• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint vs. T-Mobile

I just recently (2 days ago) received my EVO 3D in the mail, and I just switched off T-Mobile. This is a very, VERY interesting thread. One thing that's perfectly clear is that depending on where you live, YMMV. Here's what I have observed.

First off, I am coming from T-Mobile where I had an HTC G2 overclocked and SetCPU throttling my CPU when needed. I live in Raleigh, NC and live in the downtown area. I have been a T-Mo customer ever since I was bought out from my former carrier (whose name I can't recall). I am a heavy data user for reasons others have noted. I listen to Spotify, use my phone to work at odd places over Remote Desktop, I download ROM's regularly (100 MB a pop). I am also used to an unlimited nationwide calling and data plan for my wife and I.

The following is a summary of what I have observed after beating my EVO 3D to death for two days now:

- T-Mobile has a far superior data network here in Raleigh. I don't take this lightly. I am used to having a 4G connection everywhere I go. It's generally uninterrupted. I can start a download or listen to some tracks on spotify and drive from home to work (2 miles) and it has a solid 3+ bar signal. Running SpeedTest from various locations, even in my office, I was used to seeing 4 Megabit - 6 Megabit download and 2+ Megabit upload speeds with 40-50ms latency. This is what I was accustomed to. With the WiMax 4G service offered on the EVO 3D on Sprints network, this if quite the polar opposite. I have a terrible signal in my house, sitting by a window. The 4G signal is just awful. 1 bar in my house. When it drops, I have to manually have it try to reconnect. I have rooted the phone and adjusted some settings (removing the Sprint proxy and other small things), but that made only minor improvements. Driving in to work, where I listen to HQ streams of music, the 4G signal drops.. many times. I re-scan, and it latches on, only to fall off again. it's not until I'm outside my building downtown (off Fayetteville St.) that I see a strong 4G / WiMax signal. This really irks the hell outta me. On top of that, running speed test, most of the time, I'm seeing 1-2.2 Megabit download and 200k-1.1 Megabit upload with a 150ms or higher latency with WiMax. With the strongest signal today, outside my building, I clocked a measly 2.8 Megabit download and 1.9 upload speed. Inside my building, it's even worse. This is just sad.

- The call quality over the CDMA network is inferrior to T-Mobiles GSM network. I have had many conversations on the phone in the past two days... all of them experienced more glitches, warbly codec related artifacts, and dropouts. I found a hack to override the codec when I place calls, which I haven't tested, but I shouldn't have to do that. The call quality, side-by-side really is bad. Reminds me of my first PCS cell phone.

- The battery life of the HTC 3D EVO is pretty bad. The battery life on my G2, with the custom ROM and SetCPU was quite respectable. I could charge overnight, use it all day on and off, listening to music, get home at 6:30 and it would have a 40% charge that would last me into the night. if I charged it at work, I would never have to worry about it. With the 3D EVO, it wants to die on me not too long after lunch time.. which is just bad. I'm still shaving off stuff from the OS and I do feel there is hope for improvement with a newer kernel that can play nice with SetCPU, but the stock OS and configuration is sad. BTW, I never have GPS on unless needed. BLutooth only in the car.

Other things that I noticed:
- The signal tends to hop around way more than I ever saw with T-mo. In fact, i can walk around my building dowtown and observe it hopping towers at a maddening rate with OpenSignal (an app). Fortunately, it seems to hang on to calls fairly well.
- The whole deal with having to treat the 4g/WiMax service as a "use it only when you need it" is a royal pain in the ass and a huge leap backward from a data user perspective. It's a hassle that just frustrates the heck outta me. I'll be listening to something in the car, and it will just start the track over. I unlock the screen to see what happened, and I notice that it switched from 4G to 3G.. grr. Or vice versa. Also, having two radios to deal with is another reason the battery likes to die quicker. Toss in the WiFi radio and you've got yourself a nice handwarmer.

Over the last 3 years as being a customer, I experienced T-Mobiles infrastructure go from OK to pretty darn good. I had data service, and phone service all up the East coast through NY. Even two weeks ago, my phones data service in Manhattan was fabulous. It runs circles around this WiMax stuff I'm seeing today.

I should also mention that I talked to T-Mo about the data throttling. They did indeed start throttling me at 2GB a couple months ago. I also found out that they have a plan, for just a few bucks more, that gives you 5 GB unthrottled.

Regarding Google Voice, I got confirmation today (from a Sprint support person) that whether you choose to use your Sprint # or your existing GV #, all calls to and from the GV # (From the phone) will be treated as mobile-to-mobile. (There was some issues a couple months ago that caused GV integration to see calls as land-line to mobile, thereby you would be billed landline minutes if you used GV integration)

I hope this helps someone. All the 4G hype doesn't mean anything to me. The proof is in the pudding. In this case, I personally feel a little buyers remorse. The smooth compatiability of the 3G/4G service and great performance of the T-Mobile network here in Raleigh is astounding.

Anyway... I still have a solid 3.5 weeks to play this game. I absolutely love the 3D technology and the phone itself. I do tinker with Android development, so this phone is a great addition. The display is pretty nice too (for reading, etc.). But all things considered, I'm seriously starting to reconsider. Even if I do save a few bucks a month, the subpar network in this area is killing me.

Cheers!
-Sean
Raleigh, NC

Upvote 0
Welcome Sean to AF.com!! Thanks for your comments.

The one thing I have to say about battery life - is that it really depends on your carrier signal.

I have pretty good coverage, and I charge my Evo 3D maybe every day and a half. By the time 36 hours rolls around, I'm usually at 40% of battery life on my Evo 3D. That is definitely by far the best smartphone battery life I've ever had, even better than my iPhone.

And my Evo is completely stock, nothing custom at all. So the take away is that it really depends on your carrier coverage. Coverage good - battery good. Coverage bad - battery will suffer.

Upvote 0
AndroidSPCS, thanks for the insight. I think you're spot-on with respect to CDMA. I've read in other places, and just today had a coworker explain how they kept having battery problems due to the spotty coverage in the area. Interesting. I did find out today that roaming onto Verizons towers is just like native usage (the unlimited data is still unlimited), with the only thing being lost is the unlimited mobile to mobile from 7am to 7pm. This was encouraging because it allowed me to surf the web at Red Lobster when Sprint had no signal! :)
Still deciding...

Upvote 0
I can give you a great comparison since I just went from Sprint to Tmobile and back to Sprint in the last 2 months. I am in Souther California by Disneyland with towers all around, so this is a great coverage area most the time. In a nutshell, T-Mobile is pathetic. Their 4G is NOT true 4G speed wise, its 4G and 3G are the same thing. In fact, its even slower than Sprints 3G most the time. Tmobile's 4G topped out around 1.5Mbps here while I have had over 12Mbps with Sprint. Even Sprint's 3G can easily exceed 1.5 Lets not forget that Tmobile also caps you and slows down your data once you reach 2GB.

Since Tmobile has no true 4G, when you drop out of it into 2G, you can pretty much forget using your phone unless its to make a quick call. I couldnt even get the Fandango app to work to check movie times while in 2G and had to wait till we left that area, truly pathetic. If you live in apartment buildings, you can pretty much forget having service in your place. Even on the top floor here (4th floor) I had to use their WiFi calling feature just to have a signal. Again, just pathetic.

In the end, I didnt care how much I loved the HTC Sensation if it was on such a lousy provider. Took it back and went back to Sprint. Now I have service everywhere I go. I should have known better. I drove cross country with Sprint twice and got coverage. Even good enough to use my Evo tethering internet to my laptop and iPad. Only place we didnt really get service was in the middle of the New Mexico desert, but thats to be expected. With T-Mobile, I would drop signal in places just around Orange County and LA with towers everywhere...I would stay away from TMobile at all costs.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
I am getting a new phone soon. And can't get AT&T or Verizon. I can either get T-Mobile or Sprint. I have played with the HTC sensation 4G and the HTC EVO 4G and 3D. I wanted to know what is the best carrier for the money? I would either be getting the unlimited plan through Sprint or the 5GB unlimited through T-Mobile. But I want to the which phone you would recommend and what carrier is better? Thanks!!

Upvote 0
questions like these really do not help the OP in the end. everyone will have their own opinion and there will be many.

fanboys of both camps will tell you their carrier of choice is "waaaay better" than the other and vice versa.

what i would recommend you to do is do some legwork. walk into a store on each carrier and test the handset(s) you like. the carrier coverage in your area may be worse or better then someone else's area. how would that benefit you?

there are forums for each handset that you are interested in. take a stroll to each and see whats being said about the handsets. real world data is more beneficial to you.

if you go with sprint and their coverage is poor in your area, that would make the handsets performance suffer also. same with tmo and their coverage in your area.

a good rule of thumb... see which carrier gives you the best coverage in YOUR area FIRST. then proceed with step two--demo'ing those handsets on the best carrier in your area. if they both have equal coverage then still get to demo'ing and form your own opinion. :)

happy shopping.

Upvote 0
questions like these really do not help the OP in the end. everyone will have their own opinion and there will be many.

fanboys of both camps will tell you their carrier of choice is "waaaay better" than the other and vice versa.

what i would recommend you to do is do some legwork. walk into a store on each carrier and test the handset(s) you like. the carrier coverage in your area may be worse or better then someone else's area. how would that benefit you?

there are forums for each handset that you are interested in. take a stroll to each and see whats being said about the handsets. real world data is more beneficial to you.

if you go with sprint and their coverage is poor in your area, that would make the handsets performance suffer also. same with tmo and their coverage in your area.

a good rule of thumb... see which carrier gives you the best coverage in YOUR area FIRST. then proceed with step two--demo'ing those handsets on the best carrier in your area. if they both have equal coverage then still get to demo'ing and form your own opinion. :)

happy shopping.

+1.. otherwise you are just setting yourself up for trouble and disappointment

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

happy shopping.

agreed.

Upvote 0
So I currently have T-Mobile's classic 1000 minutes & unlim. texting plan and my contract expired in August. I'm currently deciding whether to go with Sprint or T-Mobile. I've never had a data plan and I feel like I'm going to be using a lot of data, but my mom and my sister doesn't. Which carrier would be cheaper and/or have the best coverage here (Tampa, FL)?

Upvote 0
Do you know anyone in your area who has Sprint? Are they happy?

You will get a variety of answers from people in the forum. As for me, I have been with Sprint for 9 years. Coverage, both 3 and 4G is excellent here. I live about 10 miles outside of Nashville, TN. Customer service for me has been pleasant to deal with. This past weekend we had tower outages and once I reported it, they thanked me for reporting it, kept me informed on my ticket's status and I ended up receiving a $25.00 credit to my account. They are working on their new Network Vision plan of improving 3G and moving to LTE in 2013. I noticed that after last weekend's outage my 3G speeds are even better than before, anywhere between 1.2 and 3 mpbs down and at times up to 5 or so, depending on the time of day. I also like the fact that my data is truly unlimited. One less thing for me to track or worry about. My bill is always the same.

I guess the bottom line is it depends on coverage in your area. I have great coverage and experiences so my post is positive. There are some who post here who are in fringe or weak coverage areas that don't have very good service and they are not happy. Make sure you talk to anyone you can think of who has Sprint where you live and work and if you do decide to try them out, test fully at different times of the day in as many locations you frequent as possible.

Good luck and hope to see you around :)

Upvote 0
Do you know anyone in your area who has Sprint? Are they happy?

You will get a variety of answers from people in the forum. As for me, I have been with Sprint for 9 years. Coverage, both 3 and 4G is excellent here. I live about 10 miles outside of Nashville, TN. Customer service for me has been pleasant to deal with. This past weekend we had tower outages and once I reported it, they thanked me for reporting it, kept me informed on my ticket's status and I ended up receiving a $25.00 credit to my account. They are working on their new Network Vision plan of improving 3G and moving to LTE in 2013. I noticed that after last weekend's outage my 3G speeds are even better than before, anywhere between 1.2 and 3 mpbs down and at times up to 5 or so, depending on the time of day. I also like the fact that my data is truly unlimited. One less thing for me to track or worry about. My bill is always the same.

I guess the bottom line is it depends on coverage in your area. I have great coverage and experiences so my post is positive. There are some who post here who are in fringe or weak coverage areas that don't have very good service and they are not happy. Make sure you talk to anyone you can think of who has Sprint where you live and work and if you do decide to try them out, test fully at different times of the day in as many locations you frequent as possible.

Good luck and hope to see you around :)

I tested on one of my friend's EVO 3D (I think it's the 3D...) at my church about 15 minutes away from my house. His speeds, if I recall correctly, were around 500ms for ping, 150Kb/s download and 100Kb/s upload.
But that doesn't help much seeing how all four cell phones service providers have quite horrendous reception at my church (AT&T get about 2 bars, T-Mobile has no signal most of the time, Verzion 1-2 bars and Sprint 1-2 bars).

Upvote 0
I tested on one of my friend's EVO 3D (I think it's the 3D...) at my church about 15 minutes away from my house. His speeds, if I recall correctly, were around 500ms for ping, 150Kb/s download and 100Kb/s upload.
But that doesn't help much seeing how all four cell phones service providers have quite horrendous reception at my church (AT&T get about 2 bars, T-Mobile has no signal most of the time, Verzion 1-2 bars and Sprint 1-2 bars).

Hmm, if all get poor reception at your church then that probably isn't the best place to test. It does seem, though, that Sprint does perform better there than T-Mobile, whom you are currently with. I have to be honest though, those 3G speeds aren't good. If you can get better test results elsewhere then Sprint may be a good choice for you. If not, you may want to consider Verizon. Sprint and Verizon are equal in service here, yet Sprint is cheaper. T-Mobile isn't good here at all and AT&T isn't much better so if Sprint weren't so good here I would use Verizon. If Sprint's service isn't very good in other areas you test and Verizon is better, it may be worth it for you to pay extra for dependable service.

Upvote 0
Hmm, if all get poor reception at your church then that probably isn't the best place to test. It does seem, though, that Sprint does perform better there than T-Mobile, whom you are currently with. I have to be honest though, those 3G speeds aren't good. If you can get better test results elsewhere then Sprint may be a good choice for you. If not, you may want to consider Verizon. Sprint and Verizon are equal in service here, yet Sprint is cheaper. T-Mobile isn't good here at all and AT&T isn't much better so if Sprint weren't so good here I would use Verizon. If Sprint's service isn't very good in other areas you test and Verizon is better, it may be worth it for you to pay extra for dependable service.

Well AT&T and Verizon are a bit too expensive for me. I'll try getting a speediest done near my house thanks :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones