• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sorting music..

Edbanger

Sep 24, 2009
I have just purchased a 16gb memory card, and filled it with music. When I put it in the phone, I have a lot of albums in the "unknown" folder, even though I renamed them. I'm a bit of an idiot, and now don't know what needs to be done to move them to the proper list. Any ideas? Most of my music comes from different sources. Thanks all..

I have just purchased a 16gb memory card, and filled it with music. When I put it in the phone, I have a lot of albums in the "unknown" folder, even though I renamed them. I'm a bit of an idiot, and now don't know what needs to be done to move them to the proper list. Any ideas? Most of my music comes from different sources. Thanks all..

what are you using to play your music? try poweramp it should cover all your needs

Upvote 0
Hi Edbanger,

I had the same problem, and as El Presidente has stated, this is due to the ID2/ID3 tags not being there.
To fix this I simply downloaded iTag - Music Tag Editor from the Android Market and fixed up my mp3's that way. If you have a large collection it would probably be easier to find an ID2/3 batch file capable (edit many files at once) software for your PC and edit the mp3s that way.

Edit: I chose iTag as it also completes the missing cover art and has a couple of advanced search options for tagging your mp3's.

Upvote 0
ive downloaded and tried a few media players, and they all put some of my albums in the unknown folder. its annoying rather than devastating....
can anyone recomend a program i can download on my pc to sort the ID3 tags or whatever they are called??
also, we all know the DHD has quite a low max volume. to get a decent level of volume when plugged in to my car or my hgv stereo i have the stereo on full volume, and still want for more......
so is there another pc program i can use to scan all my music and boost the volume on the recordings?? i hope you understand what i mean.
i used to have a samsung i8910( symbian) and someone developed a way of acsessing the phone system and you could turn up the max volume to a few extra decibels...... can this be done with the DHD??

Upvote 0
can anyone recomend a program i can download on my pc to sort the ID3 tags or whatever they are called?? to scan all my music and boost the volume on the recordings?? i hope you understand what i mean.

Yeah, read the post above, Sombre makes a decent recommendation. Although WMP and Winamp will do the same job with the files on your PC too.

i used to have a samsung i8910( symbian) and someone developed a way of acsessing the phone system and you could turn up the max volume to a few extra decibels...... can this be done with the DHD??

Yeah, it's called rooting but I'm not sure if it can be used to do what you want it too. There are alternative ROMS out there that may fix the volume issue, but if, as you say, you are "a bit of an idiot" then it's probably best not to try installing one in case you knacker the phone. :p

In saying that though, it is relatively easy (it was on my GF's ZTE Blade) and there are plenty of guides about to help.

Upvote 0
iTunes is the best way to edit ID3 tags...

It's also the best way to sync with HD, using iTunes Agent from PC.

Make sure all your Titles and names are correct in iTunes > Close Re Open iTunes

Make sure there is a jpeg in the root album folder on the hard drive called album.jpg (iTunes tells you where the music is located under Right Click > Get Info)

Highlight all tracks of an album in iTunes > Right click > Get Info

Drag album.jpg into Artwork from root album folder (important)

Sync.

Thats how I do mine. Never fails.org

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones