• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS Tone isn't Audible - Why?

iPigz

Dec 30, 2012
new to samsung/android, jumped iShip & having issues with sms alerts.

galaxy note 2 (cdn/u.s) model
stock os - not rooted

have tried sms popup, handcent & now go sms. all to no avail. cannot hear sms alerts.

now i have my main phone settings for notifications on (also blocking feature on with allowed list)

stock sms notifications toggled off

have even gone so far as to disable stock sms via application manager & make gosms (via gosms settings) the default sms app

testing gosms via their test shows "go sms ringer on" & "go sms vibrate on"

so anyone know why the sms alert isn't audible?

tia

I think part of the hesitation to jump in with advice is you have made so many unusual changes. You may be new to Android, but you're clearly not new to tech. Did the notification sounds ever work?

thanks for the reply. & you are correct that i'm not new to tech. but why would that cause hesitation? i'm just looking for needed assistance.

as for the "unusual changes" i'd say thats me troubleshooting. good or bad. lol

i listed all that info as i read in the faq's; thats the best way to get an informed response.

& yes, from day 1 the stock sms alert was audible/vibrated.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Didn't mean it negatively. I just meant that if you know your way around enough to actually disable apps, then there's potentially a lot that you have done so it might be tougher to troubleshoot.

Simplest is to start with the sound settings (Settings/Sound)

1. (Settings/Sound/Volume) -- Make sure notification volume is turned up. When you move the slider you should hear a sound. If you don't hear a sound as you move the slider then there is a problem (see point number 2, below)

2. (Settings/Sound/Default Notifications) -- Make sure you actually have a notification sound selected (and not silent). Again, when you select one you should hear a sound.

3. (Settings/Blocking Mode) -- Either turn off blocking mode or at least make sure you have "Disable Notifications" unchecked in the blocking mode options.

4. Other complicating factors -- If you don't need Handcent, Go SMS or SMS popup (sounds like you were using those to see if they would resolve the problem?) I would suggest re-enabling your stock SMS app and uninstalling the other ones.

Reactions: tigmd99 and iPigz
Upvote 0
see. i knew this was the place. you were an excellent resource!

1. didn't work
2. was set to silent
3. notifications were disabled

made those changes & now the audible/vibrate is there.

as for 4. only installed those sms programs (1 @ a time) as i want more sms customization vs. stock.
Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones