• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Software development guidance

TheZen

Lurker
Jul 14, 2015
Hello guys,

Firstly, I hope I am not posting in a wrong place. Feel free to move my thread somewhere else if you consider doing so
smile.png

I am a 23 year old guy, just graduated Computer Science, avid to expand my knowledge base in this field. I am very interested in mobile development, Android development to be more precise. Besides being passionate about this field and having a strong belief that this is the future of software development, I also have some ideas of apps which I think they could become successful.

Even though I have a diploma in software development, unfortunately the educational system in my country is really really poor. So what we learnt during university is either old, or unnecessary or both (of course I am a bit exaggerating, there were also interesting and useful courses, but very few, and none about mobile development).

So why I am writing this to you ? Well, I am looking for some guidance, specific guidance, in this journey I want to start. I need to learn a lot of things, things which you would probably see as basic knowledge which I should have known after 4 years of university. Unfortunately, some websites or advice like “read about that” won’t help very much. I am seeking for specific guidance, if someone is keen to offer it to me.

I need to review my knowledge about OOP (we’ve only studied OOP in C++, which isn’t very cool, and a very short course of Java). I want to learn about design patterns and modern database programming. Or other basic but important topics that you could recommend to me. After I accumulate some solid knowledge about these things, and other things that you consider important for any good programmer to know, I need to start learning Android development and any other things which would be very important and go hand in hand with Android development.

To give some extra information, I have access to a standard Pluralsight subscription, I have the C# 4.0 Complete Reference and Java Complete Reference from Herbert Schild. I also have some little experience with developing Windows Forms apps in C#.

With the risk of repeating myself, I seek for some specific advice, like “read this book about this subject”, “watch this tutorial about this subject” etc.

I thank you all in advance !

Have a nice day !

Reactions: ankitjainin
Omg dont read a book. First of all my background I am a successful self-taught developer with no college background. I designed a database program for my work, an app to be used as proof of concept for a patent, and am currently working on a multiplayer game. My advice, find an idea (on here??) and start working with it, google when you get stuck, then consult a book. email me at ihavenoidea007@gmail.com if you have any questions.

Upvote 0
Omg yes for the love of all that's holy, read a book - read several so you can not be proud of reinventing wheels years after the fact.

http://ifs.host.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Books/SE9/Web/OORA/

http://www.amazon.com/Object-Oriented-Requirements-Analysis-Logical-Design/dp/0471578061

http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Object-Oriented-Software-Ibm-Technology/dp/0137372485

The Mythical Man Month

In The Beginning Was The Command Line

The Tao of Programming

The Zen of Programming

O'Reilly press reference books

Start your reference library today, it's never too soon and you're never going to finish.

I've been a professional developer for a number of decades - I have bookshelves full from over the years.

I have multiple US and international software patents, have software flying unmanned deep space assets, and have written the semiconductor industry standard QA code that made possible whatever you're reading this on.

Whether you're fresh out of school or have never been doesn't matter - furthering your own personal growth and development through study has no substitute.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong books are very useful, But since you've had lots of traditional experience through school, most likely reading books as you go, I don't think that's going to help you at this point. Find an idea first, then find books that will help you create that idea. I say read code if you really want to read something, a whole project start to finish.

Reactions: ankitjainin
Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the replies.

As I've said, I have some app ideas for the Android platform.
Would you suggest that I start studying Android development and try to implement my ideas ? I think that the lack of experience AND basic knowledge gaps that I have will result in apps with faults (by faults I mean not designed as they should be, security issues etc.).

I know it sounds very optimistic, but my app ideas have some perspective to be used by quite a lot of people, apps that can bring me income (I hope so). That's why I'm so obsessed with learning basic concepts, because I want, after some heavy studying, to be able to design and implement some proper made apps.

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones