• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Soon to join the ranks

Hi,
My name's Tom and I posted an introduction in the intro area but I figured why not do it here too since this will be my main area.

I went searching most of the local AT&T stores today looking for an S2 but none have them. They have the Skyrocket and are eager to push it but it isn't worth the extra $100 in regards to my particular needs. The bigger screen is nice but I don't live in an LTE area (probably won't have that in my area for a year or two). Heck, where I live doesn't even get 3G without a microcell. Fortunately, most places I work in (I'm a paver) has good 3G coverage.
I also actually prefer the smaller size of the S2. It'll fit the pocket better as well as my hand and I think the 480x800 resolution looks a little bit better on the smaller screen. Lets just say it's an overall better fit for me and what I need :)

I have one more shop to look at tomorrow then if I have no luck finding an S2 I'll just order it from AT&T online. My reasoning is if I order it from AT&T (even online) I should be able to bring it to any corporate store if I run into a problem.

Anyway I look forward to participating here. I don't really have a lot of questions at this point. I've pretty much been able to find everything I need through the search function.
I'm sure that'll change once I get my phone though :D

Reactions: Mostly Harmless
I am in a similar situation, Tom. We won't see LTE in my area for at least a year and by then I'll probably be looking at new phones again. I too thought the Skyrocket's extra screen size just wasn't worth the extra bulk or the additional $50 (here in the East).

I picked up my SGS2 at Target for significantly less that the AT&T store, so you might want to try there, Walmart or Radio Shack, too. I tend not to upgrade my phones at the corporate store both for the cost savings that can be had in the retail channel and the high pressure the reps in the AT&T store are under to get customers to sign up for crap they don't want or need. My target experience was pretty much "I want that phone, here's my mobile number and my credit card." 15 minutes later I was out the door.

When you've run into your first head scratcher, we'll be here happy to help you find your way. :D

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I am in a similar situation, Tom. We won't see LTE in my area for at least a year and by then I'll probably be looking at new phones again. I too thought the Skyrocket's extra screen size just wasn't worth the extra bulk or the additional $50 (here in the East).

I picked up my SGS2 at Target for significantly less that the AT&T store, so you might want to try there, Walmart or Radio Shack, too. I tend not to upgrade my phones at the corporate store both for the cost savings that can be had in the retail channel and the high pressure the reps in the AT&T store are under to get customers to sign up for crap they don't want or need. My target experience was pretty much "I want that phone, here's my mobile number and my credit card." 15 minutes later I was out the door.

When you've run into your first head scratcher, we'll be here happy to help you find your way. :D

Another suggestion for places to get your S2 is Amazon. I'm a VZW customer, but I know they sell AT&T as well. When I got my son a Droid X2 VZW wanted $99, I got the same phone on my VZW contract through Amazon for $0.01 (yes, a penny). I did the same thing with my Wife's phone (HTC Rhyme) and saved $100.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses.

I had to take today off so I called AT&T to do some last minute research.
It turns out that during the first 30 days if you have a problem you have to return the phone to where you bought it from then after the first 30 days it goes to the corporate store of your choice if you run into problems.

So I'm going to make a run to Best Buy in a few hours. It's only 30 miles away and it beats waiting for the phone to be shipped.
Same price as AT&T, maybe a bit more tax because they price the retail higher than AT&T but I'm not going to whine over a $5-$10 dollar difference. Especially after AT&T agreed to waive the $36 activation fee. Very cool of them.

After reading all the replies it took me about two nano seconds to realize that there are better ways than online. So thank you all :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones