• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help so the Samsung Moment is chopped liver?

AndroidSPCS

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
USA
iPhone, BlackBerry Storm offer contrast in browsers | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

This guy writes: "The key reason why the Motorola Droid has been a hit is because it couples a big screen with a high-quality, fast browser--making it the only premium smartphone to date in the U.S. to approach the status of the iPhone. "

Hmmm, so all other Android phones does not couple a big screen with a high quality, fast browser? The Samsung Moment, HTC Hero, HTC Eris, etc etc don't have big screens or high quality, fast browser? Whoops should have bought a Droid... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This guy is just pissed because he owns an iphone and realizes how big a POS it is now... the icant... I make fun of my buddy who just got the 3GS and he gets mad... Its gonna be grate when we get flash... Google has killed the iphone.

iPhone, BlackBerry Storm offer contrast in browsers | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

This guy writes: "The key reason why the Motorola Droid has been a hit is because it couples a big screen with a high-quality, fast browser--making it the only premium smartphone to date in the U.S. to approach the status of the iPhone. "

Hmmm, so all other Android phones does not couple a big screen with a high quality, fast browser? The Samsung Moment, HTC Hero, HTC Eris, etc etc don't have big screens or high quality, fast browser? Whoops should have bought a Droid... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You're all taking this WAY too personally. Right now the Droid is the gold standard for Android phones, due to some design aspects of the phone, the fact that it's the first (and currently only) phone with Android 2.0 which provides some pretty major improvements in performance and functionality, and the overall rave reviews from both biased and fair sources. Point is, the Droid is the phone to beat right now.

If I was with Verizon and/or had the luxury of being able to switch (and didn't mind their issues) I'd have gotten the Droid in a heartbeat. But instead I got the best Android phone Sprint has to offer, which will be updated to 2.1 next year. It's a fantastic phone and I love it. And I don't need to inflate my ego by pretending the Droid doesn't have advantages to do so. It's no knock on me personally, nor does it diminish my phone's greatness to know that out there exists a phone with higher critical acclaim. Oh well. I have what I could get and I'm damn happy I got it. That's it, and that's all that needs to be. CNET did not pee in my cornflakes or tell me my kids are ugly, they merely said another phone comes closer to the mythical bar set by the iPhone, and I still plan to get a full night's sleep without telling them they're wrong.

Upvote 0
I pretty don't have anything against the droid at all. But when you really think about it, the only reason that it became as great as everyone makes it out to be is simply because the amazing job on the marketing attack that verizon did against at&t and the iPhone. No one bothered to bring up the fact that the droid has a 700mhz processer, but yet the samsung instinct is actually 800 mhz! If the instinct came out with android 2.0 or 2.1 (and it will soon anyway!) that would have been the flagship. (marketing would have also helped if not for sprint putting their marketing efforts behind the exclusive palm pre and pixi) and also the Nexus One has a 1 gig snapdragon processor! All androids are special in their own way. Just use them as you see fit... the way you want to. because these phones rock, end of story!

Upvote 0
you obviously don't know the differences in chip architecture.
No one bothered to bring up the fact that the droid has a 700mhz processer, but yet the samsung instinct is actually 800 mhz!

I don't understand why people get so defensive about phones. They're just phones. If a particular one makes your life easier compared to another, great. I read quotes like people are clueless if they choose one over the other or this one sucks and this one rules. Quite amusing.

Upvote 0
I pretty don't have anything against the droid at all. But when you really think about it, the only reason that it became as great as everyone makes it out to be is simply because the amazing job on the marketing attack that verizon did against at&t and the iPhone. No one bothered to bring up the fact that the droid has a 700mhz processer, but yet the samsung instinct is actually 800 mhz! If the instinct came out with android 2.0 or 2.1 (and it will soon anyway!) that would have been the flagship. (marketing would have also helped if not for sprint putting their marketing efforts behind the exclusive palm pre and pixi) and also the Nexus One has a 1 gig snapdragon processor! All androids are special in their own way. Just use them as you see fit... the way you want to. because these phones rock, end of story!

JUST MY OPINION - The marketing definitely made the phone, but keep in mind that the processor (arm8) is a different architecture and runs more efficiently than the Moment's processor (arm11) which puts them at approx the same effective speed (the arm8 may actually run faster). Add that and the fact that the Droid has a 3D chip, it has potential to run games and apps faster than the Moment. BenchmarchPi for example benchmarks your phone. Look at all the phones that are the top...they are Droids. I would not put the Moment up to the Droid in an Arm (pun intended) wrestling match, the Moment may come up behind.

But, the processor does not make the phone. I personally do not like the looks or the layout of the Droid. I like the Moment much better. I also like Sprint better. It is all in personal preference. I just can't believe that Sprint/Samsung stood back and watched the Droid dominate in Marketing. The Moment would be number 1 if they had only marketed it correctly.

Upvote 0
JUST MY OPINION - The marketing definitely made the phone, but keep in mind that the processor (arm8) is a different architecture and runs more efficiently than the Moment's processor (arm11) which puts them at approx the same effective speed (the arm8 may actually run faster). Add that and the fact that the Droid has a 3D chip, it has potential to run games and apps faster than the Moment. BenchmarchPi for example benchmarks your phone. Look at all the phones that are the top...they are Droids. I would not put the Moment up to the Droid in an Arm (pun intended) wrestling match, the Moment may come up behind.

But, the processor does not make the phone. I personally do not like the looks or the layout of the Droid. I like the Moment much better. I also like Sprint better. It is all in personal preference. I just can't believe that Sprint/Samsung stood back and watched the Droid dominate in Marketing. The Moment would be number 1 if they had only marketed it correctly.
The cortex a8 isnt faster then the s3c6410, it just runs more efficent with power consumption at lower clock speeds. As for the droid having a 3d chip, the s3c6410 has an onboard 3d/2d accelerator chip.. so yes the moment has 3d capabilities that are on par or better then the droid..
that lack of physical buttons (and the horrible implementation of haptic feedback) in the droid is a giant shortfall.. Also the hardware keyboard is incredibly horrible (feel and use) on the droid compared to the moment..
As for it is the gold standard because it is running android 2.0.. that is a little unfair since google hand coded 2.0 for teh droid way before it even released the sdk to the rest of the manufacturers giving motorola a horribly unfair advantage..

Plus teh droid DOES have a higher res screen (this is hardware, not firm/soft ware) but it is a tftLCD not a AMOLED so it doesn't show as many colors and is a little more washed out when compared to the moment

Upvote 0
Chopped liver? I like chopped liver. I also like my Moment. I've had it only a week and noticed the battery drain, well, the APPARENT battery drain, and have read all the forums. After reading all the comments and suggestions made by those much smarter than myself I feel very solid about the Moment as my choice of phones.

I'm not spooging over my phones like I did when I was younger, but I'm very satisfied with this hand held computer.

Besides, let AT&T and Verizon fight amongst themselves; I like my phone company being out of the spotlight so they can focus on working new hardware and software into our plans. Less money spent on advertising means more money for R&D.

Upvote 0
"The cortex a8 isnt faster then the s3c6410, it just runs more efficent with power consumption at lower clock speeds. As for the droid having a 3d chip, the s3c6410 has an onboard 3d/2d accelerator chip.. so yes the moment has 3d capabilities that are on par or better then the droid.."

basically....

And I also stated that if sprint did any type of job marketing their android phones...they would have come out on top! One of my coworkers has the droid, and she's always making comparisons to my S.Moment.: better keyboard layout on moment, richer brighter screen on moment, No real ohmygosh difference in the 2.0 vs 1.5. (and again, sprints moment and hero are getting 2.1 eventually anyway).

I'm perfectly happy with my moment, and I've had the G1, and the mytouch.

regardless if you have the first android, or even the lastest, they are still awesome phones in their own individual right!

Upvote 0
"The cortex a8 isnt faster then the s3c6410, it just runs more efficent with power consumption at lower clock speeds. As for the droid having a 3d chip, the s3c6410 has an onboard 3d/2d accelerator chip.. so yes the moment has 3d capabilities that are on par or better then the droid.."

basically....

And I also stated that if sprint did any type of job marketing their android phones...they would have come out on top! One of my coworkers has the droid, and she's always making comparisons to my S.Moment.: better keyboard layout on moment, richer brighter screen on moment, No real ohmygosh difference in the 2.0 vs 1.5. (and again, sprints moment and hero are getting 2.1 eventually anyway).

regardless if you have the first android, or even the lastest, they are still awesome phones in their own individual right!
It isn't sprints call on the ads.. it is samsung's and samsung isn't putting any money into ads for the moment right now.. with bada and winmo, samsung isnt sold on the whole android platform and is in a wait-and-see phase to see how well it does (if the moment performance superior with the upgrade i have a feeling they will start pumping money into an ad campaign).. right now there is nothing for them to advertise that they see worth the money... Behold II has been getting almost the same treatment

Upvote 0

basically....

I smiled when I read this. Plus 1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones