• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help So much data usage!

(Slowly opens can of worms. . . . .)

Just looked at mine. I played a Youtube video today at work to show some colleagues the Nick Clegg I'm Sorry video. I used the official YouTube app. I'm on SGS2, T-Mobile Android 4.0.4, NOT rooted. I have just looked at my data usage for the month and Youtube shows a total of 510KB for the month so far (from 12th) There is NO WAY that a 2 minute 25sec video would be only 510KB, so I guess the data is being attributed to somewhere else.

It goes into android os

Upvote 0
Just a reminder.... Although don't know why the error is there, it should be noted that some sees correct reporting for that particular apps. Maybe a simple reboot of the phone will solve it. But either way, hope you guys don't start another argument about who is right and wrong, when you both could be right? Even 3G watchdog and the stock data counter don't seem to report the same usage for the same apps. Although the total seems fairly close together. Stock actually shows less usage for me.

Cheers

Upvote 0
I woke this morning and noticed the data usage alert I had set and thought it strange as I don't usually get full use of my plan data allowance, and I'm only half way though the billing period.

It turns out that the Youtube (current market version 4.2.16) used 418MB of background data and 28KB of foreground data, all while I was asleep. Luckily whatever happened stopped 5MB before reaching my monthly limit. Now I just have to keep my network data off (or upgrade my plan) for 2 weeks.

In my 3+ years of android devices, this is the first I've seen of this kind of unexpected app behavior, it would be more expected from a wallpaper or ringtone app. I have no idea what the youtube app could have been doing, youtube video pre-loading is only done via WIFI AFAIK.

I'd hate to see this happen every night.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Update:
I have turned off background data on the YouTube app, and since doing so, had another night of heavy 3G use while asleep, this time 1.2GB, and facing a $500 payment to the carrier if I don't work something out with them.

The strange thing is that the ICS data counter doesn't show this usage at all (this is where I turned off BG data for YouTube). However, a separate app, Data Counter widget, does show the usage.

My theory is there is some bug that let's 3G take over from WiFi once the phone is asleep and continue pre loading, and the ICS data usage clearly doesn't woel as intended. Perhaps all disabling the BG data did was stop monitoring the usage, but still allow the data. I now have pre-loading turned off and will see how it goes.

Upvote 0
Well i have similar problems where here around 11pm i get a notification that i have used my data bundle and cost are now being deducted from airtime.

not unusual just that i loaded 500mb 5 hours earlier and my phone just sat on the dresser since.

this is reaccuring often close to 3 or 4 times a month always at night i have swithed off all back ground data restricted all apps to wifi only even removed almost every other app on the phone that wasnt nescersary.

i dont use youtube and onavo says my usage is from android os. i use a sg note gt-n7000. i never hadf this problem in the year and a half before during usage but last month i did the software update via wifi and noticewd it turned every littl 3g function on i swithced them off but still i loose large chuncks of data. lately i have been loosing about 300 to 500mb
a day we are exsperiencing this problem on 2 phones same model and were software updated at the same time. now either there is a problem with the new os version a bug that is trying to connect all the time or the servers where the phones download the software must be infected with soime sort of virus. i have even switched off the back up in hope that this could be the problem although i dont see why a back up would use that much data to back up once when there is nothing but a phonebook numbers on the phone.

would love it if i could get some clarity on anything i might have missed.

Upvote 0
Well i have similar problems where here around 11pm i get a notification that i have used my data bundle and cost are now being deducted from airtime.

not unusual just that i loaded 500mb 5 hours earlier and my phone just sat on the dresser since.

this is reaccuring often close to 3 or 4 times a month always at night i have swithed off all back ground data restricted all apps to wifi only even removed almost every other app on the phone that wasnt nescersary.

i dont use youtube and onavo says my usage is from android os. i use a sg note gt-n7000. i never hadf this problem in the year and a half before during usage but last month i did the software update via wifi and noticewd it turned every littl 3g function on i swithced them off but still i loose large chuncks of data. lately i have been loosing about 300 to 500mb
a day we are exsperiencing this problem on 2 phones same model and were software updated at the same time. now either there is a problem with the new os version a bug that is trying to connect all the time or the servers where the phones download the software must be infected with soime sort of virus. i have even switched off the back up in hope that this could be the problem although i dont see why a back up would use that much data to back up once when there is nothing but a phonebook numbers on the phone.

would love it if i could get some clarity on anything i might have missed.

Hello

Your first option is to turn off mobile data until you actually want to use it, you should be able to use wifi in most scenarios. Also check your accounts to see when they are syncing and how often. Have you checked your back up size, if you are backing up apps etc this can be quite large but again perform that over wifi.

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones