• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So what exactly do the launchers do differently?

Savatage79

Nov 17, 2012
Sorry for such a noob question, i love these phones but i mainly got them for the net and all other basic functions.

But with my s3, im really wanting to get into some of the cool things you can do.

So touchwiz is the current stock launcher? I am reading about Apex, Nova and GO i think? Are these the best launchers and what exactly can i expect to be different if i tried a new one?

Also a side question, when it comes to icon apps such as "chrome rings"....will that app not work with the current launcher?

Nova and Apex are very close. I'm currently using Nova. The other thing nice about third party launchers is you can find themes to download to further customize your phone. My recommendation is to download both and give each a try. What launcher each person uses is all personal preference. One isn't better than the other just slightly different. You'll need to find the one that best suits you.

Upvote 0
Nova and Apex are very close. I'm currently using Nova. The other thing nice about third party launchers is you can find themes to download to further customize your phone. My recommendation is to download both and give each a try. What launcher each person uses is all personal preference. One isn't better than the other just slightly different. You'll need to find the one that best suits you.

Awesome to hear, ill definitely do that. My last question with it is this, how do i flip between launchers?

And yea i noticed the customizing aspect seems to be greater for those other launchers.

Upvote 0
After you install the launcher, each time you press the home button a windows will pop up asking you which launch you want to use. It will do this until you check the box saying to use this from now on. After you check the box you will always use the launcher selected. Later if you want to stop using that launcher, go into application manager and select the launcher you are using. Scroll down and select clear data and the dialog box will once again pop up when you press the home button so you can select a different launcher.

Upvote 0
Messing with Nova now, gonna try Apex later...definitly liking the differences im feeling and noticing!

Hah one last question though, i know my last was the last supposedly :p but ok I downloaded "chrome rings" for my icons.

I cant get them to show up with Nova. I am bringing up the nova settings screen, not finding or seeing anything.

Do i need to have the purchased version to utilize those type of apps?

Upvote 0
No, there is nothing you can do about that. Each icon has to be themed by the person who created the theme. If the developers did not theme the Pandora Icon it will stay stock.

Yea i figured out how to do some of that stuff now, there were a few icons that came with the theme such as a Pandora icon that was in chrome, so i was able to just edit out the square pandora icon and pop that in its place.

Loving the variety here, gonna really dive in and learn some new things. Thanks for any and all help here guys, much appreciated.

Upvote 0
hi,
yeah, bin the stock launcher asap! :D
im currently using Apex pro and find it good - lots of peeps like Nova, but i found it slow to
respond
cheers

I'm using Nova and have noticed a few hiccups when going between my screens, now that I'm on 4.1.1. It's not continual, but if my phones has been sitting for a while and I cycle screens, it'll do that. I'm hoping an update will fix this.

I was thinking about using a different launcher, but after paying for this one, I don't know if I really want to go for something different.

Upvote 0
Do they run a bit slower though than stock launchers? Im assuming a 3rd party launcher might not be as quick, or are they just as smooth?

I find that Nova Prime feels a bit faster. I like it. It did have some minor issues and reverted back to TW a few times in the first week. Since then, I have had no issues.

I like the fact that with Nova Prime, I can get rid of that app dock that is always on the bottom of the TW launcher. Without the dock and with the large screen, I set it up to have 6 rows of icons (still with 4 columns).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones