• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SOLD - LG Esteem $250

ChazzMatt

Android Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2010
metro Atlanta area
MetroPCS is getting a bunch of new LTE phones soon, so what are you going to do with your LG Esteem? :thinking: Wanna sell it? Here's what I did, might help you.

Go to Craigslist and see how much LG Esteems are going for in your area. Don't have unrealistic expectations, but also don't be lowballed. Brand new Esteem from Metro is $379 (as I type this), but you are not going to get $350 or even $300 for a used LG Esteem, no matter how good the condition. If the buyer had $300 or $350 to spend they would go get a new LTE phone with warranty like the 4" screen, dual CPU LG Connect ($250, at MetroPCS).

Here in the Atlanta area on Craigslist $200 seems to be the medium price for an Esteem in good condition.

I just sold mine for $250, but I threw in all my accessories for a bundle deal:
phone,
  • extended battery with cover,
  • chargers,
  • 16GB external SD card (my Galaxy Nexus doesn't need it)
  • HDMI cable for 720p video out to HDTV,
  • Motorola H17 Bluetooth (works with the Esteem, can't get it to work with my 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus),
  • an unused clear silcon case,
  • dashboard vent holder/mount.

IMG_20120723_185735.jpg

(dashboard mount is not in picture. Almost forgot about it. So, later I said, "Hey, I'll even throw in the dashboard mount.")

I stated "$270" in the Craigslist ad, but my "real" price was $250. ;) However, I was probably pushing it to ask $270 since the LG Connect is going for $250 new...

I listed specs (CPU, RAM, memory, 4.3" gorilla glass screen, LTE 4G, dual cameras, etc). We KNOW what the Esteem has, but many other people have no clue. Educate them!

I pulled off the scratched up screensaver to thankfully find a FLAWLESS screen. Screensaver had done its job! :D (So many people are trying to sell phones with cracked, severely scratched screens.)

I took a picture of everything I was selling, wrote out the ad, created a FREE Craigslist account, and posted the ad plus picture.

Then, sat back and waited for the offers to roll in...

• Some people called, wanting to know if I would take $200 "right now". Uh, no. Not for all that.
  • One guy told me he had $180 cash plus an iPod nano he would trade me. Uh, no.
  • One lady told me she would meet me the next afternoon to buy the phone and never called back.

I told everyone I was "negotiating" with others and would take $250, that I had come down on my price, but $250 was THE price.

Took two days to sell. If it hadn't sold by this weekend, I was going to repost the ad and change the wording a little -- and drop the price by $20. :)

However, iPod nano guy came up with the money. He called back, said he wanted to give his wife the phone as a gift. Actually a nice guy. Met me at the MetroPCS corporate store. I showed him the goods, he gave me the money. And for $250, he got a lot of value.

Before I sold it I upgraded from "ZVB" to "ZVD", then loaded on idrifta's Rom #2 but used Fuzzy13's ICS theme. So, it was an LG Esteem that could run the best it could run -- plus a bundle of useful extras he could have RIGHT NOW without wasting time shopping other places.

Point is, you need to do research to see the going price in your area. Don't ask too much, but also don't "give it away". Then, make the phone look and perform as good as it can.

If you have some accessories/goodies, it can help sweeten the deal. You won't be using them again anyway.

Good info especially for someone that isn't seasoned with selling phones on craigslist.

I bought mine for 190 on the bay back in January and it was a month old when i got it. I lucked up cause it was literally brand new.

Stay away from selling on Ebay. Their fees are so high now it's gotten ridiculous. Even Paypal and their fees on top of that. I can't imagine what Ebay makes quarterly or annually. Greedy bastards

Upvote 0
Good info especially for someone that isn't seasoned with selling phones on craigslist.

I bought mine for 190 on the bay back in January and it was a month old when i got it. I lucked up cause it was literally brand new.

Stay away from selling on Ebay. Their fees are so high now it's gotten ridiculous. Even Paypal and their fees on top of that. I can't imagine what Ebay makes quarterly or annually. Greedy bastards

Yeah, Craigslist is free for stuff like this, and if you live in a MetroPCS market, you should be able to find willing buyers.

Next up I need to sell two used LG Optimus Ms! ;)

Upvote 0
So what phone do you currently have right now? Just the galaxy nexus?

We have two Galaxy Nexus. We also have two LG Optimus Ms. I still have my old LG Optimus M in a drawer, from before I got my LTE LG Esteem last October. My wife still has her Optimus M, and her Metro account is still active for a few more days. We both got our LG Optimus Ms back end of 2010 when MetroPCS started selling Androids.

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to re-set the LG Optimus Ms, erase all data, etc and try to sell them together with whatever chargers, cases, screen protectors and stuff I have left over.

My wife has been begging for a better phone, but I kept waiting for an LTE phone with something newer than 2.3 Gingerbread...

Last week I ported my number to Google Voice and got a GSM Galaxy Nexus to put on Straight Talk (uses both the AT&T and T-Mobile HSPA+ networks for $45/month + couple dollars in taxes).

My wife's Galaxy Nexus arrived after she had left the country on a trip. I wanted her to still have a working phone when she landed at the airport. So, technically she's still a MetroPCS customer AND a Straight Talk customer.

I already created a Google Voice number for her to use with the GNex. We are not going to publicize our Straight Talk phone numbers at all. Our Google Voice numbers will be our phone numbers, pointing to our cell phones.

Hope u stick around Matt..always enjoyed reading your posts!

Thanks! And I do know a lot about MetroPCS. :) Been a MetroPCS customer for a dozen years, and I was one of the earliest posters in both the Optimus M and Esteem sub-forums. I'm the one who posted the leaked YouTube video of the "Bryce" before it became the Esteem. :)

I may drop in at least until Metro EOLs the LG Esteem and stops selling it. I need to also go back to the Optimus M sub-forum and catch up on what software improvements (ROMS, etc) can be done before I sell them.

I'll be glad for all of you when Metro gets more great quality LTE phones. The LG Connect isn't appreciably better than the LG Esteem, and has a smaller screen (and still has 2.3 Gingerbread). After that, it's Huwawei and ZTE.

I know the Galaxy S III is coming in a few months... But I just got tired of waiting and went to the Galaxy Nexus with 4.1 Jelly Bean. Jelly Bean is nice! ;)

MetroPCS was good to me financially back when I really needed that! And I still don't want to pay a lot per month. (But my Straight Talk is $45/month + couple dollars tax and you can bring whatever sim phone you want with HSPA+ speeds.)

It's strange now trying to learn about GSM stuff after having so long used CDMA + LTE. With Straight Talk, at least the HSPA+ download speeds are comparable to Metro's LTE speeds. Upload speeds could be better.:rolleyes:

screen_20120721_0033.png

I know HSPA+ is not "4G", but data speed/price/coverage/good phone are the qualities I care about, and ST + Galaxy Nexus fits the prescription right now. As long as Straight Talks's HSPA+ is as fast or faster than Metro's LTE, I don't care about Gs. Nowadays it's all about speed for our smarphones. (Remember the old argument whether CDMA 1x was "3G" or not? I didn't care if it was 3G. It was only 170k max, and 100k or less in "real life" -- so it SUCKED.:mad:)

Plus the combo of AT&T and T-mobile networks gives me true nationwide coverage without having to roam on Sprint at 1x speed, or pay to roam on Verizon with no data. And the Galaxy Nexus gives the S III a run for its money. If not the best phone anymore, it's very close 2nd with pure Google Android. :p Both our phones are running 4.1.1.

But this post was more to help anyone who wanted to sell their phone than a post about MetroPCS or Straight Talk. :)

Upvote 0
No offense but I don't get why people would load custom roms onto phones when they sell them..

Because the ROM I put on is more stable and faster than stock LG Esteem. Plus makes the battery last longer.

I bet you never owned an LG Esteem, have you? Specs are decent but we had issues with random rebooting, and battery life sucks (more so than with other phones).

The battery issues are because LG used the EXACT same battery -- 1500 mAh -- in the 4.3" LTE + CDMA, 1GHz Esteem as they do in your 3.2" CDMA-only 600 MHz LG Optimus M. :mad: I still own 2 LG Optimus so I know what I am talking about. 1500 mAh for an LTE phone, with a bigger screen and bigger CPU? What were they thinking? :thinking:

LG started upgrading the software to try to fix the rebooting issues, but the LG Esteem/LG Revolution (Verizon's model), were still 1st gen LTE phones. LG Rev came out in March 2011, Metro got the stripped down (1/4 the internal memory) 5 months later. Since then, speed tweaks have been found by developers for the Revolution and transferred over to the Esteem.

By upgrading from stock LG ZVB ROM to stock stock LG ZVD ROM, that probably fixed the rebooting issues. But then by going from ZVD ROM to idrifta's ROM #2, that fixed the speed and battery issues as much as can be fixed.

Do you understand now? I did it because I wanted it to be worth the $250 I was asking. I didn't want to sell them a crippled phone.

After updating to idrifta's ROM #2, I then used Fuzzy13's ICS theme to make it look more "standard". It was more the performance of the phone I wanted to improve before selling, not change the look to some avant garde theme.

Now for the 2 LG Optimus Ms, I wouldn't fee the need to do so much, UNLESS there's a good ROM out there to take the Optimus M from Froyo to at least Gingerbread?

2.3 Gingerbread, while old, is still 2x better than 2.2 Froyo. ;) Are you telling me when you sell your phone, you are taking it back to Froyo?

Even though I was one of the earliest posters in the LG Optimus sub-forum --EVEN BEFORE ROOT WAS FOUND -- I've not been over there in a while. Since you still actively use your Optimus M and you have a custom ROM, is there anything useful going on over there?

Upvote 0
I just never thought it was a good idea, because its likely the person buying the phone isn't very aware or knowledgeable on android.

So if, no when they have some kind of issue, troubleshooting will be much more difficult. Id understand if you gave the option of leaving it stock or putting a custom Rom to the buyer, but leaving a custom Rom on may cause issues.

I've had friends who know how to root and everything, and got a premodifued device, they all started from scratch so they would know exactly what they had done.
I haven't used an om since like October. Then I got an esteem, got bored and sold it in April or may now I'm using a sensation 4g on tmobile, sorry I never bothered updating that devices thing :p

I'd sell my phone no matter what, bone stock but with the latest update, unless it made rooting or soff difficult.
Though I'll give you this, selling a phone custom rommed isn't as bad on the esteem as it would be on the sensation..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones