• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS reception delays (queued 1 per min under load)

mtz1969

Lurker
Feb 10, 2018
Hello. I apologize if this question has too many open-ends. I've been trying to put a box around the potential root causes, but so far I can't really narrow anything down.

I have an LG V10 with Android 6.0 on AT&T. When group messaging with iPhone users (some I know are also on AT&T, including my wife) and there's a rapid series of responses, I will experience delays in receiving messages. It looks like at a certain level of message throughput, message delivery gets throttled to one per minute. This can lead to significant delays, as you can imagine (I've gotten messages 20+ minutes after they've been sent, slowly, painfully receiving one message every minute). If I look at the timestamps in Textra, I can see clear evidence of this lag between the reported sent and received times (attached)

I've gone through every system, messaging and Textra-specific setting I can think of without any luck. I'm not even sure if this is an AT&T issue, an iMessage server issue, an LG issue or an Android configuration issue. I'm also not 100% sure that it's strictly an iMessage or even a group messaging issue, but I've only noticed it when group messaging with known iPhone users (which may be a false positive, since I may not have the same long-running, high-volume messaging sessions with android-only groups or single-correspondents).

I CAN confirm that when the problem becomes noticeable, I can see it impacting other concurrent messaging sessions as well. For example...

* iMessage group member sends a message.
* Multiple other group members respond.
* I begin noticing delays, and the delays mount as the messages queue up.
* Another iPhone user sends me a message 1-on-1 in a separate thread. THIS message is also subject to the queuing/delays.

I can't imagine this is some kind of typical throttling of messages through iMessage servers out into general SMS, as I would suspect tons and tons of folks would be complaining. I see plenty of complaints about delayed messages, but not with the same characteristics (the apparently 1-message-per-minute throttling, iPhone membership, etc). Again, these could be red herrings, but it all the evidence I've been able to compile so far.

Any advice, insight or encouragement is appreciated. :) Thanks!
Mike

4fTUfEr.png

Reactions: sandraled1986

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones