• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sooo...VOIP is in Gingerbread?

I was trying to make VOIP work when I was running short on minutes a few months back and never got it done, and I read somewhere that VOIP is supposedly in this GB update. But I have yet to find anything related to VOIP...anyone wanna point me in right direction?

It's on the Xoom via a framework-res update I believe. Probably need to do the same thing on the X.

Upvote 0
It's on the Xoom via a framework-res update I believe. Probably need to do the same thing on the X.

Ahh well, I have an IT background, but zero experience with Linux and I haven't had an Android device very long. So I don't know what a framework-res update is yet lol...

So there are different versions of Gingerbread based on the device?

Somehow I see Verizon blocking at all costs anything that lets me get around using minutes I have to pay them for. So I will have to root my DX to make any type of usable VOIP work, right?

Upvote 0
Ahh well, I have an IT background, but zero experience with Linux and I haven't had an Android device very long. So I don't know what a framework-res update is yet lol...

So there are different versions of Gingerbread based on the device?

Somehow I see Verizon blocking at all costs anything that lets me get around using minutes I have to pay them for. So I will have to root my DX to make any type of usable VOIP work, right?

Not true. Check out the Skype on the market. There are other apps like nettalk that allow VOIP calling.

Upvote 0
GB is a joke. They market it as having VOIP and Tethering built in. In fact it has things that specifically block them.

I use Fring for VOIP and sometimes SIPdroid. Skype is evil.

Uh. You're getting things mixed up here.

Gingerbread, from Google, supports SIP and tethering.

Gingerbread, as modified by Motorola, does not.

"They" (Google) market it as having VOIP and tethering. That's good, but we don't have Google's implementation of Android.

"They" (Motorola) do not market it as having VOIP at all, and tethering only as a pay service.

Reactions: iron_city
Upvote 0
I guess I need to load a vanilla rom and see if it works

There's no such thing as a vanilla ROM for the X.

There are closer-to-vanilla ROMs such as GummyJAR for FroYo. I'm sure there will be similar ROMs for Gingerbread. There are no guarantees about what functions that will enable, though, because a lot of these features (and I'm virtually certain VOIP is one of them) are deeply ingrained into the kernel, which we can't modify on the X.

Upvote 0
There's no such thing as a vanilla ROM for the X.

There are closer-to-vanilla ROMs such as GummyJAR for FroYo. I'm sure there will be similar ROMs for Gingerbread. There are no guarantees about what functions that will enable, though, because a lot of these features (and I'm virtually certain VOIP is one of them) are deeply ingrained into the kernel, which we can't modify on the X.

VOIP wasn't available on the Motorola Xoom either. I tweak to the framework file enables it. More likely then not Motorola disabled it on the X and didn't remove it.

Upvote 0
VOIP wasn't available on the Motorola Xoom either. I tweak to the framework file enables it. More likely then not Motorola disabled it on the X and didn't remove it.

Certainly possible. We are talking about two different operating systems, though, and the Xoom has a wifi-only version which means they have a practical reason to keep SIP calling enabled.

With the X being only a cellular-enabled device, they may have removed it at a more fundamental level to appease the cell companies.

Would love to find out that it's a simple tweak, though!

Upvote 0
Uh. You're getting things mixed up here.

Gingerbread, from Google, supports SIP and tethering.

Gingerbread, as modified by Motorola, does not.

"They" (Google) market it as having VOIP and tethering. That's good, but we don't have Google's implementation of Android.

"They" (Motorola) do not market it as having VOIP at all, and tethering only as a pay service.

Ah ha...after some research this was my suspicion too, and I think you are right. I hate being marketed to like I'm a moron...the more I learn the more Motorola/Verizon annoy me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones