Lurker
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    Army civilian
    Texas
    Not to be thick or argumentative but in the Asus forum ( I just got first android device so trying to soak up as much info as possible) there are more that a few folks who can not get the transformer to connect or tether to some android based phones because of ad hoc access method (some phones it seems were only intended to do wifi instead of bluetooth peer to peer for file share to lap top, data storage or printing and not internet access)

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Really? all the android devices I've encountered: HTC, Samsung and LG, all produce infrastrucure mode. By default Android cant even connect to Adhoc networks, how could they produce one?

6. fredvon4

fredvon4 Lurker
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    Army civilian
    Texas
    Sorry chanchan05 too new to know the answer... down in the Asus transformer forum are a lot of folks trying to use smart phone as hot spot and having trouble

I just want to buy a smart phone to act as a hot spot for this android 3.2 pad and not interested in the family having 2 of the mobile MiFi devices

Leaning toward the Samsung Droid Charge but would like to know if wifi pads can connect through it

7. fredvon4

fredvon4 Lurker
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    Army civilian
    Texas
    Close the thread as I bought the Morotola Droid Bionic on assurance from verizon it would wifi hot spot my Asus Tf101

8. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

Good choice. Better battery life than the Charge. Not called the charge for nothing.