• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Something "ate" 25 MB of app storage overnight, Google Play Services?

sunsetlover

Nov 23, 2015
This has been happening for some time over the last few months. I'm watching App Storage daily because I'm running out of space. Last night something ate up 25 MB of storage without me downloading anything. I checked all my apps, ran an AV, nothing.

I'm suspecting Google Play Services, since a) this is a recurring problem over the last 6-12 months, and b) I find that it eats battery like there's no tomorrow (see attached).

I'm running Android 4.4.2 and I have location, sync and "auto-update apps" OFF.

Can someone take a look at these screenshots and tell me if they are similar to what they have running?

Thanks!

Screenshot_2018-09-04-11-23-56.png Screenshot_2018-09-04-08-49-35.png

Consider yourself lucky...

Here's the usage on my phone...

You may want to disable data when you're not using it to conserve battery life...

This has been happening for some time over the last few months. I'm watching App Storage daily because I'm running out of space. Last night something ate up 25 MB of storage without me downloading anything. I checked all my apps, ran an AV, nothing.

I'm suspecting Google Play Services, since a) this is a recurring problem over the last 6-12 months, and b) I find that it eats battery like there's no tomorrow (see attached).

I'm running Android 4.4.2 and I have location, sync and "auto-update apps" OFF.

Can someone take a look at these screenshots and tell me if they are similar to what they have running?

Thanks!

View attachment 135382 View attachment 135383

Attachments

• _temp.png
    _temp.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 299
Reactions: sunsetlover
Upvote 0
FYI here's the Google Play Services on my Huawei Mate 10 with Android 8.1
googleservices.jpg
Version 13.2.78. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android 8.0, and Google Play Services is version 12.8.74, storage used 92MB. Note: my S7 doesn't have many apps installed.

And here's my total internal storage used by Apps, etc.
apps.jpg

FWIW I've always bought phones that have more than enough internal storage for the data I'm likely to be using.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
FYI here's the Google Play Services on my Huawei Mate 10 with Android 8.1
View attachment 135401
Version 13.2.78. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android 8.0, and Google Play Services is version 12.8.74, storage used 92MB. Note: my S7 doesn't have many apps installed.

And here's my total internal storage used by Apps, etc.
View attachment 135402

FWIW I've always bought phones that have more than enough internal storage for the data I'm likely to be using.

Thank you. So upwards of 400 MB of storage.

It would be interesting to track the storage used over a period of time, say 1-2-3 months.

Upvote 0
Try clearing GMS data and free up space

How do I clear GMS data?

I've already uninstalled 2-3 apps and all my music and photos are in the SD card.

Yesterday Google Play Services ate 39% of my battery, I had never seen that before, see attached.
What happens if I disable it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-07-15-21-13.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-07-15-21-13.png
    98 KB · Views: 278
Upvote 0
Forgot to add an important piece, I'm in China now and of course anything by Google is blocked. So it could be that it's trying constantly to update unsucessfully. However, I have long ago set up "auto update apps" to off. Also "auto sync" is disabled. So not sure what's going on.
Try using a vpn it should unblock anything from china i can send u a recommending u a vpn app just pm me

Reactions: sunsetlover
Upvote 0
How do I clear GMS data?

I've already uninstalled 2-3 apps and all my music and photos are in the SD card.

Yesterday Google Play Services ate 39% of my battery, I had never seen that before, see attached.
What happens if I disable it?

Have a look at NoRoot Firewall in the PS. You can block wifi and/or data accesses on an app-by-app or URL/IP address basis. A great little tool I use the hell out of...

Upvote 0
Forgot to add an important piece, I'm in China now and of course anything by Google is blocked. So it could be that it's trying constantly to update unsucessfully. However, I have long ago set up "auto update apps" to off. Also "auto sync" is disabled. So not sure what's going on.

That's not been a problem for any Android devices I've got. Although I did have a Samsung Grand six years ago that was draining battery because it couldn't ping and sync to Google. But I'm sure they've fixed it now, if Google is inaccessible it doesn't keep on trying. I do use a VPN on my phones, but it's not connected all the time.

Upvote 0
That's not been a problem for any Android devices I've got. Although I did have a Samsung Grand six years ago that was draining battery because it couldn't ping and sync to Google. But I'm sure they've fixed it now, if Google is inaccessible it doesn't keep on trying. I do use a VPN on my phones, but it's not connected all the time.

I can confirm now that it is because of China and Google being blocked, plus a faulty design on Google's part.

I was in Europe last month for 2 weeks and Google Play Services was draining battery at 3-5%, EVERY time I checked. I'm back in China now and it is draining battery at 15-25%.

For all intents and purposes, the thread is closed and there's no solution, other than to keep a vpn on pretty much all the time.

Upvote 0
I can confirm now that it is because of China and Google being blocked, plus a faulty design on Google's part.

I was in Europe last month for 2 weeks and Google Play Services was draining battery at 3-5%, EVERY time I checked. I'm back in China now and it is draining battery at 15-25%.

For all intents and purposes, the thread is closed and there's no solution, other than to keep a vpn on pretty much all the time.

I've not seen that problem myself recently, when going between China and Europe(UK). This is with a Huawei Mate 10, Oppo R9 plus and Samsung Galaxy S7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones