• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Source of poor battery life (not let's fix it)

I want to make certain I'm understanding this... I've changed the setting in "Messages" and removed it from the "desktop". Then I installed Chomp (whose UI I really like). Then I restarted.

I'm only getting notifications from Chomp, but when I open Advanced Task Killer, it shows "Messages" and has a check box like I need to kill it. Can/should I ignore it?

Thanks.

I am also seeing the Messages app running using Taskiller. I restart my phone, then hit the power button to sleep it, then turn it back on, run Taskiller, and see Messages in the list, and I haven't sent a text or anything.

I replaced it with Handcent SMS (seems cool) and turned off the Messages notifications, so now only Handcent notifies me of texts.

Maybe Messages always appears after a reboot, but doesn't become active and battery draining until after first use? Anyone know? I'll keep my setup like this for a while to test it out.

Upvote 0
I don't think you completely disable in the included Messages program to fix the issue. The problem is sending a text with Messages causes a setting to be flipped that won't allow the phone to go into full standby mode. No one ever said you needed to completely disable it to fix anything. Using Taskiller was just something people trying to fix the problem were doing to narrow down what was causing it.

Install chompSMS.
Power Cycle your phone.
Never use Messages again.
Done

Upvote 0
I don't think you completely disable in the included Messages program to fix the issue. The problem is sending a text with Messages causes a setting to be flipped that won't allow the phone to go into full standby mode. No one ever said you needed to completely disable it to fix anything. Using Taskiller was just something people trying to fix the problem were doing to narrow down what was causing it.

Install chompSMS.
Power Cycle your phone.
Never use Messages again.
Done

yea i did that and the usage dropped significantly. Im trying to see if the messages app being active but unused causes a battery drain issue as well

Upvote 0
305Cane, I also have TasKiller and see the same as you when using Chomp. It still shows the stock Message indicator under the TasKiller list. I think it does that because it is still using the stock SMS to send...otherwise you have to pay for Chomp credits. My up time has since changed from 97% to 13% after installing Chomp. Hopefully it will lessen the battery drain anyways.

I still don't know what all the other indicators are in the TasKiller listing. All the "IQRD", "com.google.android.", HtcIQAgent", "OMADM", "Sprint Updater", "com.htc", "com.htc.providor". Anybody know if these need to be enabled all the time? And some won't kill even if i try.

Upvote 0
You're one of those people that start up the Windows Task Manager and randomly kill processes that you don't know what they do then complain when you computer breaks aren't you? ;)

If you don't know what it is, it's probably not a good idea to go forcing it to shut down. Especially if it has 'sprint', 'htc', or 'android' in the application's name. You could kill a process that needs to be running for your phone to work and corrupt something.

Android is an open application environment. Download the SDK and you'll find what a lot of the processes are for most likely.

Upvote 0
Ok. I am also experiencing ongoing battery issues even after implementing the discussed solution exactly.

Let me take you guys through the events of this morning for me. My poor battery life resulted in my battery running out last night, and because of circumstances I wasnt able to charge my phone until this morning for about 30-40 minutes before I had to leave home again. During those 30-40 minutes, I found out abuot and implemented the solution procedure (install chompSMS, restart, etc.) So my battery was at about 50% when I left the house. I listened to music for about 10 minutes, and noticed the batter went down quiet a bit, to low 40's. I figured it was understandable since I was listening to music. Then I got online via Browser to check this particular thread for any updates (not for long, maybe 2 minutes). Noticed battery was now down to 36%. Getting worried, I slept my phone and didnt touch it. After about 2 more minutes, I was curious so I checked my phone - battery had plummeted to 30%. in TWO MINUTES OF DOING NOTHING! 6 whole percent of battery! Then I really didnt mess with it for the duration of my classes...which was abuot 45 minutes, after which battery was DEAD. Now I'm home charging my battery while furiously writing this reply.

Please note that i had wi-fi DISABLED during the entire morning, and is stil disabled. No GPS, bluetooth, etc. I have Automatic Task Killer app enabled, which I set to kill basically all apps besides Mail, chompSMS, Browser, Music, Clock... and like maybe 1 or 2 other essential apps. In other words, each time I wake my phone the only apps alive and running are the ones I allowed.

Upvote 0
The following are the apps I have set to be killed each time the phone sleeps:
Abduction (market d/l'ed app)
AK Notepad (market d/l'ed app)
Albums
AudioManager (market d/l'ed app)
Battery status (market d/l'ed app)
Bible (market d/l'ed app)
Calculator
Calendar
Camera
com.amazon.mp3
com.coremibilityapp.vn
Device Self Service 1.1
Footprints
Gmail
Google Maps
Googly Sky Map (market d/l'ed app)
Google Talk
HTC Mobile Guide
IM
Labyrinth Lite (market d/l'ed app)
NFL Mobile
PDF Viewer
Peep
People
Pkt AUctions eBay (market d/l'ed app)
Quickoffice
Settings
Sprint Navigation
SprintTV
Stocks
Task Manager 1.10.7 (market d/l'ed app)
Teeter
Voice Dialer
Voice Recorder
Voice Search
Weather
YouTube

The following are NOT killed each time phone is put to sleep:
Browser
Clock
com.p1.chomsms
eBuddy
Mail
Market
Music

Awake Time/%:
0:23:00 (72%)
Note: I have chompSMS running normally, Messages app notification is disabled from previously, and Messages app was never opened since phone was restarted (thus i never sent a message with Messages).

I think an app that falls under the category you mentioned could be the "com.coremibilityapp.vn"... i dont know what that is, but i'll remove it from the task killer if you think thats a good idea.

Upvote 0
The following are the apps I have set to be killed each time the phone sleeps:
Abduction (market d/l'ed app)
AK Notepad (market d/l'ed app)
Albums
AudioManager (market d/l'ed app)
Battery status (market d/l'ed app)
Bible (market d/l'ed app)
Calculator
Calendar
Camera
com.amazon.mp3
com.coremibilityapp.vn
Device Self Service 1.1
Footprints
Gmail
Google Maps
Googly Sky Map (market d/l'ed app)
Google Talk
HTC Mobile Guide
IM
Labyrinth Lite (market d/l'ed app)
NFL Mobile
PDF Viewer
Peep
People
Pkt AUctions eBay (market d/l'ed app)
Quickoffice
Settings
Sprint Navigation
SprintTV
Stocks
Task Manager 1.10.7 (market d/l'ed app)
Teeter
Voice Dialer
Voice Recorder
Voice Search
Weather
YouTube

The following are NOT killed each time phone is put to sleep:
Browser
Clock
com.p1.chomsms
eBuddy
Mail
Market
Music

Awake Time/%:
0:23:00 (72%)
Note: I have chompSMS running normally, Messages app notification is disabled from previously, and Messages app was never opened since phone was restarted (thus i never sent a message with Messages).

I think an app that falls under the category you mentioned could be the "com.coremibilityapp.vn"... i dont know what that is, but i'll remove it from the task killer if you think thats a good idea.

Where in the settings can you pick which apps are auto-killed/closed upon entering sleep?

BTW thanks a ton guys my battery usage has gown WAY DOWN since using chompSMS (which btw is nice as hell :) )

Speaking of ChompSMS, my app settings says use phonebook pictures (which are synced with facebook) however the pictures are not showing up when in chompSMS? it was in messages app tho however...

Upvote 0
Where in the settings can you pick which apps are auto-killed/closed upon entering sleep?

BTW thanks a ton guys my battery usage has gown WAY DOWN since using chompSMS (which btw is nice as hell :) )

Speaking of ChompSMS, my app settings says use phonebook pictures (which are synced with facebook) however the pictures are not showing up when in chompSMS? it was in messages app tho however...

You can't do it with Task Manager 1.10.7, you have to download a seperate app called Automatic Task Killer. Then it is pretty self explanitory after you install and open that app.

Upvote 0
Yesterday I did ran all day long without ever turning on my WIFI and checked my battery meter several times throughout the day. I went to the gym and streamed Pandora for 45 minutes. Browsed the web quite a bit and had my weather apps running all day. My battery did not go below 40% for 10 hours!!! Today I woke up and enabled WIFI but did not use it. 2 Hours later my battery was at 60%. Bottom line do not enable WIFI unless you have to and your HERO will last MUCH longer.

Upvote 0
First of all, I turned off everything I didnt use all the time like GPS, WIFI, and Bluetooth. I just made shortcuts and added them to my homescreen. I left email and and most other things on, however I also turned off the Always-ON feature. I downloaded Handcent from the market to get around the dialer glitch. So as of now, i recieve emails up to date, all notifications and pretty much everything else. My phone has been on for 20 hours now and it hasnt gone above 5%!! I think thats a major improvement from 98% all the time!

Upvote 0
Hi all I have done all you guys have said to do and mine is still at 100%. The battery doesn't last a day. I was using yahoo mail on it but deleted that since i thought that might be the problem. On chomp what would i search for for customized messge styles I have search for them on market place but can't seem to find any. Any other suggestions would be helpful. I have the wifi, bluetooth, gps off at all times as well. I hate the battery life but the phone rocks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones