• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So How Many Of You Are Currently Using Your Note 7

Still using mine with no issues. According to Samsung, you can exchange your phone for a "J series or equivalent" until the new Note 7's are available. I have not reached out to VZW yet to see what my options are. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they sent an OTA deactivation at some point, but I would imagine we'll get plenty of advance notice before that happens.

Upvote 0
I am debating whether to just put it back in the box and go back to my Nokia 1020 in the interim. I have turned off fast charging and only use wireless charging but wonder if I should sleep with one eye open, thoughts?

I have continued to use mine .... it doesn't get hot and I have charged it no less than 27 times since I received it on August 14th. There is too much drama over 35 phones burning... if it were going to burn it would have already..... I suspect there was something in the electrolyte... perhaps .... just guessing..... Anyway I have had a few rounds with Verizon Wireless since they told me that I should turn it in and they would give me an Edge... I wrote Samsung... called them back and told them what was written....

Upvote 0
I'm using mine still, with no issues. I'm planning on getting it swapped when the new ones for that are available.

The description of the problem from Samsung that I read said the issue is that the batteries that have failed have done so because the cathode made contact with the anode. Which of course is an obfuscatory way of saying the defective batteries have failed because they directly shorted out internally (for a reason not divulged). That says to me that shutting the device off and leaving it be probably reduces the chance of that occurring, but doesn't eliminate it. Charging and discharging make heat, and heating/cooling makes things expand and contract.

I do think it's playing a bit of Russian roulette to keep using my device, but like the previous person said, it seems like if your battery was going to short, the chances of it doing so have been greater while it was still new. I think the more charge/discharge cycles it survives, the less likely it is that it's one of the ones that will fail, or fail soon. If I end up with a big leg burn, I'm sure I will regret it no matter what :p

When I leave my phone charging at night, I leave it placed in a Pyrex baking dish. Unless it 'explodes' so violently that it goes airborne, I think that will keep things safe, even if it sets off the smoke detectors?

Upvote 0
Samsung UK now advising all devices powered down and go back to old ones. Well I sold my old note, I need a phone for work and they can't fit me in for a note 7 exchange until 3rd October. So unless they're going to speed up the exchange programme I can't see this advice going down well.

Attachments

• 1473693613217.jpg
    1473693613217.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones