• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] rooted sprint s3 getting sprint message for update

arcolino1

Dec 11, 2011
hello all, I have the sprint s3 its has been rooted for a while, I've been getting this message about ota from sprint I tried to avoid the update but noticed my google play does not see my phone any more plus a couple of other things so I figure take the update. The phone will not take the update I get an error. How can I get the phone updated and keep my root and not have to re-root the phone or re-root my wifi mod or lose anything? I attached screen shots of the phone current info as well as the update image. let me know if anything else is needed? thx

Attachments

• phone info.jpg
    phone info.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 26
  • update message.jpg
    update message.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 47
Hey arcolino1, just wanted to let you know that I've moved your thread to the SGS3 Sprint all-things-root sub-forum for you.

A couple of questions for you:

1. What have you changed on your S3 since you've been rooted? (OTA's don't like to find devices that are not 100% stock).

2. You actually tried to install the OTA, right?

3. Do you still have root?

4. Can you view the /cache/recovery/last_log file? If you view this file after the OTA installation attempt, it should tell you why the OTA failed (look for the error messages near the bottom of the file). You'll need root to view this file, by the way.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
ok no problem and thanks for helping me.

1. What have you changed on your S3 since you've been rooted?
after I rooted which was a year ago, I also did the sprint mod for the wifi it
works great phone has been working with out any issues,
just started noticing google play does not see the phone matter of fact it has
gt-i9300 carrier softbank (which is very strange made me start thinking I have been hacked or something, want to do update to rule that out)

I also have the custom cwm-recovery-lte-sgs3-v5 which I can boot into it if you need more info about that?

2. You actually tried to install the OTA, right?
yes tried to install but it did not work gave an error
"invalid command argument"
then option to reboot
then on phone notification screen
I keep seeing system update downloaded touch to install

3. Do you still have root?
yes phone is still rooted

4. Can you view the /cache/recovery/last_log file? If you view this file after the OTA installation attempt, it should tell you why the OTA failed (look for the error messages near the bottom of the file). You'll need root to view this file, by the way.
----
this is what it says
---
(/cache/96601bec350a62b3083a86270fcdfc7a359fbe72.USER_L710_SPR_MK3_to_ND8_Update_FWD.zip))
radio.diff not found
Register_libbootloader_updater Qcom msm8960
Register_libbootloader_updater Qcom msm8960
open failed '/sys/fs/scfs/system_type' - No such file or directory
failed to stat "/system/app/ContainerAgent.apk": No such file or directory
file "/system/app/ContainerAgent.apk" doesn't have any of expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to load cache file
failed to stat "/data/.saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to load data file
script aborted: "/system/app/ContainerAgent.apk" has unexpected contents.
E :Error in /cache/96601bec350a62b3083a86270fcdfc7a359fbe72.USER_L710_SPR_MK3_to_ND8_Update_FWD.zip
(Status 7)
FOTA_update_success_log_result()
Update Fail. File is written. status = 7
Installation aborted.
stat() of /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 succeeded on try 1
copy_log_file :: create recovery log file '/cache/recovery/log'
stat() of /dev/block/mmcblk0p17 succeeded on try 1
copy_log_file :: create recovery log file '/cache/recovery/last_log'
copy_log_file :: create recovery log file '/cache/recovery/last_install'
key press -> key (116), visible(1)
copy_log_file :: create recovery log file '/cache/recovery/log'
stat() of /dev/block/mmcblk0p17 succeeded on try 1
copy_log_file :: create recovery log file '/cache/recovery/last_log'

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Yeah, looks like you've got quite a few non-stock files installed, including your recovery.

You'll not be able to install an OTA until you're back on a completely stock setup (you can be rooted since those are extra files, but you can't have any files that don't match what the OTA checks and expects).

I'll have to let the S3 root folks discuss your options for returning to stock if that's something you still want to do.

Upvote 0
Yeah, looks like you've got quite a few non-stock files installed, including your recovery.

You'll not be able to install an OTA until you're back on a completely stock setup (you can be rooted since those are extra files, but you can't have any files that don't match what the OTA checks and expects).

I'll have to let the S3 root folks discuss your options for returning to stock if that's something you still want to do.

really? I just remember doing the custom cwm, root and the sprint wifi mod.

how about backing up phone,
unrooting
do update
then root?

or just unroot
then run update?
then root?

Upvote 0
really? I just remember doing the custom cwm, root and the sprint wifi mod.

how about backing up phone,
unrooting
do update
then root?

or just unroot
then run update?
then root?

Well, like I mentioned, the OTA will cross-check all of the files that it intends to patch to make sure that they are of a known, patchable state prior to allowing the OTA installation to proceed.

So, if even just one file fails the apply_patch_check tests, then the OTA will fail to install. You're just seeing the first file that he found out-of-sync in the /cache/recovery/last_log file that I had you look into.

You'd have to get all of the files (including the recovery) that he finds back to stock--if you want to do this, you can:

- get my OTA Verifier app from the Play Store (it's free) [see the link in my signature]
- launch it and have it ready
- allow the OTA to re-download, but don't choose or allow it to install
- switch over to or launch my OTA verifier app, press Select File button and navigate to the /cache folder, find the OTA's .zip file, and long-press that filename, and select Verify updater-script

My app will then attempt to do the same type of cross-checks that the OTA does and will let you know which files it thinks are out-of-sync. It can't fix, replace, or update those files, but will give you an idea about how tall the mountain is that you have to climb to get back to stock.

Best of luck!

Reactions: DaisFlaque
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones