• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sprint vs. ME

I was granted a minute to check my phone, but I quickly learned about the battery life of my Evo :) I will definitely check at home, where I have a charger :)

Anyone else curious why his phone running Cyanogen is almost dead when we are only halfway through a day at the latest? :) If you help him out tonight you might want to point him to battery saving tips haha.

Upvote 0
LOL, I was looking for the thread once he said his batter was almost dead.

Yeah thats a good thread for basic stuff everyone can do, thanks. I actually might walk through it myself later today just to make sure I have optimal settings, to be honest i never did that, just skipped right to changing kernels and cpu speeds lol. Sometimes the simplest soultion is the best. Probably dont want to muddle the thread up with talk about kernels, havs, sbc, and over/underclocking just yet haha.

Upvote 0
Yeah thats a good thread for basic stuff everyone can do, thanks. I actually might walk through it myself later today just to make sure I have optimal settings, to be honest i never did that, just skipped right to changing kernels and cpu speeds lol. Sometimes the simplest soultion is the best. Probably dont want to muddle the thread up with talk about kernels, havs, sbc, and over/underclocking just yet haha.

We'll help u get activated with Sprint first. Then will let the flashing and tweaking madness begin lol.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums :). That is correct - you need a Sense based ROM in order for that to work. It is assumed that nobody would flash an AOSP based ROM such as CM before activating their phone. AOSP means the ROM is based on Google source, and does not include any of the Sense modifications. As a result, certain base functionality such as this is broken. The seller really should have *at least* flashed a different ROM for you (or even unrooted it, to be completely fair), since you obviously need to activate the phone.

That being said, do you understand what root is? Is it something you want to keep? If you'd like to keep root, I can show you how to just flash a different ROM. If you don't care about it, I can also give you the instructions for unrooting. Since you're brand new to this, the instructions might seems a bit daunting, but if you follow them exactly, you'll be fine.

Either way, can you please answer these questions:

1) Turn the phone off, then turn it back on while pressing and holding the volume down button. That will take you to hboot. What is your hboot version?
2) Do you have S-OFF or S-ON? It will say up at the top in hboot.
2) While you're there, what does it say your baseband radio version is?
3) While in hboot, select the recovery menu option. That should take you to a black screen. If you have a custom recovery, you will see either Clockwork or Amon RA at the top. Can you describe exactly what happens?
4) Assuming you *do* have a custom recovery, what does it say it is at the top, and what version is it?

Supersonic EVT2-3 ENG S-OFF
HBOOT-0.76.2000 (PC3610000)
MI CROP-041f
Touch panel0ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.09.01
Mar 30 2010, 11:24:04

After I select recovery:
ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.5

-reboot system now
-apply update from firmware
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sdcard
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advanced
-***Go Back***

Upvote 0
There's nothing on the phone that I need, besides CM. It's fairly new :)

So do you want to keep CM, or do you want to go back to a Sense ROM? Remember, you don't need CM to use wireless tether. Certainly keep CM if you want it, though.

EDIT: One other question. Do you know what version of CM you have? Your baseband radio version is one version behind, but that could mean anything in terms of your current CM version.

Upvote 0
So do you want to keep CM, or do you want to go back to a Sense ROM? Remember, you don't need CM to use wireless tether. Certainly keep CM if you want it, though.

EDIT: One other question. Do you know what version of CM you have? Your baseband radio version is one version behind, but that could mean anything in terms of your current CM version.

CyanogenMod 6.1.2.

Upvote 0
CyanogenMod 6.1.2.

Ok, well I'll just assume you want to go back to CM when you're done, and you can modify these steps or pick a different route accordingly.

1) Right now you have Clockwork 3.0.0.5. Without going into too much detail, I'll just say that you won't be able to flash certain things with that. For now, you should use Clockwork 2.6.0.1. If you open ROM manager, you should have the option to flash it. If not, select the option to flash an alternate recovery. It should be Amon RA 2.2.1 or 2.3 (not sure what version ROM manager is up to now). Since you don't have any nandroid backups yet or any real reason not to switch, go ahead and just leave it at that. RA is a good recovery.

2) In ROM manager, select the option to reboot into recovery. Once you do, the phone will reboot and boot back up into recovery. It will be whatever version of RA that you flashed. Select the option that says nandroid, then backup. It will prompt you for what to backup. Choose boot, system, data, cache (not all that necessary), and wimax. Let it backup. It will take a few minutes.

3) Go here and download the zip file that is linked to in that thread. It is a rooted version of the 3.29.651.5 OTA, with no other changes. Let me know if you want to actually stick with a Sense ROM, and we can discuss a better ROM. For now, though, if all you want to do is get it activated, then go back to CM, this will do fine.

4) Copy the zip file to the root (top level) of your sdcard. Reboot into recovery, again, then select the option to wipe. Wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache. Once it is done, go back, then select the option to flash a zip from the sdcard. Once you are given a list, select the zip file that you downloaded. Follow the prompts to flash it.

5) Once it is done, reboot, and the phone should boot up to a clean Sense ROM. At that point, call Sprint, and have them activate it. Do *not* accept any OTA updates if prompted, and do not do it manually if instructed by Sprint. Your phone is still rooted, and you *will* mess up root. You have the eng bootloader, so you'd likely lose root altogether (assuming unrevoked was never used).

6) At this point, if you'd like to go back to CM, reboot into recovery, select the nandroid option, then select restore. You will be given a list of previous backups. Select the backup you made at the beginning. Once it is done, you should be back in CM, with an activated phone. Note that you only have to activate the phone once. Switching ROMs does not undo it.

ALTERNATE METHOD:

Since your radios are a little out of date, you might consider updating them to the latest version. You *might* have an issue restoring your nandroid backup, but you'd probably be fine. You have the latest stable CM, so that's good. If you want to do this, do everything through step 2 (finish your backup), but instead of flashing that one ROM, flash the PC36IMG.zip version of this ROM. As you're just going to a generic Sense ROM temporarily, this is the easiest method. Follow the instructions on that page to flash it. It's done from hboot, not recovery. Once it is done flashing, you can boot up, and have the phone activated. After that, you should be able to restore your nandroid backup. You will have a different radio version, though. If it causes a problem, you can reflash CM or downgrade your radio. We can help you with either if it's an issue.

Upvote 0
After I selected back up/restore, I was given the option of nandroid back and a few others. I assumed this is what you meant earlier and selected nandroid back up. It asked me to confirm and I did. Now it says performing backup. Did I screw up? It just completed backup is at the same back/up restore menu.

Selections are
-return
-nand backup
-nan + ext backup
-nand restore
-backup google proprietary system files
-restore google proprietary system files

Upvote 0
Oy, my bad. This is what happens when I write things off the top of my head. I assume you're trying to make the nandroid backup. Just select the option that says backup/restore, then choose the partitions I listed above (system, data, etc.). Sorry about that.

I wasn't presented with the parition options :/

Edit: I was given sdcard partition options

Upvote 0
Ah, ok, the version of ROM manager you have must be way out of date. Not a problem. The backup you made should be just fine. In any case, you can get RA 2.2.1 or 2.3 from here. Follow the instructions to flash it (using a PC36IMG.zip file). You don't have to do that right now if you don't want to. RA 1.8 will work, but I do suggest you update eventually. You can proceed with the rest of the steps, or are you confused about what to do next?

Reactions: Tempusfugit
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones