• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] Issues Rooting HTC One

apophus

Lurker
May 26, 2013
So, has anyone attempted to root an HTC One, yet? I unlocked the boot loader and flashed TWRP. But then, when I went to make a recovery it listed my internal memory at about 1.7 GB (I actually have something like 27 GB). Further, whenever I try to go through with it anyway, I get an error message that essentially tells me it is unable to mount /system. I'm honestly a bit stumped, and I've now attempted this twice to be sure I hadn't simply messed up somewhere.

I'd love some advice from someone who may know better than I do. I'm still relatively new at this.

what process did you use? sounds like you maybe have htcdumlock enabled,wich has installed twrp into the boot partition.

if thats the case,we need to restore your original boot image.

normally with htcdumlock,the recovery backups up the boot image,you flash the rom,and if needed,you can restore the original boot image.

not being that familiar with actually using dumlock,im not sure wat the exact settings are,but you might look for an option in recovery to restore the boot image.

failing that,you might try flashing a rom,or we can try and find you a stock boot image to flash using fastboot.

Upvote 0
Ok, I may have figured out what went wrong. So, I went ahead and relocked my boot loader and ran RUU to get back to square one. I unlocked the boot loader and stopped myself...I noticed a subtle difference with TWRP versions for the HTC One. It seems like there's a difference - one is 2.5.0.0-m7 and the other is 2.5.0.0-m7wls. I have the Sprint model (the latter version), not the AT&T/etc. model (the former version). Once I did that, it seems like all went well.

That's what I get for not paying more attention to details. It's a heads-up for anyone rooting an HTC One, at least.

Thank you for responding.

Upvote 0
yup.. the sprint and gsm variants are not compatible/interchangeable. admittedly, that was my first thot,but sincethe results you had are not what id have expected from flashing the wrong one,so i just assumed you had used the correct one,since it had booted and appeared to be working. :eek:

at any rate,im glad you are now sorted and back up and running. :)

Upvote 0
It seems my phone says it is unlocked but I cannot get anything to have root privileges. I gave up on goo manager and just downloaded superuser chainsdd then tried to download wifi tether and it told me I did not have root privileges and it wouldn't work. I have since relocked my phone and unlocked it through htc dev and it still won't take anything that requires root even though it says it is unlocked in the boot screen.

being unlocked does not give you root priveledges. you also cannot download the superuser app from the market,as this only installs the app,not the matching binary that the app needs to distribute root priveledges.

the basic steps to root are:
1)unlock bootloader
2)temporatily or permantly install a recovery
3)flash superuser root package in recovery

youve only done #1,not 2 or 3. use this guide to help you do steps 2 and 3: http://androidforums.com/international-one-all-things-root/720478-htc-one-root-thread.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones