• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Signal Booster

So I got a new EVO and I love it! So much so that I convinced a very good friend to get one as well. He loves the phone too, but the problem is he gets almost no signal in his apartment. It's not just a case of deceptively low bars either - I could barely understand anything he said when we talked on the phone tonight. I feel kind of guilty because he switched to Sprint from T-Mobile based on my recommendation, and now he doesn't know if he'll be able to keep the EVO if he can't make calls from home!

Another friend of mine said that when he's connected to WiFi on T-Mobile, everything - voice and data - goes through that. He suggested that my EVO friend should try connecting to WiFi and he should get good voice quality that way. T-Mobile apparently uses something like UMA to do this; does Sprint do anything similar?

I know Sprint sells devices to boost your signal or route through the internet or something like that, but I also know they charge for the device AND a monthly fee on top of that. My friend is very unlikely to go for that considering this is a problem with Sprint's network, not him.

Finally, I saw this device on Amazon which is supposed to boost a wireless signal. For a one-time fee of $80 after rebate, I think my friend might consider something like that. Would that work? Is it the best option?

Please help me help my friend keep his EVO!

I bought one of those boosters direct from the manufacturer (solid signal); what they don't tell you is it takes the signal outside your window and brings it inside. IOW if you have 1 bar outside all you will get is 1 bar inside. It doesn't amplify the outside signal at all; it just brings/extends it inside.

So the question is can your friend make a call outside his apartment? If so the booster may work but if he can't make a good call outside then the booster will be no help.

FYI, I sent mine back because I had 1 bar outside and none inside before the booster after the booster I had one bar inside but that was still not good enough for someone to understand me when I called out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones