• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] Can someone answer some newbie questions?

I just got my S3 and LOVE it!

Should I root now before taking the JB update (since its now being pushed out)

One I root, can I take the OTA JB update?

Is rooting this phone pretty easy? Will I keep all my apps/settings?

Thanks
Jason

You can root now if you want to. You don't have to wait for the JB OTA.

Rooting is very very easy. You won't lose any apps or settings as you don't have to factory reset before rooting. All internal/external storage will be preserved as well after root and even if you flash a new rom. Here's QBKing77's method. It's VERY easy. How to Root the Sprint / AT&T / T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III - Latest - YouTube

Just flash the latest stock rooted OTA (LI3) so you won't get that constant popup telling you to update your Samsung firmware. Here's the link --> [ROM]9/20/12 LI3 Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 3 OTA (Stock/ROOTED/Odex/DeOdex/Firmware!) - xda-developers

I actually suggest rooting now and whenever the Sprint version of the JB OTA for the S3 is released, someone WILL have a stock rooted version of the OTA for you to flash.

Reactions: jericko
Upvote 0
Thanks MusicJunkie

[ROM]9/20/12 LI3 Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 3 OTA (Stock/ROOTED/Odex/DeOdex/Firmware!) - xda-developers

Will I keep all my settings?

Once I root, can I take a OTA JB update, or will I need to flash a ROM?

If you flash that ROM, seeing as how you're on a stock ROM and that is a stock OTA, you don't have to wipe anything except CACHE and DALVIK-CACHE so all of your settings and data will be there.

But like most people will tell you, back up everything (apps and their data, sms/mms, etc) just in case. Always nandroid before flashing anything as well.

No you can't accept an OTA. You would have to flash a rooted version of that OTA over top what you already have.

Upvote 0
MusicJunkie

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am rooted!

One last question, I followed the Video, and now have SU and verified I am rooted. I am not seeing this Samsung FW notification, is that something that will appear after awhile?

I'm assuming you flashed the OTA that I suggested after you rooted? If you did then no you won't because it is the latest firmware from Samsung. If you didn't, eventually it will pester you to update.

Upvote 0
Do I want to download/Flash the DeOdex or Odex?

Either one. DeOdex is chosen if you want to flash themes and mods easier. Odex looks the same but I'm not sure if it's theme-able. I flashed Odex because I never apply a theme or mod to a stock ROM. If I want anything other than stock I flash another ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones