• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Something went wrong flashing stock 5.1 image

ok one of my Nexus 7's just suddenly had the memory die and was stuck in basically the same place you are on the Google screen.
it's a common issue with the Nexus 7 - just cheap memory :(
no matter what I did no image would flash, no matter how many times I tried no matter which image I tried, nothing - nada- zip.....
this could possibly be your situation.

after I finally bit the bullet and quit, I purchased the 16 Gigabyte motherboard for about 20 bucks. Popped out the old one, slapped the used one in and have been running fine since.
being that I have two Nexus 7's I purchased another spare motherboard and went ahead and rooted it and updated it to 5.0.2 just in case I ever need another one ;)
I'm not saying this is the case for you but it is a possibility...

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
just go ahead and swap them :)
it's a pretty painless process - all plug and play. just watch a couple of videos on the teardown and take your time and be very careful with all the tape & ribbon cables. make sure the first thing you do is disconnect the battery when you pop the back off - you don't want to short anything out on your good board.
you'll be back in business in no time ;)

Upvote 0
So I decided after I had swapped the parts to just put the cracked screen device back together, and just for kicks hook it up to the computer and try one last time to save it. I ran the wugs toolkit flash stock + unroot, with the status set to soft-bricked, and it worked.

I can only guess that unplugging and replugging the battery did it (I can't imagine that swapping the display would have any other impact on the device).

So for anyone else that has a nexus 7 that won't flash the system image, try popping the back off, unplugging the battery (probably leave it that way for a few minutes, to make sure any charge on the board dissipates), plug it back in and try again. Nothing to lose, and popping the back off and disconnecting the battery cable is extremely easy!

Oh, and I guess I'm going to be buying a replacement screen for this cracked nexus 7 after all!

Upvote 0
That's awesome!!! :)
one of my Nexus 7's quit charging/was just slowly charging insanely slow, I bought an extra broken screen Nexus 7 to swap out the micro USB port. I swaped them out and both tablets charge just fine now. I had tried everything with that tablet removing the USB port cleaning the contacts reseating the ribbon cables - every known fix and just magically both work when swapped to another tablet.
thanks for posting the info a lot of people have this problem

Edit to add,
the Nexus 7 is so finicky, picky and crazy but it's still a great little tablet :):):)

Upvote 0
I had this happen to me once. Tablet shut down in the middle of flashing back to facotry image from a custom rom, would not boot except into bootloader. After numerous failed attempts to reflash stock, I gave up and just turned the tablet off. I decided a day later to give it one last shot and it flashed successfully. I don't know what difference turning it off for a day did, but it worked for me. Oh, and when it did work, I was using Wug's Toolkit, soft bricked selected and booted to the bootloader.

Upvote 0
I should add that when my memory died I was in the middle of using the Nexus 7.
All of a sudden the screen got buggy and the tablet crashed while at the same time the speakers made a terrible sound. So I knew for sure my motherboard had died as it gave me its last death rattle. It was well over 2 years old ;)
Just in case anyone might find this thread helpful :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones