• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help speaker phone sound broken up

dlin95123

Apr 6, 2011
San Jose, CA
I am on my 4th day with Droid DNA. I like it a lot so far. However, the speech from the speaker phone is broken up. I am wondering if there is a better way to configure the speaker phone.

The use case is as follows. I use the phone to call a company and their IVR picks up my call. It asks me various questions and I have to enter a number to get to the next question. If I use the phone's earpiece to hear the questions, everything is loud and clear. But if I switch to speaker phone so that it would be easier for me to make selections, the sound quality is bad and the speech is broken up.

It seems that Droid DNA's microphone picks up something on my end and then cuts off the phone's speaker. But it is very quiet around me. So I am wondering if I can configure my phone to get better speaker phone quality.

Thanks.

Edit: After more testing with my new phone, I found that I have problems with the speaker phone for any landline numbers. For example, when I called my brother this morning, he told me that the sound was very choppy when I switched to speaker phone.

After more testing with my new phone, I found it is a general speaker phone problem with my Droid DNA. When I use the speaker phone to call a landline, both sides would notice choppy voice. The problem would go away after I switch to the earpiece.

Is it safe to conclude that I have a defective phone? I am trying to decide if I should get a replacement Droid DNA or switch to another brand. Thanks.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
I have been thinking to get another Droid DNA. I did a google search and it seems that I am the only one who has reported speaker phone problems. So the chance is pretty low of getting another Droid DNA with bad speaker phone. But...

I switched to Verizon Droid DNA from trying out 3 Sprint HTC One phones. They all had the death grip reception problems. In other words, if I held the phone at its bottom, its signal level would drop 20-25dB. Additionally, each phone had its unique problems as well. For example, the 3rd HTC One's email stopped working for 6 hours and then started to work again all by itself. The 2nd HTC One had a low sound volume level.

My current (and 1st) Droid DNA works pretty well except this speaker phone problem. So should I start the phone testing project for HTC all over again? I probably should....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones