• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Somebody please help me!

I can't find it anywhere. I'll try to download and host on my Dropbox... Could take awhile.

ok. Seriously, thanks a lot for all of your help. I really appreciate it. I jumped right into this thinking it would be as easy as the triumph. I was sadly mistakened haha. That doesnt mean Im not gonna try it again once I get this thing running again, because I now have some resources, and a little more knowledge than I did before, thanks to you guys!

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
No problem I hope it works too! Weird I downloaded on my phone with no problem over wifi....

Ok so it downloaded just fine for me. I started it up, it eventually gave me two options.

Update from image version 1.14.652.0 to image version 1.13.652.2.

Or hit exit to quit. So, of course I hit update.

It then proceeded to updat signature( not sure what that means)

My phone screen went black with the whits htc logo.

It did something for a couple minutes, then I got this.

ERROR [140]: Bootloader version error

The ROM update utility cannot update your android phone. Please get the correct ROM update utility and try again.

My phone went back to the bootloader screen, and where it says "RELOCKED" at the top, it says right below that "SECURITY WARNING" now

What now?? lol

Upvote 0
See this post for the file, you already have the ota update applied to your phone so that the mainver is higher than the RUU is, so you can flash the file and then run the RUU without getting the error message. Good luck. :D

Im sorry, but you lost me. I cant really flash anything to my phone as of right now. I cant even open up the recovery from bootloader. Could you be more specific. This is all new to me. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hmmm. I have never ran into this because the evo 3d has an ruu available for each version. I have not seen an ruu for the newest evo v version. The only difference is some Firmware.

I will call in Scotty. There's got to be a way to get around this. If anyone knows, scotty will. Sit tight, unless someone else can walk you through it. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what to do in this situation and don't want you to get stuck. If you need to get up and running until we can figure this all out, you should be able to flash a stock rom through fastboot. Just like when you first rooted. You'd unlock, flash recovery if it's not there anymore and flash a rom. I will pm Scotty now.

Reactions: bhoff15226
Upvote 0
Hmmm. I have never ran into this because the evo 3d has an ruu available for each version. I have not seen an ruu for the newest evo v version. The only difference is some Firmware.

I will call in Scotty. There's got to be a way to get around this. If anyone knows, scotty will. Sit tight, unless someone else can walk you through it. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what to do in this situation and don't want you to get stuck. If you need to get up and running until we can figure this all out, you should be able to flash a stock rom through fastboot. Just like when you first rooted. You'd unlock, flash recovery if it's not there anymore and flash a rom. I will pm Scotty now.

I just came acroos the ruu log on my pc from when I tried to run it. Might have some info that might help. Not sure though. I will pm that to you

Upvote 0
That's the problem, he has the new mainver on his phone but the RUU is a lower version so it won't flash. If he installed that file that I linked it'll reset his mainver and allow the RUU to run successfully.

Upvote 0
That's the problem, he has the new mainver on his phone but the RUU is a lower version so it won't flash. If he installed that file that I linked it'll reset his mainver and allow the RUU to run successfully.

I don't think he can get into recovery.

And I don't see a file in your post, but I'm on tapatalk so that could be the problem.

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=5308004

If he can get into recovery, flash this.

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
as youve found,the unlimited team is very adiment about their directions being followed exactly,and their tools not being incorporated into all in one kits. with the complexity of new phones,the processes are very intricate,at the least. any varience,while may work in some cases,can get you into trouble.

if ladyx's advice was to run an ruu,then that should get you up and running.

from the info below,you need the correct ruu. you canot update backwards on an s-on device(from 1.14 to 1.13) so we need to find an ruu for 1.14.652.0.

Update from image version 1.14.652.0 to image version 1.13.652.2.

My phone went back to the bootloader screen, and where it says "RELOCKED" at the top, it says right below that "SECURITY WARNING" now

What now?? lol

failing that,you can always re-unlock your phone with the original token. the security warning is what happens when the bootloader is relocked on custom firmware,and nothing to be concerned with. the ways out are:
1)run a full,signed ruu
2)re-unlock.

i *think* you are stuck on jpbear's custom boot image. if you cannot find an ruu to run,you can try this:
-pull the boot image from your rom onthe PC. put it into the folder containing fastboot(c/android if you followed htcdev directions)
-reunlock bootloader
-flash the boot image with this command:
fastboot flash boot imagename.img
(assuming the boot image to just be named 'boot':
fastboot flash boot boot.img)
-launch or boot to your recovery
-full wipe and reflash rom
-cross fingers
-reboot

only try this as a last resort,as i am not a member of unlimited.io and you should make every attempt to do take the course of action recomended by them first. :)

im off to work,so i dont have time atm to help you guys look for the ruu,but brian is good at tracking them down. ill try and watch in case you guys have further questions :)

Upvote 0
Bhoff. Can you still access recovery? It sounds like we just need to flash a file and then run the Ruu. As scotty85 said, we need the correct ruu but unfortunately I have never found one for the newest ota. Which is why you need to flash the file listed above to lower your mainver and allow you to run the Ruu!

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
recovery should be easily enuff accessed if he re- unlocks. However the hboot in the ota will need to be the same as the one in the ruu you're trying to flash.

If the ota hboot is newer,the ruu will pass the main version check,but still fail the hboot check.

The newer phones are unfortunately too smart to be tricked into downgrading hboot. :(

Upvote 0
Bhoff. Can you still access recovery? It sounds like we just need to flash a file and then run the Ruu. As scotty85 said, we need the correct ruu but unfortunately I have never found one for the newest ota. Which is why you need to flash the file listed above to lower your mainver and allow you to run the Ruu!

I am not able to access recovery from my phone. The option is there, but when I select it, the phone vibrates, shows the htc logo, then goes right back to the bootloader screen. I just re-unlocked the bootloader, and downloaded the above file, which is supposed to set my mainver to 1.000.000.0. I have no idea how to flash it though, seeing as its a zip file. Is there a way to make it an img, so I can flash it through command prompt, or am I going to have to try something else?

Upvote 0
what happens wen you select recovery now that you are unlocked?

When I turn the phone on, it is automatically in fastboot usb, so I have to select bootloader. When I do that, this shows up:

sd checking...
loading...[PG86DIAG.zip]
No Image!
Loading...[PG86DIAG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loading...[PG86IMG.zip]
Parsing...[PG86IMG.zip]

Then that goes away, and I am in hboot

Upvote 0
recovery should be easily enuff accessed if he re- unlocks. However the hboot in the ota will need to be the same as the one in the ruu you're trying to flash.

If the ota hboot is newer,the ruu will pass the main version check,but still fail the hboot check.

The newer phones are unfortunately too smart to be tricked into downgrading hboot. :(
The misctool utility used by that zip file (attached to this post) was developed by drellisdee, one of the developers for the Amon-RA recovery for the OG Evo, originally for the HTC Rezound which is a newer phone than the Evo 3D/V. I've used it to reset the mainver on my 3D, but I'm S-OFF and have no way to test it on an Evo V that is S-ON, but according to the developer it should reset the mainver as long as the phone is rooted and that should allow flashing an older RUU/hboot with S-ON. The Rezound got the wire trick very late so the users were forced to deal with S-ON for quite a while.

In this case, if the phone is unlocked again it should be possible to flash a custom recovery via fastboot and then run the zip file to reset mainver. I can't guarantee that will work but it's the only method I've heard about to try flashing an RUU with a lower mainver on an S-ON phone.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
When I turn the phone on, it is automatically in fastboot usb, so I have to select bootloader. When I do that, this shows up:

sd checking...
loading...[PG86DIAG.zip]
No Image!
Loading...[PG86DIAG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loading...[PG86IMG.zip]
Parsing...[PG86IMG.zip]

Then that goes away, and I am in hboot
You need to delete the PG86DIAG.zip and PG86IMG.zip files from the root of your SD card so you can get into the "fastboot usb" mode of the bootloader and flash a custom recovery. You can do that on another device such as a PC with an SD card reader, or you can just take out the SD card for now to get to fastboot mode and flash your recovery.

You may still have your recovery intact, but you won't be able to get to it until you delete or rename those files.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
You need to delete the PG86DIAG.zip and PG86IMG.zip files from the root of your SD card so you can get into the "fastboot usb" mode of the bootloader and flash a custom recovery. You can do that on another device such as a PC with an SD card reader, or you can just take out the SD card for now to get to fastboot mode and flash your recovery.

You may still have your recovery intact, but you won't be able to get to it until you delete or rename those files.

ramjet73

I tried plugging my sd card into my pc, and it tells me I have to format it first, before I can access it. Should I do that? I didnt wanna delete something I needed and dig myself a deeper hole.

Upvote 0
I tried plugging my sd card into my pc, and it tells me I have to format it first, before I can access it. Should I do that? I didnt wanna delete something I needed and dig myself a deeper hole.
Don't format it, just choose the option to scan and correct errors, then you should be able to delete or rename those files. If you don't get the scan option automatically you can right click on the drive letter in Windows Explorer, choose properties, then tools and check and correct errors from there.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Don't format it, just choose the option to scan and correct errors, then you should be able to delete or rename those files. If you don't get the scan option automatically you can right click on the drive letter in Windows Explorer, choose properties, then tools and check and correct errors from there.

ramjet73

Ok I was able to delete it, should I be replacing that file with something else? I am still unable to boot recovery

Upvote 0
Ok I was able to delete it, should I be replacing that file with something else? I am still unable to boot recovery
Can you get into "fastboot usb" mode now if you connect your phone to the PC and start the bootloader then press the power button? If you can do that you can issue the "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" command from the PC to re-flash your custom recovery.

ramjet73

Reactions: DonB and bhoff15226
Upvote 0
Can you get into "fastboot usb" mode now if you connect your phone to the PC and start the bootloader then press the power button? If you can do that you can issue the "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" command from the PC to re-flash your custom recovery.

ramjet73

HA! I got recovery baby. Now Im gonna flash harmonia, and everyhting should be A OK, right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones