• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smartwatches

Upvote 0
It's not fashion, it's status. You're seen wearing a gold Apple Watch on the golf course, that means you've made it.

I hate to break it to you Mike, but I doubt many AF users have an Apple Watch on their wrist. Contrary to what Apple might want you to believe, they didn't invent the smartwatch. I've two Sony watches that prove that, and neither are what could be described as "fashionable". ;)

Upvote 0
Smartwatches are as fashionable as dress pants with white socks. ;) It's actually a nerd beacon. The only people who are interested or impressed with my 360 are other technophiles, or those who have no clue as to what it is. No Rolex-wearing sycophant has ever come up to me and said "nice watch, dude." ;)

Upvote 0
I actually saw one of those things being used by a friend a while back.

We are both motorcycle touring folks who enjoy "riding to eat" :D

He had one on his wrist and I asked him "is that thing actually useful?"

He showed me that it would indeed respond to his voice and provide a Google Map and give him directions to a point.
he showed me that he can read text messages on it, and he has it or the phone it is tied to, on Bluetooth so that he can take/make phone calls.

For him, it is a good device. We won't ride anywhere without ATGATT ( All The Gear All The Time ) and when you have a helmet, jacket, gloves, ballistic pants on..... getting a cellphone out to see who is calling is impossible. For him, he just glances at his wrist and makes a decision.

But for me? it is a waste of money, and completely useless as my eyes no longer are able to read fonts less than 1/2 inch high...
that is almost as much display face as his Smart Watch has available ;)

Upvote 0
But for me? it is a waste of money, and completely useless as my eyes no longer are able to read fonts less than 1/2 inch high...
that is almost as much display face as his Smart Watch has available ;)
I don't know about completely useless. You can customize the watchface however you want for time.... mine has the time in big digits and other things much smaller. For other things, I have font set to "large" on phone settings and also "large" in watch settings. For whatever reason most (not all) watch screens (notifications, apps) tend to be fairly uncluttered and easy to read (eaiser than phone for me). If you swipe left on most notifications for actions you typically get a single button like "archive"... then swipe again for another choice like "reply" (so only one action per screen). Same things for media controls... one control per screen... very easy to read. But I agree it's worth mentioning...your ability to read the screen certainly is a consideration for both phones and watches.

The last thing on my mind when I bought my smartwatch was "fashion". It's a productivity tool that saves me time and effort, nothing more.
I generally agree. I think for most people, we decide to buy a smartwatch first for its functionality, but then we consider fashion/appearance in choosing which smartwatch to buy.

That was certainly the case for me. I wanted the functionality, but I wasn't crazy about wearing something on my wrist that would attract a lot of attention. So I liked the roundness of Moto 360 (like traditional watch) over squareness of a SW3 or Zenwatch. And I liked the smallness of Moto 360 over large bezel G watch R.

I knew perfectly well that I would be giving up some functionality (battery life, ability to have always-on screen, and cpu performance/responsiveness) in my selection of 2014 Moto 360 instead of the others.... so from that perpsepctive I did consider the appearance over function in my decision on which watch to buy. After all, there is no denying it's a highly-conspicuous every-present accessory that will be noticed by most of the people you interact with. But again the whole reason I wanted an Android Wear smartwatch to begin with was for the functionality.... the appearance considerations came into play only when deciding which a.w. watch to purchase.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones