• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file"

JaZzY_JeF

Sep 3, 2009
Hi,

Has anyone else had this issue while trying to play MP3's through the Music player? I downloaded this album the other day (legally of course), the first track plays fine but the rest of them just throw up this error.

"Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file"

The tracks play fine in media player so I'm a little stumped.

Any help appreciated.

I ran into this problem myself, and while I'm still not sure why it happened, I was able to solve the issue.

The files were .mp3s, and they appeared to be as such under codec properties, but still had issues as though they were encapsulated incorrectly (I think?). I had to re-encode them using VLC media player's "Convert/Save" feature. I chose the files individually and selected "Audio - MP3" as the desired output.

Hope this helps you too!

Upvote 0
this happens to me all the time. almost daily. it sucks. clearing the memory doesn't do anything. the only thing that works is a laboursome reboot.

i run a bluetooth stereo headset, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. just random. if i play music one day, pause it, then try to play again the next day, there's a 50/50 it'll do that. seems to have something to do with long pauses.

bugs me because this is my primary music player at work, so this is my office "mp3 player," paired with a bluetooth stereo headset. plugging in conventional headphones, or ending all apps and clearing the memory level 2, does not fix the problem either.

Upvote 0
ok, i will try it. i try to stay away from bloatware (sorry, no offence, i mean anything other than stock) whenever possible, but seeing as how annoying this is, i will give it a try. i will report with how well it works with my bluetooth a2dp/avrcp headset, and "talk to me" non-cloud message annunciator app.

thanks.

Upvote 0
good news. works with my bluetooth avrcp and a2dp profiles, and talk to me annunciation app. i'm not sure how android knew that when i press play on the headphones, i want it to play mixzing and not the stock player, but it worked.

i like how i can identify songs through the player. i'm pretty organized and have most of my mp3's metadata tagged before uploading to the phone, but it was nice to see that i could do the few that i missed on the app. overall happy.

one issue though. it seems eager to quit the program to save on memory. when i pause, it seems to get lost at where it's at in the song, so when i hit play again, it sometimes plays a different part of the song, or a completely different song all together. might be fixed in a future app update. relatively minor issue.

Upvote 0
bad news. it actually doesn't work. different error message, but basically same result. cannot play file. i think it's an android media manager bug.

going with that lead, i tried to unmount and remount my external sd card. no joy. maybe most of you don't see an issue because your media is on the phone's internal memory, so i will try that next. but definitely a bug at play here. for portability purposes, i stash all media files on the removable sd card.

mixzing's error message is 'error opening audio file content...'

Upvote 0
Everybody has their media (I assume you mean the MP3 files) on the SD card. They store automatically there. You would not get many songs on the phone's internal memory! I have over 50 albums on my Hero (16GB SD card and plenty of space left) and have no problems playing any of them using MixZing, so I suspect it is not a bug in the software.

Is this happening with just one media file or all of them? If it is just one or two I would guess those files have got corrupted. What format is your music saved in? Have you tried re-installing the music? How are you transferring your music files onto the Hero?

Upvote 0
the files are not getting damaged. the fix is to reboot the phone, so that means the files are fine.

i actually don't have the hero. i have a samsung galaxy s captivate. but the error message and symptoms are the same as this thread, and there is no thread on the samsung side about this issue. i'm now using the phone's 16-gig internal flash memory to store the media, and it seems ok so far. i'll let you know if it throws up the error message again though.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem and its not DRM or an issue with the player. If I reboot or unmount/remount the SD (Flash) card then the files play fine. I am thinking it has something to do with the Media Scanner process. On my phone this prolblem not only affects MP3's but custom ringtones and voice mail as well. I have been considering formatting the flash card to see if that fixes the problem.

Upvote 0
Guys, this is a Hero Forum. I don't think you are going to get much help here for Samsung phones - suggest you repost in relevant Samsung forum. Despite suggestions By Google to the contrary the way that Android is implemented does depend upon phone make and model. To start off with the Hero has no inbuilt flash memory, only ROM and RAM. Not all Androids are equal

Upvote 0
well this is exactly what ive been looking for, my phone has been doing this since i updated to 2.2 on my captivate, and hero or not given this is a hero forum a lot of info is given off here so it could be posted in a samsung forum, but since i found it here that makes it better because android is a community of sharing and caring, i have had this problem like i said since i updated to 2.2, not only with music player, but with pandora, youtube, slacker...you get the idea...anything media related. I have had to reset my phone for it to work, which does the trick until the next day i try again on any of those programs, and lo and behold they dont work, so regardless of what phone you have it seems to be a problem running on different companies versions. if anyone has any ideas please keep posting, right now im trying to add them to my ignore list and resetting my phone, ill get to you tomorrow if that helped any

Upvote 0
Just throwing in my two cents.

I have an LG optimus 2x. Obviously a buggy phone from the get go. I have the same issue. I've determined it isn't drm or media player related, as I have no drm on any of my files and have tried a couple different players. Sometimes I can listen for hours without it happening. Sometimes it happens halfway through a song. Sometimes it wont work from the get go. Usually a reset fixes it, temporarily. Sometimes it takes two resets. I'm using android 2.2. Might try upgrading to 2.3

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones