• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] Rooted Sprint S3 - OTA Questions

gary721

Lurker
Mar 4, 2013
i have a rooted sprint S3. i now have a message saying that i have a system update available. i selected to restart and install. when it restarted it was in cwm and asked if i wanted to "install an untrusted zip file"... i chose no and restart.

here are the questions... am i able to install system updates? are there any updates i should not install? is this "untrusted update" just a warning from cwm?

sorry if this is the umpteenth time you have had to answer this

G!

i have a rooted sprint S3. i now have a message saying that i have a system update available. i selected to restart and install. when it restarted it was in cwm and asked if i wanted to "install an untrusted zip file"... i chose no and restart.

here are the questions... am i able to install system updates? are there any updates i should not install? is this "untrusted update" just a warning from cwm?

sorry if this is the umpteenth time you have had to answer this

G!

You can install OTA files if you are on the stock ROM and flash the stock recovery first.

You'll have to reinstall your custom recovery using odin and probably have to re-flash the SU files afterward

Upvote 0
uh what?

i am on the stock rom (i think). i just rooted the phone and did not install any other roms. just wanted to tether for the computer.

not quite sure what you mean by flash the stock recovery? or how to do it.

if on stock rom, do i still have to "reinstall my custom recovery using odin and probably have to re-flash the SU files afterward?

im not a total newb, but not very suavy either. but, i can follow directions well! when i understand them.

thanks for the help in advance

Upvote 0
The ota requires the stock recovery in order to be installed correctly. If you have twrp or cwm it will fail.

There are flashable zips you can install from your custom recovery that will install the stock recovery.

Then you can safely accept the ota.

Following that, you'll basically have to follow the same instructions you used to root to get the custom recovery back on the phone and reflash the su files

Upvote 0
ok i am not sure if I totally screwed myself but here goes.

i had read in another posting, that if i checked the temp unroot of superuser, it would allow me to update. so i did that. the update took effect. i have 4.1.2 and MA6 on the phone. i did this update through cwm i think. after it updated it said something to the effect of "will flash stock recovery. fix? this cannot be undone!" i chose no and the phone robooted properly.

i went back to superuser to uncheck "temp unroot", and it does not allow me to do it. Shortly after that, the update screen came back up saying i have an update.

i have several questions now

1. should i have let it flash the stock recovery?
2. if i did, would i still have been able to re-root it?
3. should i unroot the phone, update and start over, or reinstall update as before and let it flash stock recovery?
4. how do i get the temp unroot turned off? is that because i need to root it again?

thank you. appears I am noobier than i first thought. i appreciate the help !
gary

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones