• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root So, I get a new phone, and leave my Desire on...

Tommex

Jul 31, 2010
Colchester - Essex
I thought I'd turned it off, but I'd just put it in aeroplane mode... look at what I found the other day, when I thought I was turning it on:

h9XLf.jpg

Pretty awesome. :)

Not so sure - running with GSM on but no data mine will use about 2% overnight (so no real point me using airplane mode). If we scale that up to about 6%/day that would suggest it could do > 2 weeks with GSM on, provided you don't actually do anything (including data connection).

In poor coverage it's a different story: the other week I left it on but outside coverage for about 9 hours and it ate almost half of the battery...

Upvote 0
Any smartphone in flight mode will sit forever as long as it's not being used, my LG is still at 70% after a week sitting in my drawer in flight mode.

My Blackberry drains battery while it's TURNED off, now I keep the battery out of the phone when I store it since Li-ion batteries don't handle being drained well.

Upvote 0
Any smartphone in flight mode will sit forever as long as it's not being used, my LG is still at 70% after a week sitting in my drawer in flight mode.

My Blackberry drains battery while it's TURNED off, now I keep the battery out of the phone when I store it since Li-ion batteries don't handle being drained well.

That's because blackberries don't turn off :)

Upvote 0
How do you mean they don't turn off? The reason I ask is that someone once said to me they couldn't turn off their Blackberry and that they'd have to pull the battery out to stop it from receiving texts or calls. Surely, it will only remain accessible if it's on standby (much like us putting our Desires on standby by pressing the power button once and turning off the screen). Or was this a joke completely lost on me..? In which case, I'll just get me coat and move along.

That's because blackberries don't turn off :)

Upvote 0
Its no joke. The "off" button just puts it in standby.

You can put it in standby by pressing the off button. It shouldnt receive texts or calls, but you can almost just blow on the button and the phone turns "on" again.

It also goes into sleep mode if you put it in the pouch and this will still receive calls and texts. This is the equivelant to our "power button". There is also another button that will put it into sleep without the puch. On the bold this was on the top.

You'll notice when the blackberry is "off" if you press power, its "on" again in a few seconds. If you pull the battery out, it auto turns on and boot can take upto 5 minutes.

The problem is when you put the battery in, it turns on itself, so unless the battery is out, the phone is never truly off.

[quote="JeDesir

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones