• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So desperate they have to lie

Yeah CNN didn't do the poll, Yankee Group did it. Who knows, they could be fanboys trying to make their precious iphone regain its honor

Follow the links I pasted above about Yankee Group. The author of the survey blogged that the iPhone 4 didn't have an antennae problem and dismissed the consumer reports article just 2 days before Apple owned up to the problems.

The report the CNN article is based on is suspect at best.

Upvote 0
They were tired of Apple always being 5% vs Windows and they saw iPhone as their best chance to finally dominate the industry.

Funny thing is, one of the blogs mentiones the Apple vs. Windows thing and says something like "just because you hold a small market share, it doesn't mean that you're not by far the best platform", then goes on to say how that doesn't apply when Apple is holding the larger market share :)

Upvote 0
I really find these news articles funny...i am on my second cell carrier, and now my third android device. My best friend swithed to verizon from att to get a droid

Maybe we should start maing up numbers too, after all didnt google say some 160,000 android powered devices we being activated per day as of 2 months ago (please correct me if im wrong)?

Upvote 0
It's one thing to have an opinion on a matter, it's another to twist the numbers and bend the truth to make your opinion appear as fact. Then, the author follows it up by arguing and attacking those who comment (before locking them completely)? This publication will be dead within 2 years, at most. That isn't journalism, that's crap.
Two years? I give him/her twelve to eighteen months.

I commented - TWICE! - to the 'Earning increased, so the antenna problem is faked' (Not real title, but an accurate synopsis,) and the 'editor' not only didn't post, but locked the comments!

This POC isn't long for this world...

Upvote 0
Two years? I give him/her twelve to eighteen months.

I commented - TWICE! - to the 'Earning increased, so the antenna problem is faked' (Not real title, but an accurate synopsis,) and the 'editor' not only didn't post, but locked the comments!

This POC isn't long for this world...

Problem is, rabid apple fanbois will slurp up anything that this guys writes, and that's enough to keep him in business. You don't have to be good, or even right, you just have to bring in the eyeballs to view your ads.

Upvote 0
LOL... after mynamewastaken posted his/her findings, I went and looked up some more data on Yankee Group.

• They were the folks that got into hot water with the whole Linux vs Windows fiasco. I couldn't remember the firm, but it was Yankee.
  • Good luck finding who sponsors the surveys. Make no mistake: their surveys are sponsored by major entities. I was not able to find out who sponsored this iPhone survey, and they guard that info very seriously.
  • They don't release all the data from their surveys. The entire survey is only provided to the client/sponsor. They release targeted information.
  • They have had to retract at least one major past survey when challenged on the unscientific nature.
Best I can tell, it is a frilled PR firm. Microsoft hired them way back when (through a shielding branch)to the survey mentioned in the first bullet.

And now, I hear they are retracting some of this current survey? Okay.

Upvote 0
Seriously? 2010? Lol, pass whatever you're smoking...

When we review the numbers in early 2011 and I'm hysterically wrong, then you can point at me and laugh all you like. Just remember what I predicted. I didn't say more people in the US would be walking around with an EVO than an iPhone, I said android v apple smartphone marketshare. You know, the one where Blackberry still destroys Apple, etc?

It will also become clear that it's not even really a fair fight, because of the array of devices android will be on. A large percentage of owners won't even know what they have, as opposed to iPhone where often the brand is what they bought in the first place.

Upvote 0
It will also become clear that it's not even really a fair fight, because of the array of devices android will be on. A large percentage of owners won't even know what they have, as opposed to iPhone where often the brand is what they bought in the first place.
I've actually had the phanbouys tell me, "frankly, I hate the phone... but it's an Apple!" like that fixes all the massive glaring faults.
"I got hit with the 'Rickroll' thing ... but it's an Apple!"
"I have to jailbreak to fix the so-and-so ... but it's an Apple!"
and the new favorite - actually heard just outside the physical San Francisco Apple store.
"My phone can't make calls without a bumper on it ..." followed by the zombie chant of... well, you know what it is...

I know all phones have followers, but geeze, this is cult-level, 'drink-the-poisoned-kool-aid' zaniness...

Upvote 0
I've been around pda's/smartphones since the Treo 650 and I have no reason to believe Android will do anything but thrive.Sure with the new Windows os ph's coming out some will fall for the hype and switch but there will always be next great next step in evolution.To prove my point look how long Palm os,Windows os ph's have been around and so will Android.It most likely will evolve to closer resemble it's original origins.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones