• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some issues after jelly bean update.... Verizon

I'm having that exact problem right there! "media" and "sdcard" are 2 that I've never seen before the Jelly bean update.
Did you ever resolve this "media" problem? Using Better Battery Stats, I can see that MediaScannerService is causing a partial wakelock. I have reformatted my sd card, and tried some other tips, and I can get it to stop for a while, but then it eventually comes back. It's terrible!

Upvote 0
Just updated to 4.1.1 on my Verizon Galaxy S3 32GB....

1. The battery does appear to run out quicker. I am noticing and have a 4000mah battery, so cringe at the thought of stock size.

Haven't really tracked this one way or the other.

2. The radio seems no better or worse

Mine seems to be *much* better, at least as far as About device Status reports:

Before: -119 dBm
After: -91 dBm

3. I am not seeing it any faster or slower

Anecdotally seems faster to me..

4. Foxfi issue blows.

Sucks that the previous 'free' version was disabled, but at least the new one still seems to work on my 4.1.1 on my Verizon Galaxy S3 32GB as a WIFI hot spot. Just need to convince myself that it isn't a aberration before I buy the full version.

Even if it does work, the Foxfi folks really need to be taken to task for how they handled things :(

Yea, it's not about the money, it's about the way they did it. They should have released a paid version as a paid version and stopped supporting the previous version i.e. no more new updates, but the way they did it where the automatically updated us to a paid version is immoral. Because of this I refuse to buy the paid version....ever. I'll give my money to an honest dev even if it costs more.

Upvote 0
Yea, it's not about the money, it's about the way they did it. They should have released a paid version as a paid version and stopped supporting the previous version i.e. no more new updates, but the way they did it where the automatically updated us to a paid version is immoral. Because of this I refuse to buy the paid version....ever. I'll give my money to an honest dev even if it costs more.

Never ever ever allow automatic updating. Just dont do it.

Upvote 0
Did you ever resolve this "media" problem? Using Better Battery Stats, I can see that MediaScannerService is causing a partial wakelock. I have reformatted my sd card, and tried some other tips, and I can get it to stop for a while, but then it eventually comes back. It's terrible!

For me turning off Google Now ... not just cards ... the whole process made the Media process go away. Still tinkering with different settings but that is the only way so far I have reduced the Media process usage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones