• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sprint telling me I can't activate a rooted phone?

JBOY11

Nov 6, 2011
So I recently bought a used rooted EVO 4g from Ebay with Cyanogen 7 (because I'm not really tech savvy enough to figure out how to root an EVO myself). I called Sprint to activate it and they tried the ##****# codes and hands free activation with me and it didn't work. After trying many things, and talking with advanced tech support. They asked if the phone was rooted, and I said yes. The advanced tech support guy said that they wouldn't be able to activate my phone unless it was flashed back to the original UI. He recommended me to just return the phone back to the Ebay seller.

I'm not very tech savvy as I stated earlier, so I figured I would ask you talented people if it is possible to activate it before I decide to send it back to the seller and just get stock EVO.

Thanks!

So I recently bought a used rooted EVO 4g from Ebay with Cyanogen 7 (because I'm not really tech savvy enough to figure out how to root an EVO myself). I called Sprint to activate it and they tried the ##****# codes and hands free activation with me and it didn't work. After trying many things, and talking with advanced tech support. They asked if the phone was rooted, and I said yes. The advanced tech support guy said that they wouldn't be able to activate my phone unless it was flashed back to the original UI. He recommended me to just return the phone back to the Ebay seller.

I'm not very tech savvy as I stated earlier, so I figured I would ask you talented people if it is possible to activate it before I decide to send it back to the seller and just get stock EVO.

Thanks!
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes you can do it on a rooted phone but you need to be on a sense rom. cm7 is an aosp (android open source project). it is pure android with out any sense on it. so you need to flash a sense rom then have sprint activate your phone for you. i would try mikg2.59 to start. it is a very good rom that is stock but has sense 2.1 and sense 3.0 cooked in. go to the rom/kernel sticky to check it out. it is found in the gingerbread sense 2.1 section.

edit: great minds think a like.:D

Upvote 0
Since you said your not tech savvy and you didnt actually root the EVO I'm goign to walk you through how to put a new ROM on the phone.

First thing your going to do is download the required files for flashing. I would also suggest looking into flashing a custom kernel to improve battery life. It is just one extra step in the flashing process.

-Download Superwipe to make sure the phone is clean before installing the new ROM
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

-Download your ROM (I am linking MikG. It is faster, has less bloat, and has the hacked hotspot for free)
MikG info:
Change Log and Info (latest v2.59 - 10/27/2011))
MikG download link:

-Download your kernel (i would suggest lithids more freedom universal)
Info:
[Kernel][Sense][HDMwIn]Evo 4g Freedom-v0.9 Kernel GB MR 2.6.35.10 - xda-developers
Download:
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

-Now that you have these downloaded put them on the root (this means not in any subfolders) of your SD card. Connect your phone to a computer and you can select my computer and simply drag and drop onto your phone's drive

-Boot into recovery. This can be done by pulling the battery, inserting it back in, and holding power + volume down to get to your bootloader screen. From there you can select recovery and you will boot into recovery.

-Select Backup and restore and make a backup just in case anything goes wrong. This will save your phone in its current state and you can go back to it at any time as if nothing happened.

-Select Wipe
-Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache, and Data least least once each. I would suggest doing each 3x to make sure they are clean. Depending on your recovery Dalvik cache may be found under advanced.

-Select flash from zip
-Select the Superwipe and flash it
-Select your ROM and flash it
-Select your Kernel and Flash it

-Reboot

The first reboot will take a while because the phone rebuilds the Dalvik cache that you wiped in the booting process. Just be patient. If you followed all the steps there shouldnt be a problem

Upvote 0
Since you said your not tech savvy and you didnt actually root the EVO I'm goign to walk you through how to put a new ROM on the phone.

First thing your going to do is download the required files for flashing. I would also suggest looking into flashing a custom kernel to improve battery life. It is just one extra step in the flashing process.

-Download Superwipe to make sure the phone is clean before installing the new ROM

-Download your ROM (I am linking MikG. It is faster, has less bloat, and has the hacked hotspot for free)
MikG info:
Change Log and Info (latest v2.59 - 10/27/2011))
MikG download link:

-Download your kernel (i would suggest lithids more freedom universal)
Info:
[Kernel][Sense][HDMwIn]Evo 4g Freedom-v0.9 Kernel GB MR 2.6.35.10 - xda-developers
Download:
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

-Now that you have these downloaded put them on the root (this means not in any subfolders) of your SD card. Connect your phone to a computer and you can select my computer and simply drag and drop onto your phone's drive

-Boot into recovery. This can be done by pulling the battery, inserting it back in, and holding power + volume down to get to your bootloader screen. From there you can select recovery and you will boot into recovery.

-Select Backup and restore and make a backup just in case anything goes wrong. This will save your phone in its current state and you can go back to it at any time as if nothing happened.

-Select Wipe
-Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache, and Data least least once each. I would suggest doing each 3x to make sure they are clean. Depending on your recovery Dalvik cache may be found under advanced.

-Select flash from zip
-Select the Superwipe and flash it
-Select your ROM and flash it
-Select your Kernel and Flash it

-Reboot

The first reboot will take a while because the phone rebuilds the Dalvik cache that you wiped in the booting process. Just be patient. If you followed all the steps there shouldnt be a problem

Okay so I downloaded the files you posted, (by the way your 2nd link is the same as the 1st link but I still found the mikg download). So you say to put the files onto my SD card. Do I just put all 3 files by themselves, still zipped, just on the SD by themselves? Or do I put them in the clockworkmod folder? Or into another folder? This is where I am stuck at...

Upvote 0
Okay so I downloaded the files you posted, (by the way your 2nd link is the same as the 1st link but I still found the mikg download). So you say to put the files onto my SD card. Do I just put all 3 files by themselves, still zipped, just on the SD by themselves? Or do I put them in the clockworkmod folder? Or into another folder? This is where I am stuck at...
Not in any folder. Just on the 'root' of the card, meaning not in any folder, main directory.

-HN

Upvote 0

keep it zipped do not extract it. and just on the card and not in any folders.

Upvote 0
So I did just drag it from my downloads (still zipped) to my "removable disk (f)"...

Pulled the battery, and held down the + volume and power button at the same time. The phone then vibrated 3 times and nothing ever came up on the screen...

help :(

to get to recovery you need to hold vol down not up along with the power button.

Reactions: JBOY11
Upvote 0
So I selected the rom and kernel from zip and it installed. But when I chose superwipe, it said I didn't need to install it because I was running 2.1 or 3.0 or something like that. So I left it be, is that okay????

I then rebooted it... It took a bit to boot up as the user stated... but it looks great. Now I just have to see if Sprint can activate it under my account now. Crossing my fingers! I'll be back to tell the results.

Upvote 0
WOO HOO I got my phone working, and they said my internet will be up within the next hour. Thanks for everybody's input on helping me through this with baby steps! You guys are the best!

I do have a few more questions because I am new to this whole rooting thing. With the ROM I have on here now, what are the benefits?

-Can I get free tethering on this ROM? wirelessly using my EVO as a hot spot? or is it just by connecting my laptop or tablet to my phone via a cord? I see a hotspot icon on the phone, If I turn it on will it cost me money?

-Any other perks to having this ROM? (Like any cool things I can do?)

-Is it worth getting the bigger battery (3500V) and newback battery door?

-Anything else I need to know?

Upvote 0
So I selected the rom and kernel from zip and it installed. But when I chose superwipe, it said I didn't need to install it because I was running 2.1 or 3.0 or something like that. So I left it be, is that okay????

I think it said it wasn't needed because you flashed the Rom and then tried to wipe. You generally want to wipe dalvick cache, cache, data, then superwipe, then flash Rom, and Kernel if it's wanted.

Glad you got it working! I believe the wireless Hotspot should be unlocked but I don't know for sure. Enjoy your new phone!
The battery is up to you. Mine would last longer if I could put it down.

Naters

Reactions: JBOY11 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
WOO HOO I got my phone working, and they said my internet will be up within the next hour. Thanks for everybody's input on helping me through this with baby steps! You guys are the best!

I do have a few more questions because I am new to this whole rooting thing. With the ROM I have on here now, what are the benefits?

-Can I get free tethering on this ROM? wirelessly using my EVO as a hot spot? or is it just by connecting my laptop or tablet to my phone via a cord? I see a hotspot icon on the phone, If I turn it on will it cost me money?

-Any other perks to having this ROM? (Like any cool things I can do?)

-Is it worth getting the bigger battery (3500V) and newback battery door?

-Anything else I need to know?

yes you can tether. it has the sprint hotspot hacked. also you can use one of these wifi tethering apps:Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

with battery and phones, it will always be YRMV. every phone is different and reacts differently. as far as battery life you should look into kernels and using setcpu to underclock with a screen off profile. i really do not like those big ass batteries. they ruin the look of the evo. plus i can get really good battery life depending on the kernel and what type of rom i'm on.

my suggestion is to read this:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html. just read the after rooting section.

for kernels:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/389360-kernels-dummies.html
for setcpu:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/210253-setcpu-guide.html

also get titanium backup to backup your app and data. and also you can freeze or delete unwanted bloatware (mikg has bloatware already removed).

hopefully you will have some tools now to go and get your flash on:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones