1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Some questions from a novice

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Ugly, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Ugly

Ugly Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Hello All

This is my first smart phone and so far I

Advertisement

2. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    It wouldn't hurt to install an antivirus software on your phone. Just like your computer, your phone is susceptible to malware/viruses. Having an AV will give you an extra layer of protection. Protecting yourself against threats is very similar to the way you will do it on a computer. To name a few - Don't install apps you don't trust or know anything about - Do not click on suspicious email/sms/website links - do not transmit sensitive data using public wifi.

One additional pointer, using an app to connect to a service is much safer than going through a mobile browser.

A widget is an app that is running on your homescreen like a weather or twitter widget. It is constantly running and updating. It does not require you to execute (open) the program to access information.

An app is program that you need to execute (open) to access its information.

3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Keep in mind that you can't just look at the permissions requested. You need to look at the bigger picture to see if the permissions requested are actually suitable given the app's features. Also keep in mind that the name of the permission doesn't always tell you why the app is requesting the permission. There are often certain specific permissions needed that are lumped together with other permissions. Without info on the app that you're talking about in your example, it's impossible to really comment on whether or not the additional permissions were warranted or not.

Format and resolution are 2 different things. Resolution should not depend on the format. What's optimal for your device depends on your device's screen resolution.

4. Ugly

Ugly Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Dylo22 & takeshi thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions and sorry about the delay in responding.

1. Antivirus & Spyware

I suppose that my real problem with smart phones is that they seem so open and vulnerable to attack and data theft. I have only been able to find 7 threats, all Trojans. As the threat makers have only been going for about 6 months, there is still plenty of time for them to start innovating.

Maybe I

5. watsonchris

watsonchris Lurker
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    help not sure which phone to buy either the increible or desire s . help.
    ps already own a desire

6. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

7. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010

8. Ugly

Ugly Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011