1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Sound

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by asher770, Sep 18, 2017.

1. asher770

asher770 Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2017
    When I plug in headphones my phone does not play stereo even though it initially did. All I get is mono sound. I tried restarting the phone,switching headphones to no avail.

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    When you're referring to 'mono sound' are you saying you're only hearing sounds in the left or right side, or is it a matter of a both are working but there's no real stereo separation (as in different instruments or vocalizations in the left or right sound piece)?
    Also is this happening all the time now with different apps and different files or is this just one file in particular that's the problem?. It could just be that file is saved as a stereo file but is only using one channel.

3. asher770

asher770 Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2017
    Both sides are working but not in stereo mode only mono. I tried Pandora premium as well as Amazon prime music and got the same result went to to advanced sound settings but did not find a solution to this problem.

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Still puzzled if this is a phone issue, an app issue, or just simple the content. Don't suppose you have a song handy that you know there's really good stereo separation in it? I rely on Pink Floyd's 'Money' from their Dark Side of the Moon to test headphones and such. There's very distinct sounds coming from both the left and right channels. Anyway, if you've got a mp3 of a song like that and using a good media player like MX Player or VLC you can determine what is or isn't working properly. If it's hardware that could be more difficult to fix, but if it's just software there's often alternatives. If it's just the content or the service streaming the content, that's going to be an issue.

mikedt and asher770 like this.
  5. mymailbox771

mymailbox771 Lurker
    None

Oct 31, 2017
    Hate to be a tool in my first post but have you gone into search in settings and typed hearing? There's a setting for mono audio in there. See if it's switched on?

asher770 and A bochur like this.
  6. asher770

asher770 Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2017
    Mucho gracias. Your advice solved the problem completely. I had called Samsung support and spent over an hour with them to no avail. Their advice was to return the phone to them for repair. This would entail a complete reset of the phone and would take over a month to be returned. Once again many,many thanks.

Alena1960 and A bochur like this.
  7. mymailbox771

mymailbox771 Lurker
    None

Oct 31, 2017
    Aaay! 😎 Glad to be of service...interesting Samsung's answer is send it back and give us money 🤔

Alena1960 and asher770 like this.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus