• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Premier Upgrade Question

I highly doubt the EVO would be any cheaper than $199 (after any rebates/discounts) anywhere. That said, I'd love to get an EVO for even less, but I just can't realistically see Sprint selling EVO's for $50. Even for "premier customers".
The price they advertise, say it is $199 after rebate is the price you pay AFTER the $150 upgrade discount is applied. You won't be able to get it for $50.

but not every customer is a Premier customer, especially new customers. so then it should be $350(after mail-in rebate) for new customers and $200(after mail-in rebate) for premier customers

Upvote 0
I just want to get straight what you're saying.

Say for example, in my case, I have 3 lines (A,B,C)

Line A is the primary account (eligible for yearly upgrades).
If 1 year has gone by and Line A is happy with the phone he/she currently has Line A can use the 1 year upgrade, temporarily have their line connected to a "new phone" and swap the "new phone" to line B or C as soon as it's convenient, while also re-activating the "old" phone for Line A.

I hope that's correct. Can the swap happen immediately after the phone purchase or do you have to wait?

You can do a swap when you do the phone purchase. But like I said, I'd do it at Best Buy or somewhere that does instant rebates. Maybe it has recently changed, but in the past 10 years, whenever there is a mail-in rebate with Sprint, the phone has to be activated on the line that had the upgrade on it for 30 days or the rebate becomes invalid. I got around that once when I didnt understand how that worked, but it was a hassle and had to hound them when the rebate got denied.

So like I said, if you have any line that is eligible for the upgrade discount, you can go into Best Buy, purchase a phone using the upgrade discount and then they will immediately switch it to another line on your account of your choosing, and in that case their rebate is instant so you arent dealing with a mail-in rebate. If you do that directly with Sprint, I'd read the terms of the rebate very carefully, because doing that with a mail-in rebate has always invalidated the rebate.

I've been with Sprint for almost 11 years now and my advice is if the line you are upgrading isnt the one that is actually due the upgrade, just go to Best Buy or radio shack where the rebate is instant. If the line you are upgrading is the one that is due the upgrade, you can just go through Sprint and do the mail-in rebate if you like.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
but not every customer is a Premier customer, especially new customers. so then it should be $350(after mail-in rebate) for new customers and $200(after mail-in rebate) for premier customers

A premier customer just means you get the upgrade discount early. A new customer or a customer that is eligible for a upgrade discount that is not premier, still pays the same as a premier customer using an upgrade discount.

Being premier doesnt give you any more of a discount, just a discount every 12 months.

Upvote 0
A premier customer just means you get the upgrade discount early. A new customer or a customer that is eligible for a upgrade discount that is not premier, still pays the same as a premier customer using an upgrade discount.

i am just taking what i know from experience because when i moved my wife over to my account she got the new 2yr plan discount and the premier discount for a total of $300 for a $300 phone

hero2.jpg

top phone is with the upgrade.
bottom is without.

why would my wife be about to get both the instant savings and premier at the same time for her phone? but i don't get any extra discounts. because now i am confused

wifes receipt
wife.jpg

Upvote 0
why would my wife be about to get both the instant savings and premier at the same time for her phone? but i don't get any extra discounts. because now i am confused

You are confusing discounts. There can be other discounts applied to the phone, like "web only" discounts which looks like was applied to your wife's phone.

It is confusing, I know, and it depends on the phone you are getting. Plus the longer a phone is out, the price drops on it and it gets cheaper (like the hero in your case)

Upvote 0
You are confusing discounts. There can be other discounts applied to the phone, like "web only" discounts which looks like was applied to your wife's phone.

It is confusing, I know, and it depends on the phone you are getting.

ok. so even if i have an extra upgrade discount that sprint is giving me, and the EVO is $200(after mail-in rebate). it would still be $200 even if i use my upgrade discount. wtf? we should be able to use our discounts on top of the others because we earned them, on any phone we want

Upvote 0
The $150 is not off of the discount price, it is off the retail price, I think this is where the OP got confused. You will NEVER get a price cheaper than whats offered to a new customer. Only time is if you go through a 3rd party like wirefly or amazon, but its not gonna happen for a new flagship just out phone.

Exactly. For example, if the EVO ends up being advertised for $199, that is the cheapest you'll pay (might be after mail-in rebate so you might pay $299 up front in some cases) whether you are new, premier, or just have a line eligible for the $150 off upgrade.

Now amazon might have something possibly a little cheaper for new customers (like they are doing now with the incredible for $99).

Upvote 0
ok. so even if i have an extra upgrade discount that sprint is giving me, and the EVO is $200(after mail-in rebate). it would still be $200 even if i use my upgrade discount. wtf? we should be able to use our discounts on top of the others because we earned them, on any phone we want

Yup, that is exactly it. Whether it is right or not, that is how Sprint does it (because the $200 is the discounted price with the upgrade discount)

Reactions: GhostFlame
Upvote 0
The $150 is not off of the discount price, it is off the retail price, I think this is where the OP got confused. You will NEVER get a price cheaper than whats offered to a new customer. Only time is if you go through a 3rd party like wirefly or amazon, but its not gonna happen for a new flagship just out phone.

yea i am realizing that, but it should be that way because premier customers have earned the discounts that have

Upvote 0
some then only because the exclaim was out for a while meant she could get some extra discounts

I've found it helps to not think of it as a $150 discount, just an upgrade discount , and when you are due for yours look at the price of the phone you are looking at after discount, and that is what you pay. If you try to factor in how the $150 is applied it can get confusing sometimes.

Just remember, the premier discount isnt anything more than you being able to get an upgrade discount on one of your lines ever 12 months instead waiting the full length to get that same discount.

Reactions: GhostFlame
Upvote 0
I've found it helps to not think of it as a $150 discount, just an upgrade discount , and when you are due for yours look at the price of the phone you are looking at after discount, and that is what you pay. If you try to factor in how the $150 is applied it can get confusing sometimes.

Just remember, the premier discount isnt anything more than you being able to get an upgrade discount on one of your lines ever 12 months instead waiting the full length to get that same discount.

ok, i am still new to phone discounts/upgrade pricing

Upvote 0
You can do a swap when you do the phone purchase. But like I said, I'd do it at Best Buy or somewhere that does instant rebates. Maybe it has recently changed, but in the past 10 years, whenever there is a mail-in rebate with Sprint, the phone has to be activated on the line that had the upgrade on it for 30 days or the rebate becomes invalid. I got around that once when I didnt understand how that worked, but it was a hassle and had to hound them when the rebate got denied.

So like I said, if you have any line that is eligible for the upgrade discount, you can go into Best Buy, purchase a phone using the upgrade discount and then they will immediately switch it to another line on your account of your choosing, and in that case their rebate is instant so you arent dealing with a mail-in rebate. If you do that directly with Sprint, I'd read the terms of the rebate very carefully, because doing that with a mail-in rebate has always invalidated the rebate.

I've been with Sprint for almost 11 years now and my advice is if the line you are upgrading isnt the one that is actually due the upgrade, just go to Best Buy or radio shack where the rebate is instant. If the line you are upgrading is the one that is due the upgrade, you can just go through Sprint and do the mail-in rebate if you like.

Thanks so much for clarifying. I've been with Sprint close to the same amount of time, but never had to deal with multiple lines (until a couple years ago). That's a great thing to know, if I get the EVO now and say a year down the line I don't really need to upgrade, but one of my other lines want an upgrade, but aren't eligible!

And I agree, I go to Best Buy or Radio Shack for upgrades. Ever since my first experience buying my Touch Pro, I'm not sure I'd go any other route (unless Sprint / EVP / Corporate purchasing gets rid of the MIR).

Upvote 0

Also discount on accessories (well, given the fact that there are a lot of outside vendors that sell the same accessories for 10X's cheaper, I guess this isn't much of a discount).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones