• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS Apps?

I have Handcent on my GNex. I used it for 2 years on my D1 and loved it. My first problem was trying to figure out how to make it the default messaging app. I tried disabling the stock messaging app, and after that, the handcent icon showed up in some places (trying to share a picture for example). However, when I tried to share a panorama with someone, it kept crashing. It went through with the stock app though.

I re-enabled the stock messenger, and the handcent icon stayed as default, but no problems since then. There's no option in the settings to clear defaults of the stock messenger, nor does handcent ask if you want it to be the new default.

Upvote 0
I have Handcent on my GNex. I used it for 2 years on my D1 and loved it. My first problem was trying to figure out how to make it the default messaging app. I tried disabling the stock messaging app, and after that, the handcent icon showed up in some places (trying to share a picture for example). However, when I tried to share a panorama with someone, it kept crashing. It went through with the stock app though.

I re-enabled the stock messenger, and the handcent icon stayed as default, but no problems since then. There's no option in the settings to clear defaults of the stock messenger, nor does handcent ask if you want it to be the new default.

Handcent has a setting to make it the default for sms, mms, or both.

Upvote 0
I had handcent on my old phone and loved it, but I hear that it doesn't jive so well with ICS. For those of you that have handcent on your GNex, how has it performed so far?

It force closes when testing your notification and when downloading a mms.
I sent them an email as I'm sure others have, it probably won't take too long for them to fix it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones